tuning down a half step???

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Re: tuning down a half step???

Postby sleeperNY » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:42 am

Haole Jim wrote:Down a half step sounds weird to these ears and personally, no thanks.

An hour and a half drive to band practice, ouch!

Ya it didn't happen. To far away and I tried the half step down and didn't like it. I'll just sit here at home and play what I like for now. LOL
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

vjf1968
Top Producer

Postby vjf1968 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:24 am

Well if your playing Weezer, Smithereens, Thin Lizzy, Kiss, Green Day, Jimi Hendrix, some Van Halen, Smashing Pumpkins, then Eb is warranted.
It can also be an excuse to buy another guitar:)

Eb tuning is also great if you have a sax player in the band since saxes are tuned to Bb or Eb.

BRRanger
Top Producer

Postby BRRanger » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:11 pm

VJF- John Fogerty's "Almost Saturday Night"??!! Excellent!!!
Scott

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:16 pm

I can't believe any guitar player would give a darn about tuning down a measly half step if he's not singing. Why? It's nothing. A half step is pretty standard for a lot of rock and roll. I can see it being a pain if you have one guitar and have to go back and forth all the time in one set, but if that's the case just fire the singer because he sucks. Even the extreme "metal" drop tunings are quite playable if the guitar is set up properly for it. I personally don't like that sound at all, but whatever. I'm a standard e or e-flat kind of guy. Either is fine for me.

vjf1968
Top Producer

Postby vjf1968 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:52 pm

BRRanger wrote:VJF- John Fogerty's "Almost Saturday Night"??!! Excellent!!!
Scott

That I had to change to G. I only had the Dave Edmunds version and I nearly had to buy a truss after trying to sing it.

vjf1968
Top Producer

Postby vjf1968 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:54 pm

Greg_L wrote:I can't believe any guitar player would give a darn about tuning down a measly half step if he's not singing. Why? It's nothing. A half step is pretty standard for a lot of rock and roll. I can see it being a pain if you have one guitar and have to go back and forth all the time in one set, but if that's the case just fire the singer because he sucks. Even the extreme "metal" drop tunings are quite playable if the guitar is set up properly for it. I personally don't like that sound at all, but whatever. I'm a standard e or e-flat kind of guy. Either is fine for me.

Even if your tuned to Eb you can always capo the first fret and BANG your in standard tuning.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:17 pm

vjf1968 wrote:
Greg_L wrote:I can't believe any guitar player would give a darn about tuning down a measly half step if he's not singing. Why? It's nothing. A half step is pretty standard for a lot of rock and roll. I can see it being a pain if you have one guitar and have to go back and forth all the time in one set, but if that's the case just fire the singer because he sucks. Even the extreme "metal" drop tunings are quite playable if the guitar is set up properly for it. I personally don't like that sound at all, but whatever. I'm a standard e or e-flat kind of guy. Either is fine for me.

Even if your tuned to Eb you can always capo the first fret and BANG your in standard tuning.

I use nature's capo - powerchords! :D

sumlin

Postby sumlin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:19 am

I have to tune down a half step for the band I play bass in as the guitar player tunes way way down to C normally (standard tuning but dropped 2 whole steps) and he then started open tuning to G from there which works out at Eb. Confused? I am. I don't follow his fingers that's for sure. Sounds like this: http://dustybible.bandcamp.com (warts n all)
Brass Rail #43
Acoustic Black Widow #BC1092
MkV #B735
Univox Hi Fliers, Tele Deluxes, Harmony Bobkats

vibramutant1965

Postby vibramutant1965 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:14 pm

I have read that Van Halen tuned down because of Roth. I think it worked well for them. I think that when folks are trying to play live , or trying to compose , do what is necessary for everyone to sound best as a group,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Return to “Music Related”