tuning down a half step???

sleeperNY
Top Producer

tuning down a half step???

Postby sleeperNY » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:18 am

I was wondering if anyone here plays in a band and tunes down a half step all the time. I am going to set in with a band that does just that and maybe become part of the band. Aside from the singing end I have my doubts about how it will sound. My guitar just doesn't sound good to me and requires a bit different setup to play well.Any thoughts are welcome. They say they are doing more classic country but the partial song list I got is more classic rock. Eagles.Beatles and so on. I like the music but wonder about the sound.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

axis9313

Re: tuning down a half step???

Postby axis9313 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:57 pm

I used to experiment with tuning down a half step or even a whole step. You have to increase the diameter of your strings to get it to sound right. So if you're playing a set of 10's, try a set of 11's or 12's.
1965 Ventures Model Mosrite, candy apple red, Vibramute tailpiece

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:04 pm

axis9313 wrote:I used to experiment with tuning down a half step or even a whole step. You have to increase the diameter of your strings to get it to sound right. So if you're playing a set of 10's, try a set of 11's or 12's.

That's probably the best way to do it alright, but if you're "married" to the gauge of strings you're using now, just raise the bridge slightly until the buzzing stops, then check the intonation to make sure it hasn't changed, which it's liable to do with a string-gauge change as well...
Olrocknroller

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:51 pm

Jim, everyone's suggestions are excellent, but I'd start from scratch before you do anything with your Mo.' I've played fill-in for a group some years back with the same situation of playing a half step down. What I did was put on a fresh set of strings (one at a time in such you don't freak out the neck tension). This way you can stretch the strings out while you are tuning up to Eb. With my guitar, I lucked out and didn't have to change anything, but each guitar can differ. All I'm saying is try this out first before it turns into a major production........ ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:15 pm

I use 11's with a wound 3rd all the time. I tuned my Hallmark down a half and didn't care for the sound at all. I did raise the low end a bit but nothing else. If I were to play like this all the time I would have to do a complete setup but I have decided not to play full time with the band. They are great but are just to far away to make practice easy. They are an hour and a half away from me. Thanks for the ideas everyone. It's just been so long sense I played in a band (year and a half) I kind of didn't think about the drive right off.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:50 am

I see no reason to tune down a half step unless the singer has a problem. Tuning down can definitely be a relief on the ole pipes. When I was playing in a classic rock/blues rock band, tuning down a whole step made singing some Zep tunes easier for our singer. I set up a guitar just for that purpose. Also, if you are into the Hendrix/SRV thang, a Strat tuned to Eb with a set of 12s will help you get that big Texas blues sound.
I don't see why you would tune down for Beatle songs or The Eagles....unless the singer has trouble hitting some of those McCartney high notes.

vjf1968
Top Producer

Postby vjf1968 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Strat-o-rama wrote:I see no reason to tune down a half step unless the singer has a problem. Tuning down can definitely be a relief on the ole pipes. When I was playing in a classic rock/blues rock band, tuning down a whole step made singing some Zep tunes easier for our singer. I set up a guitar just for that purpose. Also, if you are into the Hendrix/SRV thang, a Strat tuned to Eb with a set of 12s will help you get that big Texas blues sound.
I don't see why you would tune down for Beatle songs or The Eagles....unless the singer has trouble hitting some of those McCartney high notes.

Hey McCartney has trouble hitting those high notes.

But seriously, if the singer is singing all night maybe tuning down a half step might be the easier solution. After a while your not going to even think about it. It does beat learning the song if a different key

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:44 pm

The Digitech Whammy DTV-01 does an astounding job of "electronic capo" and drop tuning. Set it for a half step down and it sounds very natural playing chords or single notes. It sounds fairly natural even 2 full steps down or 2 full steps up. The downsides are that it is 300 clams new and it has a fairly large footprint.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... ects-pedal

-Marty

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:29 am

Nokie wrote:The Digitech Whammy DTV-01 does an astounding job of "electronic capo" and drop tuning. Set it for a half step down and it sounds very natural playing chords or single notes. It sounds fairly natural even 2 full steps down or 2 full steps up. The downsides are that it is 300 clams new and it has a fairly large footprint.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... ects-pedal

-Marty

I always wondered why so many top guitarists/singers have these on their pedalboard. Thanks Nokie, it all makes sense now 8-)

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:36 pm

Down a half step sounds weird to these ears and personally, no thanks.

An hour and a half drive to band practice, ouch!

Return to “Music Related”