Nokie Edwards is THE Guitar God, bar none.

Edward Lopez

Nokie Edwards is THE Guitar God, bar none.

Postby Edward Lopez » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:20 pm

I'm not an authority on anything, especially music related. But there is one thing I do know and that's what I like regarding musicianship. All kinds of guitar players are considered guitar gods from Eric Clapton to Jimi Hendrix, with everyone in between. There is no doubt that every considered guitar god is a god to somebody. But, frankly, IMO Nokie Edwards plays rings around ALL of them, individually and together! There is only one throne and Nokie occupies it. Of course, Chet Atkins also sits on a throne but in a different music category.

I started listening to The Ventures back in the early '60s and as each album was released I would buy it and play it until the surface noise was as loud as the content! One thing that became clear was that when Eric Clapton started to become known via The Yardbirds, Cream, etc., and was named THE Guitar Hero, I laughed because before him, during him and AFTER him, there was and there will always be Nokie Edwards. IMO, Clapton was and is overrated.

I don't have to tell you members how great The Ventures were and being inducted into the RNRHOF is a minor honor for the honor really rests in our hearts and we don't need anyone to tell us how great they were, we live and breathe THE VENTURES. Long Live Nokie Edwards, Bob Bogle, Don Wilson, and Mel Taylor.

I am enriched because I met them and interacted with them.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: Nokie Edwards is THE Guitar God, bar none.

Postby Veenture » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:32 am

Bob Dillion wrote:Clapton was and is overrated.
I've heard many people say that. Yeah Nokie is my favourite picker also. Dillon, how fitting it is for you to have a "Nokie model" guitar! ;)

rog43win
Top Producer

Postby rog43win » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:52 am

I love Nokie as well.............he is as fast and smooth and consistent as any player I've ever seen..........another of my favorites.......Vince Gill......I know he is country, but holy cow, can that man play a guitar!! Love his clean leads and speed.....he was on "Live by Request" once, and people call in to request the artist to play something.....well, Chet Atkins called in to request Vince to play "Borderline", and he did.....wow.....such speed with no mistakes...
These 2 are my favorite lead players.......... 8-)

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:12 am

rog43win wrote:I love Nokie as well.............he is as fast and smooth and consistent as any player I've ever seen..........another of my favorites.......Vince Gill......I know he is country, but holy cow, can that man play a guitar!! Love his clean leads and speed.....he was on "Live by Request" once, and people call in to request the artist to play something.....well, Chet Atkins called in to request Vince to play "Borderline", and he did.....wow.....such speed with no mistakes...

Yes! Vince Gill is totally underrated, in my humble opinion. ;)
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:31 pm

Now this is a highly subjective topic ... there are TONS of excellent players of all genres out there, pro and amateur, but my personal fav is still Danny Gatton - it was said of him "he could play anyone's music; no one could play his". His flame died far too soon ...
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

LOSTVENTURE
Valued Member

Postby LOSTVENTURE » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:08 pm

"Long Live Nokie Edwards, Bob Bogle, Don Wilson, and Mel Taylor."
I'm with Mr. Dillion all the way here. I have considered them legends from the first album that I picked up. Anybody remember when the albums were $3.00? I got a lot of free guitar lessons from those guys. I actually got to shake Nokie's hand at a telethon in Nashville, and the experience was, to me, something I will never forget. He is a lead guitar pioneer, and his style was ahead of it's time. There is no telling the influence that he may have had on any of the other great players mentioned. I will always wonder what would have happened if the Ventures/Mosrite deal had lasted another five years. That give me an idea for a thread.
Don

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:16 pm

GattonFan wrote:Now this is a highly subjective topic ... there are TONS of excellent players of all genres out there, pro and amateur, but my personal fav is still Danny Gatton - it was said of him "he could play anyone's music; no one could play his". His flame died far too soon ...
Dennis

Ditto!

It basically boils down to ones favorite genre, there are guitar gods in each.
Danny Ellison

Edward Lopez

Postby Edward Lopez » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:46 pm

GattonFan wrote:Now this is a highly subjective topic ... there are TONS of excellent players of all genres out there, pro and amateur, but my personal fav is still Danny Gatton - it was said of him "he could play anyone's music; no one could play his". His flame died far too soon ...
Dennis

Around February I acquired approx. 14 guitar videos one of them being "DANNY GATTON: TELEMASTER!" I eventually sold it on eBay to a happy customer. Unfortunately, I didn't listen to the videos before I sold them. Just now I was looking for my expired auction listing and in the process came across this one:
Fender Custom Shop Danny Gatton Signature Telecaster Guitar
Ended: Jun 08, 201013:43:39 PDT
Sold For: US $2,999.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Custom-shop- ... 1c132e2751

The above expired listing includes a video of Elvis medley.

Edward Lopez

Postby Edward Lopez » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:06 pm

Sarah93003 wrote:
rog43win wrote:I love Nokie as well.............he is as fast and smooth and consistent as any player I've ever seen..........another of my favorites.......Vince Gill......I know he is country, but holy cow, can that man play a guitar!! Love his clean leads and speed.....he was on "Live by Request" once, and people call in to request the artist to play something.....well, Chet Atkins called in to request Vince to play "Borderline", and he did.....wow.....such speed with no mistakes...

Yes! Vince Gill is totally underrated, in my humble opinion. ;)

Is there an album that you recommend where he plays more than he sings? Has he made any instrumental albums?

Edward Lopez

Postby Edward Lopez » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:12 pm

Veenture wrote:
Bob Dillion wrote:Clapton was and is overrated.
I've heard many people say that. Yeah Nokie is my favourite picker also. Dillon, how fitting it is for you to have a "Nokie model" guitar! ;)

I wouldn't call my Dillion bass a "Nokie model" but it does carry a certain "influence" memorialized by THE VENTURES and since the lead guitar is the one most concentrated on, particularly in videos, his name comes first until Bogle is shown. I cannot access my memory bank dating to 1978 and my reason for selling my Mosrite instead of taking it to L.A. BIG regret! Ditto for my Maphis model. Who knew?!

Are you enjoying your new bass?

Return to “Music Related”