Blitzkrieg Bop Isolated Guitar (mostly)

HardlyRamone

Blitzkrieg Bop Isolated Guitar (mostly)

Postby HardlyRamone » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:34 pm

Relatively new member here :D Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but I thought some people on the forum might find it interesting.

I found an instrumental version of Blitzkrieg Bop (I assume for karaoke) that actually had the original guitar, bass and drum tracks from the 1976 debut album.. but no vocals. I'm really not sure where it came from, but I figured out something cool you can do with it. Those of you who are very familiar with the first Ramones album may know that it was mixed with the bass in the left channel and the guitar in the right channel. Because of that, I was able to pan this instrumental version all the way to the right, removing the bass track completely. I then set it to mono so that the sound would come out of both channels.

The result? Blitzkrieg Bop with nothing but Johnny's Mosrite guitar blasting through a Marshall stack.. and what's left of the drum track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGuogUnmQBA

I thought it was very cool to be able to hear the guitar all the way through without the bass and the vocals covering it up, so I figured I would share it somewhere.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Re: Blitzkrieg Bop Isolated Guitar (mostly)

Postby Greg_L » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:06 pm

Yup, cool. I believe those semi-isolated tracks originated from audio rips from that Rockband game. There are quite a few isolated tracks that popped up from different songs when people figured out how to rip the tracks from the video game.

But yeah, that's the sound that started it all. RIP Johnny.

HardlyRamone

Postby HardlyRamone » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:59 pm

Ah, I had thought it might be from rockband, but I had no way of knowing. I still wonder if the guitar on this was actually laid down with the original blue Ventures II, because I think Johnny had a MK1 one they recorded this album. I've never really heard someone imitate the Johnny Ramone style on a MK1, so I don't know exactly what it would sound like.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:26 am

This pic is supposed to be from the Radio City recording session for that first album. That sure aint the blue slab body Ventures II.

It's cliche, but the Johnny sound really is all in his right hand and the way he barres his chords. Someone else could use his exact personally owned equipment and it won't sound like him. No one really imitates his sound very well.

HardlyRamone

Postby HardlyRamone » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:11 pm

Yeah, that picture is in Johnny's autobiography when he's talking about recording for the first album, that's how I knew he used a MK1 on it.. unless the book is wrong. I also recall him saying he had "new amps and guitars to work with", or something of the sort. I assume those would be the MK1 and the Fender used on "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend".

And yeah, I'm sure the right equipment would get you the right guitar tone, but actually sounding like the man himself can't really be bought. I'm still just practicing on my cheap guitar (I'm about two years in), trying to build up some essential technique and learn to play like Johnny at the same time. "Downstrokes and barre chords" sounds simple enough, but I've discovered even that won't make you sound like Johnny right away. If I get good enough, perhaps I'll try to save up and upgrade to a nice Hallmark, like the Johnny Ramone model. But at the moment I'm not quite sure if I need to buy a brilliant guitar when I'm not a brilliant player.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:00 am

HardlyRamone wrote:Yeah, that picture is in Johnny's autobiography when he's talking about recording for the first album, that's how I knew he used a MK1 on it.. unless the book is wrong. I also recall him saying he had "new amps and guitars to work with", or something of the sort. I assume those would be the MK1 and the Fender used on "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend".

And yeah, I'm sure the right equipment would get you the right guitar tone, but actually sounding like the man himself can't really be bought. I'm still just practicing on my cheap guitar (I'm about two years in), trying to build up some essential technique and learn to play like Johnny at the same time. "Downstrokes and barre chords" sounds simple enough, but I've discovered even that won't make you sound like Johnny right away. If I get good enough, perhaps I'll try to save up and upgrade to a nice Hallmark, like the Johnny Ramone model. But at the moment I'm not quite sure if I need to buy a brilliant guitar when I'm not a brilliant player.

Please allow me to give you a little advice from a 40 yr old Ramones fan that's seen them live 6 times and has met each member in person. I mean this with 100% all due respect:

Don't try to be Johnny. Yes, he's an awesome inspiration and his sound and style was special and unique and set the stage for millions of punk rock guitarists to follow. I get it. He's my personal guitar idol. Downstrokes and barre chords at warp speed sound awesome, and true, they're not as easy as it seems. But try to develop your own sound. I hate to say it, but Johnny would probably scoff at you for trying to be too much like him. If you wanna base your sound on his style, knock yourself out. Millions have done the same thing. But don't spend your time trying to nail his tone or anything. You never will. heck, his own sound was never the same from album to album. It is fun to try, but be your own man. I guarantee you that Johnny did not put as much thought and effort into his sound as those do that are trying to copy it.

