MITCH MITCHELL-DRUMMER for Jimi Hendrix Experience

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:22 pm

Music News:

Noel Redding, Jimi Hendrix and Mitch Mitchell
© AP
Noel Redding, Jimi Hendrix and Mitch Mitchell
Drummer for Jimi Hendrix found dead, officials say
Nov. 12, 2008, 6:54 PM EST

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Mitch Mitchell, drummer for the legendary Jimi Hendrix Experience of the 1960s and the group's last surviving member, was found dead in his hotel room early Wednesday. He was 61.

Mitchell was a powerful force on "Are You Experienced?" the 1967 debut album of the Hendrix band. He had an explosive drumming style that can be heard in hard-charging songs such as "Fire" and "Manic Depression."

The Englishman had been drumming for the Experience Hendrix Tour, which performed Friday in Portland. It was the last stop on the West Coast part of the tour.

Hendrix died in 1970. Noel Redding, bass player for the trio, died in 2003.

An employee at Portland's Benson Hotel called police after discovering Mitchell's body.

Erin Patrick, a deputy medical examiner, said Mitchell apparently died of natural causes. An autopsy was planned.

Bob Merlis, a spokesman for the tour, said Mitchell had stayed in Portland for a four-day vacation and planned to leave Wednesday.

"It was a devastating surprise," Merlis said. "Nobody drummed like he did."

He said he saw Mitchell perform two weeks ago in Los Angeles, and the drummer appeared to be healthy and upbeat.

Merlis said the tour was designed to bring together veteran musicians who had known Hendrix — like Mitchell — and younger artists, such as Grammy-nominated winner Jonny Lang, who have been influenced by him.

Mitchell was a one-of-a-kind drummer whose "jazz-tinged" style was a vital part of both the Jimi Hendrix Experience and the Experience Hendrix Tour that ended last week, Merlis said.
"If Jimi Hendrix were still alive," Merlis said, "he would have acknowledged that."

Mitchell played for numerous other bands but was best known for his work in the Jimi Hendrix Experience, which was inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame in 1992.

According to the Hall of Fame, he was born July 9, 1947, in Ealing, England.

Hendrix, Redding and Mitchell held their first rehearsal in October 1966, according to the Hall of Fame's Web site.

In an interview last month with the Boston Herald, Mitchell said he met Hendrix "in this sleazy little club."

"We did some Chuck Berry and took it from there," Mitchell told the newspaper. "I suppose it worked."
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

64sunburst
Top Producer

Re: MITCH MITCHELL-DRUMMER for Jimi Hendrix Experience

Postby 64sunburst » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:46 pm

Mitch Mitchell, IMHO, was one of two of the most explosive rock drummers ever - the other being Keith Moon. When I listen to any Jimi Hendrix song I'm listening to Mitch Mitchell's drumming just as much as Jimi's guitar. He was probably one of few drummers who could keep up with Jimi. Its a sad loss, but hopefully he died a peacefull death.

Byron

FritzCat
Top Producer

Postby FritzCat » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:20 pm

I just saw him in SF last week at the Hendrix tribute concert. I couldn't understand a word he said, and his playing was a mere shadow of the old days with Jimi, but it was good to see him playing and I felt his presence added a lot to the evening. Very sorry to hear this.

Bushers
Valued Member

Postby Bushers » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:19 am

Man, this was a shock , I missed this post! Truly an amazing drummer that as the report states 'could keep up with Jimi'. On all Jimi's live performances with Mitch you can sense the passion Mitch put into his drumming, and kept the act together. Sad to hear the last of the band members has gone.. RIP
Jason (Bushers)
1965 Ventures II Model ~ #B233

Return to “Music Related”