A little surf guidance please

mikethemod1992
Valued Member

Re: A little surf guidance please

Postby mikethemod1992 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Give "Crazy Driving","Black Sand Beach", or "Yozora No Hoshi" by Yuzo Kayama. theyre all fun to play :)

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:03 am

And if you want to really hear a variety of Surf music (not surfing songs), listen to some of the free podcasts at Surf Guitar 101.com

Edward Lopez

Postby Edward Lopez » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:01 pm

Sarah93003 wrote:In September I'll be attending the annual NorCal/NorNav Gretsch Roundup. Generally it's just a real fun jam. This year they are adding a theme element which means for one of our sets it will be surf music. I'm embarrassed to say...I don't know any. :oops: I know a couple of Beach Boy tunes (Little Deuce Coupe, 409, etc) but I don't know if they are really "surf" music, as I understand it anyway.

I'm sure someone will be doing Pipeline, and other mega hits, but I'm wondering if someone can suggest 1 or 2 songs that I can learn by then. Is The Shadows "Apache" considered surf music? They also did "Riders In The Sky". Is that surf music?

I know it's a little late but I just saw your request so perhaps the following can also apply to future considerations. I was surprised that in the replies no one mentioned (that I saw) THE VENTURES and THE GO-GOs doing "Surfin' and Spyin'" or the really simple THE VENTURES' "Windy and Warm", so simple that I learned the bass part which is a joy to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maniYDzd-Nw

Return to “Music Related”