The Ramones?

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Re: The Ramones?

Postby oipunkguy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:00 am

hey brutus,

these trems were made of folded aluminum, and only used on the johnny model, the original slab body ventures 2. these guitars were invited by andy moseley, semie's brother, and vice president on mosrite guitars, and were made only in the year 1965, and by some accounts made only between may and june of that year.
however, I think i might have seen a few made later on that year. the tremolo is probably the most similar to the old fashioned modesto trems found on old gibsons SG's and melody makers. look up tim's website at timguitar.com/au and he has a lot of info about these guitars, and look up this topic on this forum.
Semie made Ramones Mosrite
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Univoxer

Postby Univoxer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:45 pm

Ha! When I read the OP I thought I shouldn't bother putting in my negative view of them but I scrolled down and bam!, my opinion by gogoriotgirl176! Sometimes, age can get in the way but I'm a melody and harmony man. The Ramones are neither, they're noise. A big deal is made because Johnny Ramone, the guitar player, uses what looks like a Mosrite but I think it's a UNIVOX HI-FLYER with the appropriate decals! And most of the younger set have no idea who The Ventures are and think that Johnny and Kurt Cobain own the Mosrite name!

Whew! I better stop.

Dennisthe Menace wrote:
gogoriotgirl76 wrote:Anyone on here like The Ramones or any kind of pop punk type of music??? :?: Just curious!!!

Can't stand them........ :roll:

mosman
Top Producer

Postby mosman » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:17 am

No ... Johnny played a Mosrite.
I doubt Semie Moseley would have made a Ramones model if Johnny played a Univox.
I'm 51 and I've loved the Ramones since '77 and it was their obvious 60's pop influence that got me into them.
If you don't think their songs are harmonious or melodic that's okay ... but they sure are catchy.

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:49 am

I've always been a Ramones fan but that's not the only music I enjoy. I like the Ventures as much as anybody on here maybe less and it is true that the ventures and joe maphis etc.. made mosrite a household name but there's other reasons why somebody buys a guitar. Not because joe schmoe plays on so I gotta get one. It's more of a search for the perfect tone, I've been that guy who bought one of those signature series "brand-x" guitar and I didn't get the same tone as I wanted out of it. If I buy or build a Johnny Ramone style guitar it's not because he used one it's because I can use the design and tailor it to my sound. And also the univox hi-flyer wasn't a very good guitar in my opinion cause I owned one and wasn't liking it.

Chemo
Top Producer

Postby Chemo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:24 am

mosman wrote:No ... Johnny played a Mosrite.

Exactly. And several of them. Here's a nice presentation of his instruments: http://www.rockometer.com/ramones/g_start.html
This concludes my report from outer space. Now, back to studio!

johnnyboy1234

Postby johnnyboy1234 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:25 am

They are the reason I started playing guitar...and collect Mosrites. I am originally from N.H. and when I was 15 I was in a band with G.G. Allin (the Jabbers). I also collect Ramones stuff I have the knife, frisbees , all the 45's..just missing the bat. So yeah... you could say I like the Ramones.
1965 Mosrite Ventures II
1966 Mosrite Mark V
1984 Gibson Les Paul
1985 Fender Telecaster
1992 Gibson Les Paul

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:40 pm

The Ramones are as important to rock music as Elvis, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, or Jimi Hendrix. There's a reason why they are in the RNR hall of fame. The Ramones were not only extremely talented musicians, but they also had a pop sensibility that you can't find anymore. The melodies they wrote were extortionary in the least.

....Just imagine the beach boys with a lot more balls.
8-) :P 8-) :P 8-) :P 8-) :P

by the way, I have 4 different Ventures albums, and I listen to them regularly.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Univoxer

Postby Univoxer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:12 pm

Well, Johnny DID play a modified UNIVOX!

All of those guitars he owned, straight and modified, and yet he was a 3-chord player. Just a wall of screech! FYI, I saw The Ramones, Blondie, Television, Patti Smith, etc., at CBGB's and the immediacy of seeing them live did not result in as much enjoyment as hearing their CDs. You can tell that I'm not a live peformance person. However, the groups I did enjoy live were The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Santana, John Lennon, The Chambers Brothers, and a host of older groups. Even Spider was great. There's no one out there that I want to see live.

Catchy? Not to these old ears. And to put the nail in the coffin, I can't stand to look at Joey!

mosman wrote:No ... Johnny played a Mosrite.
I doubt Semie Moseley would have made a Ramones model if Johnny played a Univox.
I'm 51 and I've loved the Ramones since '77 and it was their obvious 60's pop influence that got me into them.
If you don't think their songs are harmonious or melodic that's okay ... but they sure are catchy.

Univoxer

Postby Univoxer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:16 pm

Oh, oh! The last time I heard talk like this was in the mid-'70s when I worked for a music publication named "Gig" and one of the "creative" writers told me Elvis Costello was the next "god." Yeah, right!

Your comments equating The Ramones with real legends makes me laugh (not meant offensively). Of course people like them, for some reason they got a notoriety that could be attributed to their looks, CBGB, but certainly NOT to musical talent. Elvis and Beatles, groundbreakers. Everybody else, wannabe's. A lot of people that do not deserve the praise heaped upon them, such as skankerina Patti Smith, or John Mellencamp, as examples, are inducted into Halls they have no belonging in while others that are considered legends and not just by a few, such as The Moody Blues, have to wait for some jerk to decide it's time. Yet The Ramones get in. There is NO justice!

oipunkguy wrote:The Ramones are as important to rock music as Elvis, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, or Jimi Hendrix. There's a reason why they are in the RNR hall of fame. The Ramones were not only extremely talented musicians, but they also had a pop sensibility that you can't find anymore. The melodies they wrote were extortionary in the least.

mosman
Top Producer

Postby mosman » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:44 pm

oipunkguy wrote:The Ramones are as important to rock music as Elvis, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, or Jimi Hendrix. There's a reason why they are in the RNR hall of fame. The Ramones were not only extremely talented musicians, but they also had a pop sensibility that you can't find anymore. The melodies they wrote were extortionary in the least.

Well said ,and the most important thing the Ramones brought to music was FUN! You won't get that from the Moody Blues
Their name alone gives that away.

Return to “Music Related”