New line-up for The Ventures US performances

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

New line-up for The Ventures US performances

Postby Desert Surfer » Sat May 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Did anyone see this announcement on The Ventures Website?

http://www.theventures.com/?pg=news&id=171

May, 03 2012

There will be a new line-up for US performances, starting this month, May 2012.

As most fans know, Nokie has actively been pursuing his personal career since leaving The Ventures in 1985 and has played with a number of different artists, both in the country and rock fields. Since around 1999, Nokie also returned to perform as guest lead guitarist in Japan for The Ventures' annual January tour (known as the 'Blue Note' tour), and has played a number of concerts with the group each year in the US. However, he will now be concentrating on his solo career, and we wish him well for the future in all his endeavors.

We are pleased to announce that Gerry McGee will now be performing with The Ventures not only for the Japan summer tours, but also for US shows. As many fans are aware, Gerry has been with The Ventures since 1968 and has performed before thousands of audiences in Japan, as well as on tour in the US - not to mention having recorded on hundreds of tracks, including many of the classic Japanese songs co-written by Don, Bob Bogle, Mel and Gerry which became standards in Japan. Gerry first joined the group in 1968 for about 5 years, then returned in 1985 and has been with us ever since - more than 25 years since re-joining. We look forward to appearing with him this summer starting with the shows in Park City, Utah later this month. For anyone who has not experienced a Ventures' concert with Gerry on lead, we encourage you to attend.

I wonder Nokie will still be playing with The Ventures for Japan winter tours?

Wow, what are Nokie fans (especially those in Japan) going to feel? :shock:

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: New line-up for The Ventures US performances

Postby Veenture » Sun May 06, 2012 12:21 am

Yeah, there's a lot of discussion going on at The Ventures forum [Underground Fire2] at the moment: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/un ... sage/41648

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Wed May 09, 2012 6:45 am

Veenture wrote:Yeah, there's a lot of discussion going on at The Ventures forum [Underground Fire2] at the moment: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/un ... sage/41648

Thanks. Paul for the link. A lot interesting discussion there...

Today is Nokie's 77th birthday. (5/9/35) I always remember the date as Nokie has the same birthday (same date and year) as my late elder brother.

Happy birthday, Nokie! Everything will turn out fine. :)

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Wed May 09, 2012 9:53 am

Yes, happy birthday Nokie. Your fans will follow you wherever you choose to go!
Olrocknroller

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Wed May 09, 2012 12:09 pm

77...wow, TWO lucky numbers. Happy birthday Nokie, if you read this ;)
-Paul (from The Netherlands)

mrmomo

Postby mrmomo » Wed May 09, 2012 12:40 pm

Happy Birthday, Nokie! You are such an inspiration.
I'm only a little more than halfway thru the Walk Don't Run book, but I really enjoy reading about your and the band's experiences. Quite a ride!

-John
John Drysdale | Surf Guitarist - Mentor - Instructor | John Drysdale Music
Web Sites: http://www.johndrysdalesurfguitar.com | http://www.johndrysdalemusic.com

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Thu May 10, 2012 11:02 am

"El Bimbo"; a big hit in Japan. One of my favorite tunes Nokie played in the 70's. It sounds the best on classical guitar. I surely missed that kind of playing from the recent Ventures...

vibramute
Top Producer

Postby vibramute » Sun May 20, 2012 4:02 pm

I'm actually really excited about this.

The Ventures have been incredibly accomodating with Nokie's whims to be in/out of the band over the years. He frankly looks really bored up there.

It's nice to know I may have a chance to see Gerry play. I'm in the minority, but I still think Gerry is the best guitarist the Ventures ever had. Maybe not the best guitarist for the Ventures, but his versatile playing allowed the band to grow in the late 60's early 70's. After about '66 the 'theme album' formula was pretty much beat to death with albums full of predictable covers and throwaway originals. That's not to say the band didn't continue doing this somewhat with Gerry, but his playing and style had a legitimacy that fit the material they were covering and writing at the time. I just can't imagine Nokie playing lead on albums like "Underground Fire" or "New Testament" and pulling it off without sounding really square, for example.

Gerry and Nokie are both excellent guitarists and I'd love to see them record an album outside of the Ventures organization; In a (my) perfect world they'd take a good country/rockabilly backing band into the studio with them. Leave the Hitchhiker and Lace Sensor equipped Strats at home and play Tele's. There would be some magic once they started pickin'!

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Sun May 20, 2012 4:18 pm

I agree with Frank that Nokie and Gerry should play together more.

That's Yesterday......

We will see What Will Tomorrow Bring....

vibramute
Top Producer

Postby vibramute » Sun May 20, 2012 5:03 pm

Desert Surfer wrote:I agree with Frank that Nokie and Gerry should play together more.

Lets hope one day it happens!!

Return to “Music Related”