Rolling Stone's Top 100 guitarists

64sunburst
Top Producer

Rolling Stone's Top 100 guitarists

Postby 64sunburst » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Sorry if this was already discussed, but i recently received the Rolling Stone issue with their top 100 guitarists list, and I am puzzled and a little outraged that Nokie Edwards did not make the list. How can this be? Here's a guitar player that was arguably THE bigest influence on a generation of guitar players and he's not on the top 100 list? He's top 10 as far as I'm concerned.

Byron

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Re: Rolling Stone's Top 100 guitarists

Postby sleeperNY » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:52 pm

Thats the way those lists go Bryon. I haven't even seen the list but just bet it is heavy with hot lick player and not that heavy on those that play great music. I will disagree with on the top 10 though. I think more like the top 5.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:52 pm

+1 on Jim's comments. Those lists are HIGHLY subjective, compiled by a certain, select group, and they tend to ignore many great ones. Theirs should be labeled as "rock" guitarists, not "guitarists", as that is their focus. And it still omits many great ones.
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

64sunburst
Top Producer

Postby 64sunburst » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:58 pm

Yup, a list like that will never satisfy everyone. There will always be somebody excluded. But my point is that practically every guitar player of a certain age in this country had to have listened to the Ventures at some point. They were THE American guitar band when we were all growing up. How many of us picked up the guitar because of the Ventures? To not acknowledge Nokie as an influential guitarist is beyond me.

Byron

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:08 pm

Yep. I thought the same thing. Jerry Reed, Brian Setzter, Richie Sambora, didn't make it either.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:18 pm

+1 on Nokie being an essential part of the development of instrumental guitar in the 60's, 70's, and even the 80's.

You often also see that ratings are a "generational" thing...the ratings are of musicians in the current field of popular music. We have to face the fact that we, and our favorite musicians are not the heart-throbs of today! :shock: Fact is, there are an astounding number of fine musicians among today's generation as well...time for us to move over and let them play!
Olrocknroller

jtr654
Top Producer

Postby jtr654 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:46 pm

Let face it for Nokie to get votes you'ld have to be at least 50+.Their (Ventures ) last hit was what in early 70's? Not saying he should 'nt be there but he's in good company with those that are not on the top 100.

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:01 pm

olrocknroller wrote:
>>We have to face the fact that we, and our favorite musicians are not the heart-throbs of today!

Hey; I am certainly still a heart-throb, at least in my own estimation, and, although I haven't seen the RS Top 100 list, I'm sure that my name is on it.

--Jimmy Page
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

Edward Lopez

Postby Edward Lopez » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:06 pm

64sunburst wrote:Sorry if this was already discussed, but i recently received the Rolling Stone issue with their top 100 guitarists list, and I am puzzled and a little outraged that Nokie Edwards did not make the list. How can this be? Here's a guitar player that was arguably THE bigest influence on a generation of guitar players and he's not on the top 100 list? He's top 10 as far as I'm concerned.

Byron

In my opinion, the key words in your complaint are Rolling Stone. Some things change for the better and Rolling Stone changed for the worse when it started catering to the college crowd back in the Pleistocene age! After the '60s ended so did R.S. To them, Eric Clapton was god. To me Nokie could play circles around Eric.

Edward Lopez

Postby Edward Lopez » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:10 pm

64sunburst wrote:Yup, a list like that will never satisfy everyone. There will always be somebody excluded. But my point is that practically every guitar player of a certain age in this country had to have listened to the Ventures at some point. They were THE American guitar band when we were all growing up. How many of us picked up the guitar because of the Ventures? To not acknowledge Nokie as an influential guitarist is beyond me.

Byron

I'm not disagreeing with you but let's keep in mind that many records were released and credited to The Ventures but we know that they had nothing to do with those records. That means that the musicians involved were as good as The Ventures and, unfortunately, those musicians are not being honored as they should be.

Return to “Music Related”