Ventures 2011 Fan Jam

Edward Lopez

Re: Ventures 2011 Fan Jam

Postby Edward Lopez » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:34 pm

wstagner wrote:Tom's workin on getting ALL the Ventures to be there in 2012. I'd like nothing more than a "packed house" to show our support for the group.

Don't think I've ever seen so many mosrite/mosrite-like guitars before all in the same room @ the same time.
:o

I'm well aware that before THE VENTURES popularized Mosrite guitars/basses they played various other intruments but let's face it, the VENTURES idealized their image playing Mosrites. When I saw them in 1981 in L.A. at the Starwood I was totally disappointed when they came onstage with (ugh!) "regular" instruments when I expected my fantasy to be realized by seeing them playing Mosrites.

So the point of this reply is that however many VENTURES show up at the 2012 Fan Jam that if they don't bring Mosrites that a point is made with them to agree to be on stage playing Mosrites and I'm sure many Mosrite owners will be honored to loan them their Mosrites, THE VENTURES model or just "plain" Mosrites. That image needs to be revived!

What's your opinion?

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:54 am

The Ventures may like to do FanJam the extra (!) favour of playing a few songs on (loaned) Mosrites but we must realize that it is highly likely (and understandable) that Don Wilson would want to promote his own brand of (Wilson Brothers) guitars. Just my opinion.

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:51 am

I agree with Paul. Don has stated he never liked the narrow necks of the Mosrites, and even asked Semie to make the neck more "Fender-like". But Semie wouldn't go along with it. It was Nokie who embraced the Mosrites. If you want to see The Ventures/Mosrite connection happen, it will be Deke's show in Burbank in a few weeks promoting Nokie's new CD, "Bound and Side Jacked Again!" That is a pretty blatant reference to Mosrites!

Edward Lopez

Postby Edward Lopez » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:07 pm

Veenture wrote:The Ventures may like to do FanJam the extra (!) favour of playing a few songs on (loaned) Mosrites but we must realize that it is highly likely (and understandable) that Don Wilson would want to promote his own brand of (Wilson Brothers) guitars. Just my opinion.

You and Strat-o-rama speak truth. ;)

I have to come out of my THE VENTURES/mosrite fog. :roll: Even though I'm not crary about Wilson Bothers guitars, at least they're better looking than Fenders or Gibsons or what-have-you. :P Thanks for pointing that out. :geek:

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:22 am

Bob Dillion wrote:You and Strat-o-rama speak truth. ;)

I have to come out of my THE VENTURES/mosrite fog. :roll:

Don't! You're not the only one Bob Dillion, I happen to like "Ventures/ mosrite fog" and plan on stayin' in it :D
It would be super cool to see (and hear!) Mosrites -of any kind getting an airing by the lads. :P

[whisper]And I prefer the sound of Bob Bogle's Jazzmaster any day to that of Bob Spalding's WB model. The WB bass, on the other hand has that very desirable Jazzbass sound and configuration...love it when Spalding plays his! :)

balt11tab

Postby balt11tab » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:54 am

sleeperNY wrote:I would have loved to come and it was close enough to me too but this darn band thing keeps getting in the way. Well I'm just going to keep the band job and just hope that next year we aren't playing on that day.

Jim

Tom Baltaeff here- fan jam organizer for the annual VENTURES EAST COAST FAN JAM.
Wanted everyone to know that the tentative date for the '012 event is Sat. Oct. 6th!
MARK your calendars NOW!

balt11tab

Postby balt11tab » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:58 am

Edward Lopez wrote:
wstagner wrote:Coon't agree w/you more, Gary.
Already looking 4ward to FJ 2012.

I missed this year's because I wasn't aware of the event. Now that I know that there might be one in 2012, perhaps you could create a mailing list (if such hasn't been created already) to send announcements to so that I/we can make plans. Once I receive an announcement I can then program it into my Yahoo Calendar.

Edward- Tom Baltaeff here, organizer for the annual VENTURES EAST COAST FAN JAM.
Wanted to let you know the tentative date for the '012 event is Saturday October 6th.
Please MARK your calendar NOW. Yes, I'll periodically update here with other details
periodically once the new year gets underway! THANX for your interest.

balt11tab

Postby balt11tab » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:06 am

Edward Lopez wrote:
Veenture wrote:The Ventures may like to do FanJam the extra (!) favour of playing a few songs on (loaned) Mosrites but we must realize that it is highly likely (and understandable) that Don Wilson would want to promote his own brand of (Wilson Brothers) guitars. Just my opinion.

You and Strat-o-rama speak truth. ;)

I have to come out of my THE VENTURES/mosrite fog. :roll: Even though I'm not crary about Wilson Bothers guitars, at least they're better looking than Fenders or Gibsons or what-have-you. :P Thanks for pointing that out. :geek:

Edward- I think YOUR IDEA is fantastic. Not sure I can 'wield my magic' & get Mr. Wilson to attend. Recently a little birdie
told me he mentioned THE JAM to Don & Don seemed interested. This year, tho Bob Spalding never borrowed any of the
numerous Mosrites on hand- I'm sure he'd agree to not only be seen with one but actually honor us with several songs
using it. And if that 'Wilson fellow' happened to SAY YES, maybe a twisting of his arm would get him onboard with a
Mosrite as well. We can dream I suppose!

balt11tab

Postby balt11tab » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:12 am

MarkyKobane wrote:I might be driving all the way from Chicago! I wish my surf band was still together :cry:
Lemme know if you need a ramones-core band to spice things up! :lol:

Marky- Gettin' a HEADSTART on reachin' some of the interested members from this site in regards to The
Ventures annual East Coast Fan Jam. Our headliners two years in a row THE PICKNIKS travelled from the
Cleveland Ohio area & this year our after dinner band GWG (Guys With Guitars) made the jaunt from just
south of Chicago. So you'd fit right in. Tentatively next year's event is scheduled for Saturday October 6th.
Do me a GIANT FAVOR & mark your calendar NOW!

Edward Lopez

Postby Edward Lopez » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:33 pm

[quote=Edward- I think YOUR IDEA is fantastic. Not sure I can 'wield my magic' & get Mr. Wilson to attend. Recently a little birdie told me he mentioned THE JAM to Don & Don seemed interested. This year, tho Bob Spalding never borrowed any of the numerous Mosrites on hand- I'm sure he'd agree to not only be seen with one but actually honor us with several songs using it. And if that 'Wilson fellow' happened to SAY YES, maybe a twisting of his arm would get him onboard with a Mosrite as well. We can dream I suppose![/quote]

Ouch! Don't twist too hard as you don't want to put him out of commission! :lol:

Return to “Music Related”