Venturesmania "Bound And Sidejacked Again!"

vibramute
Top Producer

Venturesmania "Bound And Sidejacked Again!"

Postby vibramute » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:48 pm

I wanted to give a heads up to Ventures/Nokie fans about a fantastic album that Deke & Company put out a little while back. This sort of slipped under the radar (couldn't find much about it here) but for anybody into the 'classic' mid 60's Ventures/Mosrite thing, this is a must have. Most of the tracks sound like unreleased Ventures material. The guitar tones and playing are incredibly authentic, song writing and arranging are great too. The drumming is a tad too 'generic surf' at times; Mel Taylor's style is more precise, stylized, and driving, but that would be my only minor criticism (and I only mention it since it's clear the guitarists went through painstaking efforts to get Nokie, Don and Bob's style and tone down pat). Nokie guests on lead on a few songs and plays well, but I have to give kudos to Deke and his is bandmates (I believe all 3 guitarists switch off on lead) as they stole the show. I also wanted to mention how much I enjoyed the nod to Bob Bogle on the track 'Fedelio", which totally captures the vibe of Fender era Ventures perfectly.

Well done Deke...I hope it goes gold :)

Return to “Music Related”