Having said that, his later tone would be much easier to copy if you just insist on doing it. Get you a Hallmark or Mosrite, put a Dimarzio Fat Strat single in the bridge, and plug into a real, early 80s vertical input JCM 800 or late 70s JMP 2203 and run that into a standard 1960 cab. Run the gain and master volume around 8. Wear earplugs. That's his 80s and beyond gear. The JCM 800 has a more consistent sound than his Super Lead days. The rest is up to your hands.

HardlyRamone

Postby HardlyRamone » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:45 pm

I actually appreciate the advice, and I understand what you are saying. I'm not trying to be a Johnny clone, I just really enjoy playing Ramones songs accurately. It's a lot of fun. As I said, I am still "trying to build up some essential technique", meaning I'm learning more than just downstrokes, barre chords, and a few open chords. I do want to develop my own style. As for wanting a Hallmark that emulates the Ventures II, it just sounds like a really great versatile guitar to me, and I can't think of a different guitar I'd rather want to own at some point. Especially since I don't really like the size of the neck on this entry level Fender I have, and an unusually slim neck with smaller frets and low action sounds like it would be very appealing after some adjustment time. However I suppose am just assuming that the Hallmarks would have Mosrite spec necks, or something similar..

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:10 am

HardlyRamone wrote:I actually appreciate the advice, and I understand what you are saying. I'm not trying to be a Johnny clone, I just really enjoy playing Ramones songs accurately. It's a lot of fun. As I said, I am still "trying to build up some essential technique", meaning I'm learning more than just downstrokes, barre chords, and a few open chords. I do want to develop my own style. As for wanting a Hallmark that emulates the Ventures II, it just sounds like a really great versatile guitar to me, and I can't think of a different guitar I'd rather want to own at some point. Especially since I don't really like the size of the neck on this entry level Fender I have, and an unusually slim neck with smaller frets and low action sounds like it would be very appealing after some adjustment time. However I suppose am just assuming that the Hallmarks would have Mosrite spec necks, or something similar..

I have a Hallmark 60 Custom, and I love the neck on that thing. I like slim necks, and that guitar delivers. I don't think the Hallmarks go for an exact Mosrite neck profile though. You'll have to get with Mr Bob Shade about neck specs on the Hallmark II. I think the Hallmark necks are a little wider at the "nut" than original Mosrite necks. I think the profile is great though, and it's very easy to play super fast barre chords all over the place ala Johnny Ramone. It's a big guitar, although it doesn't feel big. Very easy to play.

HardlyRamone

Postby HardlyRamone » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:07 pm

If it's slimmer than average, that's probably all I would want. Other than having a chunky feeling neck, my guitar feels pretty cheap, and it is somewhat difficult to play. I have to keep the action pretty high to keep it from getting fret buzz all over the place. It doesn't sound brilliant either, even with the intonation and everything set properly. I'm interested in having a quality guitar to play at some point, copying Johnny's sound isn't exactly my ultimate goal. I've also recently discovered that even though I've never listened to it much, surf music is very fun to play. So something like a Hallmark II is starting to sound like a good idea to me. But like I said, I'd like to become a better player before attempting to acquire such a high quality instrument.

I've also just realized I've gone completely off the topic of the original post :|

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:49 pm

HardlyRamone wrote:If it's slimmer than average, that's probably all I would want. Other than having a chunky feeling neck, my guitar feels pretty cheap, and it is somewhat difficult to play. I have to keep the action pretty high to keep it from getting fret buzz all over the place. It doesn't sound brilliant either, even with the intonation and everything set properly. I'm interested in having a quality guitar to play at some point, copying Johnny's sound isn't exactly my ultimate goal. I've also recently discovered that even though I've never listened to it much, surf music is very fun to play. So something like a Hallmark II is starting to sound like a good idea to me. But like I said, I'd like to become a better player before attempting to acquire such a high quality instrument.

I've also just realized I've gone completely off the topic of the original post :|

Having a good guitar that you're happy to play could very easily inspire you and allow you to become better. I highly recommend a Hallmark! :D

Return to “Music Related”