Rolling Stone's Top 100 guitarists

LewdDude

Re: Rolling Stone's Top 100 guitarists

Postby LewdDude » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:07 pm

look how long the rock and roll hall of shame took to induct the ventures.... They should have been amongst the very first alumni! but nope, they waited for two to die and never see the day! I agree with the top 5 for nokie as well! for both best guitar player AND most influential! Not to mention his roll in introducing the world to mosrite guitars!

Rock on Nokie!
*******Mosrite Forever 1988*******
*************M88 05488*************

TerryTNM
Top Producer

Postby TerryTNM » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:16 pm

"I'm not disagreeing with you but let's keep in mind that many records were released and credited to The Ventures but we know that they had nothing to do with those records."-Edward Lopez

Which records would that be? The Ventures seemed to have a few substitues along the way but are you saying that some un-named studio musicians made recordings and were released as The Ventures?

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:55 pm

TerryTNM wrote:The Ventures seemed to have a few substitues along the way but are you saying that some un-named studio musicians made recordings and were released as The Ventures?

Terry, as I recall that's what was printed in the Ventures book. The Ventures were on tour when an album was released that had been recorded by studio musicians under the title of the Ventures by their recording company trying to keep up with demand. They in turn had to learn 'their' own songs while on the road after the record had been released and the audience began asking for certain songs from the album to be played. I believe Glen Campbell, James Burton and Gene Moles were amungst some of the studio musicians to record Ventures albums without the Ventures present. It's been a couple of years since I read the book so if my recollection is wrong, someone, please correct me.
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:13 pm

I remember that story from the Ventures book too. While there were definitely sessions without the band being present, I suspect that was the exception rather than the rule. Regardless, the playing on the mid 60s live records speaks for itself and Nokie's talents.

That being said, my only surprise about the Rolling Stone list is that any non-wankers are there.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Dear Mr. Waldorf:

In the future, we would appreciate your giving advanced notice before posting statements such as this on the forum:
>>my only surprise about the Rolling Stone list is that any non-wankers are there . . .

I now have to try to get a mixture of Southern Comfort and Coke off the keyboard of my brand-new MacBook Air.

Your cooperation in this matter is greatly appreciated.

--Mr. Page
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:32 pm

Sorry Jim! :)
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:53 pm

That....was FUNNY! :lol: :lol: :lol:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Edward Lopez

Postby Edward Lopez » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:47 pm

TerryTNM wrote:"I'm not disagreeing with you but let's keep in mind that many records were released and credited to The Ventures but we know that they had nothing to do with those records."-Edward Lopez

Which records would that be? The Ventures seemed to have a few substitues along the way but are you saying that some un-named studio musicians made recordings and were released as The Ventures?

Terry: So as not to give you the impression that I ignored your comments, dubtrub explained as good as I would have since I'm reading the book he mentioned ("WALK-DON'T RUN ...the STORY of The Ventures" by Del Halterman). Not necessarily "un-named studio musicians" but non-The Ventures nevertheless. I'm one that even though I know better The Ventures will always be Don, Bob, Nokie, and Mel. All of those "unknowns" that contributed whether on the stage or on recordings hold a special place in our boogiely-woogiely hearts!

Back in the early '70s when listening to their records it disturbed me to hear keyboards when I wanted to hear the pure sound of the 4 best known Ventures. To me it was sacrilegious. Then while reading the book I learned things which the average The Ventures enthusiast is not aware of but which opens a world of wonderment about who you are listening to on any given record while at the same time it doesn't matter 'cause your imagination overrides reality and it's the overall sound that enchants.

vibramutant1965

Postby vibramutant1965 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:28 pm

Rolling stoned are idiots

Edward Lopez

Postby Edward Lopez » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:30 pm

vibramutant1965 wrote:Rolling stoned are idiots

Any organization (R'N'R Hall of Shame, as an example) or publication (Rolling Stone, for one) that depends on opinions will never please 100% of the population. Even here we might disagree on what someone says.

In the long run, it doesn't mean a hill of beans. It's our opinions that matter to us and if someone agrees, it makes you feel better. The idea of a list of anything will always be biased by the originators. The idea of selecting performers, be it the oscars, the grammys, whatever, will always tee someone off who doesn't agree that the selected party deserves the honor. To think that singer Patti Smith, the original skank, deserves the fame she has gotten just shows that taste is in the mouth of the taster!

Return to “Music Related”