RIP Tommy Ramone

zarfnober
Top Producer

RIP Tommy Ramone

Postby zarfnober » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:40 pm

Can't believe no one has mentioned this yet, but Tommy Ramone passed away this past friday. He convinced Johnny and Dee Dee to start a band, they got Joey on drums and Dee Dee sang and played bass. Tommy made some suggestions on how the drums should sound, and Joey couldn't keep up, and Dee Dee wasn't the best singer. So....they get Tommy to play drums, Joey becomes singer and Tommy writes Blitzkrieg Bop, because they felt they needed a song with a chant(Saturday Night by the Bay City Rollers was a big hit) and the rest is history.

Tommy was born Thomas Erdelyi in Budapest, Hungary in 1949 to Jewish parents that survived the Holocaust by hiding in peoples houses, they came to the US in 1953. Tommy had been in hospice care for bile duct cancer when he died at home.

IMO, the Ramones are the most influential rock band in history, sorry Beatles, but the 4 guys from Forest hills High School are still top of the heap. It took just 38 years for their first album to finally go gold, about 2 months ago. Looks like Tommy finally got his gold watch.

RIP Tommy.
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

cal0101

Re: RIP Tommy Ramone

Postby cal0101 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:23 pm

Hey ho it's sad to see him go.
My 1960 Euro spec VW beetle ragtop

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:01 am

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:21 am

zarfnober wrote:Can't believe no one has mentioned this yet, but Tommy Ramone passed away this past friday. He convinced Johnny and Dee Dee to start a band, they got Joey on drums and Dee Dee sang and played bass. Tommy made some suggestions on how the drums should sound, and Joey couldn't keep up, and Dee Dee wasn't the best singer. So....they get Tommy to play drums, Joey becomes singer and Tommy writes Blitzkrieg Bop, because they felt they needed a song with a chant(Saturday Night by the Bay City Rollers was a big hit) and the rest is history.

Tommy was born Thomas Erdelyi in Budapest, Hungary in 1949 to Jewish parents that survived the Holocaust by hiding in peoples houses, they came to the US in 1953. Tommy had been in hospice care for bile duct cancer when he died at home.

IMO, the Ramones are the most influential rock band in history, sorry Beatles, but the 4 guys from Forest hills High School are still top of the heap. It took just 38 years for their first album to finally go gold, about 2 months ago. Looks like Tommy finally got his gold watch.

RIP Tommy.

I was thinking the same thing.
I wasn't sure where to post it.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:47 pm

The greatest band ever just got back together.

RIP Tommy. You did a great thing.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:06 am

Without his choice bands too numerous to mention wouldn't have formed in the way they did including Joy Division.

So thanks to him.

- Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

Return to “Music Related”