ONE favorite Venture album and why

Haole Jim
Top Producer

ONE favorite Venture album and why

Postby Haole Jim » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:06 pm

Most if not veritably all the Mosrite forum folks have at least a passing appreciation of...if not fervent love for, The Ventures and their vast library of electric guitar-driven instrumental music.

So, what is your ONE favorite Ventures album...and why?

Here, while introduced to their albums with Walk Don't Run (I) and inspired to get an electric guitar, the album which receives the most play is probably "Surfing."

First surf music album owned, it has "Pipeline" done better tan anyone but The Chantays...yeah, maybe better...

...the trademark prime era Ventures energy is there, it's easy to enjoy as a "continuous theme / mood" LP from beginning to end.

"Changing Tides" and "The Lonely Sea" are amazing. "Surf Rider" has endured for decades on its own. " Windy and Warm" is laid back surfer's stomp personified. "The Ninth Wave" IS the sound of the ocean's soul breaking on a beach. "Diamonds," it's golden era surf music personified.

And you...?

cmiller0034
Top Producer

Re: ONE favorite Venture album and why

Postby cmiller0034 » Sun May 25, 2014 9:03 pm

1965 Live In Japan because is was a good collection of live recordings. And Ventures in Space, well because I am partial to weird Scifi.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."- a wise man

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Mon May 26, 2014 10:00 am

Swamp Rock. It was a refreshing shift from all their other albums, showing another facet of their versatility.
Olrocknroller

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Wed May 28, 2014 5:53 am

Ok, my Surf Instrumental preferences aside, two John Fogerty penned tunes along with John's (Blue Ridge Rangers) cover of Jambalaya perhaps sway my bias towards "Swamp Rock"!
Scott

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Wed May 28, 2014 6:27 am

Well, I am sorry to say but the Ventures didn't play 'surf' music. It's 'instro' music. Did the mistake to call it surf over at SG101 and almost got lynched ;-)

Whatever it is, the 'Ventures in Space' + 'Surfing' are the ones I'd take to a lonely island. No explanation needed IMO. It's simply great music!

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Wed May 28, 2014 10:31 am

True Sancho, the Ventures were not a "Surf Instro." band, although they did play some "Surf" tunes.
Scott

chad3006

Postby chad3006 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:49 pm

Well, my favorite Ventures album is “10 Anniversary Album.” Specifically the Dylan medley. It's the song that inspired me to play guitar in the first place. Of course, Gerry McGee has never been associated with Mosrite guitars, nor is he considered part of the “classic lineup.” I think I did see a picture of him on a late 60's album cover with a Mosrite Combo however.

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:22 pm

Without doubt 'In Space'! It is such a complete album. Fantastic playing, sounds, tunes etc.

Also the side B of the 'A Go-Go' album is a regular here on the turntable. Their take on 'I Like It Like That' (the last song) is just absolutely fabulous. I just love Nokie's playing on that track.

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:32 am

I can't pick one album but in the presence of a firearm it would be either Live in Japan 65 or In Space.

I also love the Ventures Knock Me Out!

Why?
I believe no one played with such ferocity, sync and tightness in 1965, so they were slightly ahead of their time which can be said for In Space too. There it is the creative application of musical instruments to create all those sounds that gets me

Dimeman

Postby Dimeman » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:39 am

Most all with Nokie on lead guitar. He is such a fantastic guitar player.
Robbie

Return to “Music Related”