The Ventures

Dennisthe Menace

Re: The Ventures

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri May 09, 2008 8:16 pm

Well, I DEFINITELY had that coming to me! LOL!! OK, enough said, tomorrow morning, I will go out and purchase a new camera AND SHOW MY GUITARS. LOL! You're right. :oops:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Sun May 11, 2008 7:43 am

Aww, don't be a menace to the menace. I would like to see his collection too. Kevin

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:27 pm

I'm sure we all remember this photo. I found this good quality copy while surfing the Japanese websites. I thought I'd post it here to add to our bank of Ventures with Mosrite photo's. Notice the '64 era guitar straps and the sunburst headstocks on Bob and Nokie's guitars?

Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:43 pm

dubtrub wrote:I'm sure we all remember this photo. I found this good quality copy while surfing the Japanese websites. I thought I'd post it here to add to our bank of Ventures with Mosrite photo's. Notice the '64 era guitar straps and the sunburst headstocks on Bob and Nokie's guitars?

HeHeHe....Did you also notice that Bob is playing a 2 Pick-up Bass with NO TOGGLE SWITCH???
His Bass must be set up the same way as a Fender Jazz. The only reason I'm thinking that, is
because there's also an EXTRA KNOB on the Pick Guard :mrgreen: .
p.s. Also Nokie and Don are still with their '63s, and I guess Bob is now playing his '64,
because of no Binding??? And this is just a guess...... :roll:

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:01 pm

Good catch on the three knob Bass. That's a new one for me. Did they make production runs of this setup or was this special for Bob? If that's a special alteration done by Semie, then why in heck didn't he make a wider neck for Don when he wanted it?

Ok, I'll give my reason other than what I read in the Ventures book. Production guitars were tooled up with templates etc, and they were cookie cutter making them. In order to make a wider neck, it would require making it by hand. By the time Semie had his P Street factory, he was a white collar executive and was not doing any 'hands on' part of the manufacturing process.
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:24 pm

dubtrub wrote:Good catch on the three knob Bass. That's a new one for me. Did they make production runs of this setup or was this special for Bob? If that's a special alteration done by Semie, then why in heck didn't he make a wider neck for Don when he wanted it?

Ok, I'll give my reason other than what I read in the Ventures book. Production guitars were tooled up with templates etc, and they were cookie cutter making them. In order to make a wider neck, it would require making it by hand. By the time Semie had his P Street factory, he was a white collar executive and was not doing any 'hands on' part of the manufacturing process.

Danny, actually Bob had requested that set up for his Bass....and as far as a certain member goes, I don't want to get started with "Rhythm Boy", but I find it VERY HARD to believe that Semie would not make a WIDER NECK, that early in Mosrite's Life, for one of the members of the group that put him on the map. Not to mention, all through Semie's life, he did nothing BUT continue to make Special Orders and "One offs" only because.....That is what he LOVED to do!! AND, if that's not the case, then would someone please explain to me how he could not make a wider neck, but in '67, he had no problem making 5 guitars that looked like Surfboards, and 3 of them were given to the Strawberry Alarm Clock??!!!??
I'm sorry, but that mention of Semie not making a wider neck for someone......DOES NOT WASH WITH ME......at all.....period!.... :evil:

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:24 pm

That is a classic picture.
I'm waiting for Hallmark to come out with a version of the 60 Custom that looks just like the one Nokie is holding. Bob Shade did say he was giving it serious thought--a sidejack version. I guess it would be the 63 Custom.
Nokie's 63 is the quintessential Mosrite.

zak

Postby zak » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:59 pm

Strat-o-rama wrote:Nokie's 63 is the quintessential Mosrite.

To me...this is the quintessential Mosrite and the quintessential Mosrite player:

Runner-up:

Nokie is a distant third. :lol:

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:08 pm

Hey Zak,
Wish I could hear more of your #1 Choice. And I enjoy Davie Allan too.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:31 pm

........and the rest of the Arrows all played Mosrites as well......

Return to “Music Related”