Buying guitars sight unseen

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Re: Buying guitars sight unseen

Postby olrocknroller » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:21 pm

I know, we're discussing "quality" guitars here, but there are slews of CNC-spewed guitars out there that should be left in their boxes, untouched, in a dark closet, forever! I see an endless parade of kids taking guitar lessons on garbage guitars bought sight-unseen, who want me to fix them... :lol: I know, we are a more knowledgeable bunch, but you'd be surprised at the price-range of some of these monsters! I've seen parents who have dropped over $500.00 on the internet, and it will cost them another $500.00 if I'm going to make these things playable.

Wood choice is paramount in guitars, and a lot of factories must be using wood with the sap still running out of it...they get shipped out here into the desert-land, and the frets end up sticking out a mile! :shock: The kid's standing there with his fingers all taped up, saying, "Please sir, can you make this better?"

Huge "Buyer beware" on internet guitars, especially when they have names that just "sound-like" the originals...

There, that's my rant for today...I feel so much better! :lol:
Olrocknroller

Vito

Postby Vito » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:00 am

olrocknroller wrote:I know, we're discussing "quality" guitars here...

olrocknroller:

Actually, thinking back on the intent in my original post, I wasn't thinking specifically about "quality" guitars, principally because "quality" is such a subjective thing. But you're right...my OP has an implicit, underlying assumption that asks the question, "When you buy a guitar sight unseen, how do you know you're getting a quality instrument you'll love, and not something you'll regret buying?" I have some of my own answers, and others have posted theirs. But your post pretty much nails it: The answer really depends on what your standards of quality are.

I suppose I have higher standards than some folks, having learned them through experience. I've picked up enough knowledge over the years to make my own guitars playable and tweak them for better performance, but as I've learned in the past, one sit-down with a serious guitar tech (...I mean a professional, which I'm not) quickly reminds me that I haven't even scratched the surface of what there is to know. Much of what I've learned I owe to having been lucky enough to know a few incredibly talented and knowledgeable cats, who were generous enough to share some of their expertise.

Anyhow, if the online photos are very good (and with a few exceptions, they usually aren't) I might be able to tell whether the frets are dressed, or the pickup position and alignment is OK, or the truss rod adjustment is easily accessible, or the bridge has the kind of adjustability I want. But in general, my criteria for what constitutes "quality" are things that I can't know for certain about any given instrument until I actually lay my hands on it. So, dealing with a reputable vendor who sells instruments that fit MY definition of "quality" and will make good on anything that's not right is absolutely essential.

That kinda narrows the field, if you know what I mean. ;)

I know that quality comes at a price, but I don't believe it has to be exorbitantly expensive. I appreciate the skills of those who know how to make quality affordable. It definitely is NOT true that quality and price are directly proportional. I know some folks who wouldn't consider buying a guitar that doesn't have a four-figure price tag, the assumption being that if it costs less than a thousand bucks, it can't possibly be any good. What utter nonsense.

Of course, there have always been people who have more dollars than sense. I guess that applies to parents who are quick to pull out the credit card and buy some piece of junk online, without knowing anything about guitars. Perhaps they're the same way about everything they buy, but I'm not. I research everything I buy...and I do the most research on the stuff I know least about in the first place.

But perhaps the propensity to do the work that it takes to replace ignorance with actual knowledge is a birth defect...or something. I've noticed that many people don't have the same affliction. :roll:

olrocknroller wrote:There, that's my rant for today...I feel so much better! :lol:

That's OK. "By their rants ye shall know them" is pretty much the operating principle of online communities, and as long as the rants remain civil (...which they seem to do here, as far as I can tell), then I say rant on, brothah. :mrgreen:
"The snake seems to be indifferent to the song." – Donald Fagen
"Yes, but it's a crisp indifference, if you know what I mean." – Walter Becker

paulramon1962

Postby paulramon1962 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Vito wrote:
I know that quality comes at a price, but I don't believe it has to be exorbitantly expensive. I appreciate the skills of those who know how to make quality affordable. It definitely is NOT true that quality and price are directly proportional. I know some folks who wouldn't consider buying a guitar that doesn't have a four-figure price tag, the assumption being that if it costs less than a thousand bucks, it can't possibly be any good. What utter nonsense.

Of course, there have always been people who have more dollars than sense. I guess that applies to parents who are quick to pull out the credit card and buy some piece of junk online, without knowing anything about guitars. Perhaps they're the same way about everything they buy, but I'm not. I research everything I buy...and I do the most research on the stuff I know least about in the first place.

When I consider buying a guitar, I don't consider the high price, or more often the lack thereof, more than I do the quality of the build of the instrument. For example, I've played Squier guitars that out perform 70's US Made Fenders I've played. It's not just a matter of cost, and you've made that point very well.

I forgot to mention one guitar I did buy site unseen: A few months ago, I ordered a 2nd hand Epiphone ES style electric from a Guitar Center back east. They sent me more pics of it, and I noticed a small chip behind the nut. I inquired about it and the guy at the store said it was just a finish chip and I shouldn't worry. he'd seen it countless times before.

I get the guitar a week later and it's packaged well. I'm excited, because aside from being a little dirty from lack of cleaning, it's a good quality guitar....until I take the strings off. Once I do, the headstock falls off, right where that unnoticeable chip was.

There is certainly an element of buyer beware, but guitar center went ahead and refunded my money...I guess I was lucky.
I've heard of this happening on new guitars, which must really suck.

Either way, one man's trash is another mans treasure. I'm sure guitar center will glue the headstock back on and post it at another $100 discount. I'm sure that my next purchase will be better handled, but it certainly won't be from guitar center.

Just two more of my cents...

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:47 pm

Vito wrote:I research everything I buy...and I do the most research on the stuff I know least about in the first place.

That's pretty much my approach too. Concerning price/quality: two guitars from my humble collection are Fender Strats (both bought new, in shops), a '57 USA Reissue from 2009 (let's say 'expensive') and a Classic 50s Series Stratocaster® MIM from 2001 (let's say 'cheap'). Both are the best Strats I have ever had the pleasure of playing and beats the %&#p out of my vintage CBS 1973 Strat that I bought new in 1973 (my son's now). My Mexican Strat plays WONDERFUL and offers STIFF competition to my '57 USA reissue, especially now that I've swapped the Mexican pickups out for a set of Original '57/'62 pups, same as in my USA '57. The only real difference with the MIM Strat is it's lesser quality hardware. Either one can comfortably be the other's backup axe on the same level in sound and playability and dependability. I intend never to part with either, now!

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:00 am

Living in metro Chicago, there are gobs of big and small music stores within a hundred mile radius; southern Wisconsin has a couple real gems.

Therefore, with the occasional visit to a store in another city while traveling...

...AND...

...guitar shows, locally, with sellers from all over, there is no personal need to buy sight unseen.

That said, a number of years ago, a new four-course Greek handmade bouzouki was purchased sight unseen from Bouzouki World in CA. A fairly large number of emails and several conversations with Pavlos, the owner, resulted in arrival of a truly delightful instrument. Beautiful, playable, angelic-sounding, flawless.

Sort of moral of the story, do your research, then if possible develop a rapport-lite with the seller-business which has an established rep.

Return to “Music Related”