ONE favorite Venture album and why

Nitromessiah

Re: ONE favorite Venture album and why

Postby Nitromessiah » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:22 am

I gotta say WDR 64. Talk about a complete album! Just about every song is a tour de force in composition, execution, tone and taste. I could've done without the "theme from the Medic" but other than that, it's a landmark album. I've preached for years that "The Creeper" was the first heavy metal recording. Then years before Hendrix, Nokie was breaking ground with effects (fuzz and volume/wah). Plus, this album showcases both instro AND surf rock (WDR64 is a definitely a surf recording). Everything before this album was a warm up, everything after was a let down.

Oh - and House Of The Rising Sun on this disc has to be THE greatest version ever recorded.... Nokie is on fire, and Leon Russell lays down a wicked organ solo.

bumblebeetwist

Postby bumblebeetwist » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:17 pm

If I had to pick only one it would be Ventures In Space. Followed by Live In Japan '65. And then Telstar/Lonely Bull, which is just a gorgeous album full of wonderful production textures and instrumentation.. so many different tones on that one.

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:49 pm

My fav is the first album. I love Bob Bogle's double-stop playing on that one and the several Fender era albums that followed. Actually much of the playing is Nokie (un-credited) but Bob initiated the style on the hit "Walk Don't Run". Bob also does a great double-stop solo on "Blue Moon" as an excellent example (on the Colorful Ventures album). The Fender Jazzmaster tones are so thick on that first album even without reverb.

I'm glad to see the Gerry McGee albums "Swamp Rock" and "10th Anniversary Album" gettin' props. I like those ones as well.

-Marty

Return to “Music Related”