Random Ventures gear questions/comments

Hydra19
Valued Member

Random Ventures gear questions/comments

Postby Hydra19 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:50 pm

hi,
Big fan of the ventures and have been chasing that elusive sound, and kinda got there in the end.

but I still have some questions, does anyone know why Bogle and Edwards switched guitars for 'Telstar' in Japan? One theory is that maybe Bogle wasn't comfortable playing that bassline? But I believe both of them were pros enough for that not to be the reason, maybe Bon just wanted to play at least one song on guitar?

Interesting topic of the week is who played the Vibrolux and who played the Gibson GA-40 on the first recording session. Bassman was also in the Studio and Bob remembers using a Twin. I skimmed through the book pics to see if there were any photos of the Gibson amp. I believe I found one on page 67. The drummer is on the left, very close to him is don, then bob and the nokie, all very close together. Nokie is standing in front of a Bassman resembling tweed amp, and Bob and Don are in front of what looks like a Gibson GA-40. It's hard to see as they're both in front of it and the drums also but it's two tone, darker top and it resembles the Gibson amp.
Nokie is playing a Strat and am not sure if Bob is playing a bass or a guitar, as it looks like it's just a photo shoot

My instincts tell me Bob probably used the Vibrolux but on another page there is a pic of Don in the studio and 2 amps can be seen on chairs. The one right behind looks like a brown Vibrolux and the other one looks more like another fender tweed, no gibson in sight.

From what I understand no one is sure who used which amp on Walk Don't Run, so I thought this comment would be interesting, although it's still inconclusive. I've been listening to the Colorful Ventures, and man, what a sound, perfection right there, the nice tremolo combined with Bob's unique use of the Jazzmaster tremolo!

vibramute
Top Producer

Re: Random Ventures gear questions/comments

Postby vibramute » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:46 am

Bob on lead for Telstar? Probably because he played lead on the LP version and/or wanted to play a song onstage. I don't think he switched to guitar out of necessity, by '65-'66 he was a very acomplished bassist.

Pretty cool that even back during the 'reign of Nokie' Bob was still playing a little guitar.

Return to “Music Related”