A little something for B-52s fans...

midwestsurfer

A little something for B-52s fans...

Postby midwestsurfer » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:24 pm

I've always liked Ricky Wilson's playing with the B-52s. Just today I ran across this picture, so I thought I'd share it with the forum.

Nick

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: A little something for B-52s fans...

Postby 101Volts » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:43 pm

That is in the "Time Capsule" Compilation album booklet, There are some good ones in there like one of Ricky playing a double necked Mo'. Thanks for sharing though, I was thinking of starting a B-52's Mosrite thread. You know, I didn't look this close at the picture before but judging from the pickguards the two on the left are both Mark Vs, Right? Also, here's a little compilation to the thread with Ricky's 70s Mark I.

1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

midwestsurfer

Postby midwestsurfer » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:22 am

Is this this picture you're referring to 101Volts?

Nick

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:02 am

When I saw them at the Agora right about the time "Private Idaho" was released, Ricky played no less than five different Mosrites during the show.

midwestsurfer

Postby midwestsurfer » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:07 am

Strat-o-rama wrote:When I saw them at the Agora right about the time "Private Idaho" was released, Ricky played no less than five different Mosrites during the show.

It's great that you had a chance to see them when Ricky was still alive! Part of the reason I started this thread is because I was hoping that stories/memories/photos like this would come to light. One (of the many) things that I love about Mosrite gutiars is that they're just so visually and sonically "different" from the other run-of-the-mill guitars that we typically see and hear in pop music, and I think that what Ricky was doing with his Mosrites in the B-52s perfectly illustrates the uniqueness of these instruments.
Nick

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:34 am

midwestsurfer wrote:Is this this picture you're referring to 101Volts?

Aw, That's the stuff. :)

Strat-o-rama wrote:When I saw them at the Agora right about the time "Private Idaho" was released, Ricky played no less than five different Mosrites during the show.

I may have asked you before but do you remember just what they looked like?

Oh and here's a photo of The B-52's first album cover. There is also a photo of Ricky's blue Mk. V.

And here's some video footage of them, Ricky is playing his Blue Mo' here.

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:09 am

That was a while ago. Lets see....I had reserved a table, and it was myself, a girlfirend and another coupla friends...I was a music fiend/guitar nut even back then, but did not have anything near the Mosrite expertise I have gained in recent years thanks to the internet.
I think for the most part they would have been Mark Vs, but at the time I would not have really noticed the difference between a Mark V and a Mark 1. So, we're going by colors...The metallic blue one was used on Rock Lobster and Planet Claire. He also played a metallic green, a red, a burst and what was either a black or dark burgundy color. With the colored lights on stage, it can sometimes be difficult to ID some finishes precisely. I think the reason for all the guitars was different tunings...at least that is what it sounded like. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a closer look. They were at the peak of popularity and the venue was packed.

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:52 pm

Strat-o-rama wrote:That was a while ago. Lets see....I had reserved a table, and it was myself, a girlfirend and another coupla friends...I was a music fiend/guitar nut even back then, but did not have anything near the Mosrite expertise I have gained in recent years thanks to the internet.
I think for the most part they would have been Mark Vs, but at the time I would not have really noticed the difference between a Mark V and a Mark 1. So, we're going by colors...The metallic blue one was used on Rock Lobster and Planet Claire. He also played a metallic green, a red, a burst and what was either a black or dark burgundy color. With the colored lights on stage, it can sometimes be difficult to ID some finishes precisely. I think the reason for all the guitars was different tunings...at least that is what it sounded like. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a closer look. They were at the peak of popularity and the venue was packed.

Thanks a lot! Yeah, I think Ricky had his Mosrite guitars set up with all sorts of different strings of various gauges. The blue one was likely set up with heavy strings, I'm not sure about the other ones. Looks like he had at least two Mosrite guitars in sunburst though. One Mark I, One Mark V. I don't think I've ever seen a Mark I or Mark V in green, It is a rather obscure color for guitars. I think I saw a picture of a Brass Rail and/or a celebrity in green though.

midwestsurfer wrote:Image

Now that I look closer I think I see a Mark V in the lower left corner.

Austin

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:58 pm

101Volts posted:
I don't think I've ever seen a Mark I or Mark V in green, It is a rather obscure color for guitars. I think I saw a picture of a Brass Rail and/or a celebrity in green though.

Just to give you an idea what they might look like, here ya' go! :mrgreen:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:10 pm

I thought I saw a picture of a Green Mosrite guitar recently. Now I know where I saw it. Why didn't I think of that? Well, For the record... Three green vintage Mosrite guitars.

Austin

Return to “Music Related”