Rolling Stone's Top 100 guitarists

LoveyX
Top Producer

Re: Rolling Stone's Top 100 guitarists

Postby LoveyX » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Besides Nokie, another glaring omission is guitarist Phil Keaggy, check him out for yourself; don't take my word for it! And I didn't see Steve Howe either! Oh well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. :roll:

Edward Lopez

Postby Edward Lopez » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:09 pm

dubtrub wrote:I won't get into to a debate with you over what is or what isn't, but to me it's just sad when a legend deteriorates to this level. There comes a time when one must realize they cannot do what they've always done. As for the audience, it's great they cheered him on, but again that was recorded in Spain. Here they wouldn't have been so kind. I saw him about eight years ago and he was sharp as a tack. Even BB King (who is a year older) has slowed down but he still knows how to tune his guitar.

Oh, dubtrub, I also don't want a debate as both our opinions are valid and your observations are worthy of note. About tuning the guitar, isn't that done by one of the many assistants? Chuck should have not played it until it was in tune but perhaps his ears are shot just like mine were after hearing the Surfalicious Dudes after only a couple of hours! And he's been going since the '50s or earlier.

But what is a person such as Chuck supposed to do, retire? Music legends don't retire, they just detune away. :)

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:54 pm

TerryTNM wrote:Mel,
Seeing in person one of your favorites and a legend that may have lost their edge may be a let down in some cases and not so much in others.
I remember many years ago we went to see Andre Segovia for the first time. I had listened in wonder for many years to his classical recordings with amazement. The start of the recital was far less than my expectations for the first couple of compositions. Missing notes losing time. . . But then realized I was in the presence of possibly the greatest classical player that ever lived who was in his twilight years. I thoroughly absorbed the rest of the evening and consider myself very privileged to have been there. He died just a few months after.

Very well said. What an honor to have seen Segovia!
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Edward Lopez

Postby Edward Lopez » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:18 am

TerryTNM wrote:Mel,
Seeing in person one of your favorites and a legend that may have lost their edge may be a let down in some cases and not so much in others.
I remember many years ago we went to see Andre Segovia for the first time. I had listened in wonder for many years to his classical recordings with amazement. The start of the recital was far less than my expectations for the first couple of compositions. Missing notes losing time. . . But then realized I was in the presence of possibly the greatest classical player that ever lived who was in his twilight years. I thoroughly absorbed the rest of the evening and consider myself very privileged to have been there. He died just a few months after.

My "connection" to Segovia: In the '60s I earned money by bothering people (door to door) and trying to get them to buy subscriptions to magazines. Actor Fredric March opened the door and wasn't too happy when I tried to sell him.

But a rather friendly man asked me to come inside and conclude my business. His name was Christopher Parkening. From Wikipedia: "Christopher Parkening (born December 14, 1947) is an American classical guitarist.

Parkening was born in Los Angeles, California, and pursued music in part because of his cousin Jack Marshall, a studio musician in the 1960s. Marshall first introduced Parkening to the recordings of Andrés Segovia when he was 11, and encouraged Parkening to begin studying the classical guitar. By the time he was 19, he had won a number of competitions and was touring and recording extensively.

Parkening is recognized as heir to the legacy of Segovia, who said, "Christopher Parkening is a great artist—-he is one of the most brilliant guitarists in the world."

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:07 pm

It's Rolling Stone.

Give it 1/4500 the credence you would to The National Enquirer.

Return to “Music Related”