RIP Billy Strange

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

RIP Billy Strange

Postby Strat-o-rama » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:19 pm

His guitar sounds are indelibly and subliminally etched into my brain from my childhood. My parents played those records.
If you want to hear, go to YouTube and take your pick.

One of his album covers features himself in Mexican garb holding a Candy Apple Red Mosrite 'The Ventures' model.
Loved that slick, cool, cocktail lounge vibro-twang.

Dennisthe Menace

Re: RIP Billy Strange

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:08 pm

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=189&p=19047&hilit=billy+strange#p19047

R.I.P. Billy
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:51 pm

Billy Strange also featured on a number of Ventures tracks from the 1962/3 recording sessions.

The news is quite big here in Holland. I get more hits on Dutch reports than English ones...strange (pun not intended)

Here's a small article I found in the English language: http://www.newschannel5.com/story/16999 ... away-at-81

[edit] ...and a clip from YouTube (The album pic is reversed; not a lefty Mosrite)

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:28 pm

I love it! When I was a young lad, my mother who was a housewife would play various lp's on our stereo and there was always music in the air at home. She loved Herb Alpert's band The Tijuana Brass and the Baja Marimba band as well. I know all those records by heart, just by happenstance.

Herb's guitarist Bud Coleman who also played with the Baja Marimba band was a HALLMARK guitar endorsee! He received a blue sparkle Swept-Wing delivered to him by Joe Hall. I would love to find a picture of him playing it. Never has surfaced yet.

One of these days I need to get the vintage HALLMARK endorsee's on our website. I would have loved to see a pic of the Baja Marimba Band with the Mexican clothing and hats with Bud playing his Swept-Wing!! Most pictures I have found he is playing an acoustic. Boo!

Bud wrote Tijuana Taxi for the record............or what I meant to say was, for the record, Bud wrote Tijuana Taxi.

$REWARD$ 50.00 to anyone to bring to the table an authentic pic of Bud Coleman playing his Hallmark Swept-Wing!

Bob

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Hey, Bob--

You wrote:
>>She loved Herb Alpert's band The Tijuana Brass . . .

Well, I didn't care for the Tijuana Brass' music, but one of their album covers will remain etched in my mind until my dying day.

I bet I'm not the only one who loved that iconic cover as a kid! Incidentally, it was the only album or record that my dad ever bought in his entire life!!!

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:29 am

TMI Jim.

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:48 am

Paul,
Thanks for posting that YouTube. That's one I had not seen. Gotta love all the electric guitars going on in that tune. That one middle part sounds like it could be a Danelectro baritone. I wonder if he used the red Mosrite on any of the tracks? Anyone know?
Bob,
Good luck on finding the photo. You know it's out there somewhere. If you find it, let us see!

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:45 am

Here is Billy Strange playing what appears to be the red Mosrite. It is obviously "lip synched", but cool otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZ_N6zS4IM

Return to “Music Related”