Gretsch Northern California/Nevad Roundup

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Re: Gretsch Northern California/Nevad Roundup

Postby Sarah93003 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:06 pm

Strat-o-rama wrote:Cool shot, Sarah. Is your bandmate the lady holding the White Falcon?

Yes, that's Hot Rod Michelle with the White Falcon. She is our lead guitar, vocals and also plays upright bass. She also won a brand new Gretsch Black Penguin at the Roundup. She is totally stoked! Our bass player is standing on the left side with long dark hair hold a black bass. I play rhythm guitar and lead vocals. Our drummer didn't make the trip though.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:48 pm

Hey, Sarah--

Does your band have a Web site or recordings?

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:18 am

JimPage wrote:Hey, Sarah--

Does your band have a Web site or recordings?

--Jim

We just got our domain name and I'm working on the website. So, it just has a place marker for now. We're also working on getting some digital recordings to put on it. The url is: www.thewhitefalconband.com. We also have a MySpace page that is new and in progress. I hope to have lots of pictures and music up in the next couple of months though. I just recently got Guitar Tracks Pro to go with my Omega Lexicon unit and hopefully we'll get some of our rehearsals recorded as well. I'll let ya'll know when I have something to share!
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:51 am

Great, Sarah! We'll all enjoy hearing and seeing that stuff!

Last night was the first gig that I used my two new Hallmark guitars on, and they were great fun to play.

Unfortunately, the band exploded. We had a member whom we knew was full of himself and had a "Oh, this will be good enough" approach, but he surpassed our worst fears.

The most bizarre moment, and there were many, was when he began singing "Tangled Up In Blue." He sang, "Early one morning, uh . . . blah blah blah . . ." and just mumbled nonsense words through the rest of the verse. I said, "What in the heck are you doing?" and he replied, "Oh, the type on my lyric sheet is too small and I can't read the words."

The drummer made a slash sign across his throat to kill the song, and I asked the singer to end the song gracefully (this during the lead, which was hurriedly inserted) and he replied, "But the song has six more verses!" To which I said, "But if you can't read 'em and don't know them, what are you going to do-- sing it in Pig Latin?!??!?!"

Which he proceeded to do, or at least it sounded like it. For the six more verses!!!

Oh, was it horrible to endure. That was the first song of the set and it went downhill from there.

--Jim, still in shock
• '99 Martin D-41
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:15 am

Too bad Jim...
yes, "band explosions" happen sometimes; usually during the 'heat of the battle' with a harsh word or action. It's OK when things have cooled down again afterwards and all is forgiven and forgotten but if one of the members doesn't really fit in with the rest, you'll keep on having upsets -not good for the band.

We once had a singer in the band, a nice quiet guy who had the looks too ...but not the voice... :roll: (that line-up didn't last too long and we continued as an instrumental group).

I reckon any singer is responsible for his own act so perhaps the guy should take his lyric sheet and use it in a foreign club or place where they don't understand "Early one morning..." anyway....:mrgreen:

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:12 pm

Hey, Paul--

Thanks for the good comments. I am frankly in a daze after last night.

I have played behind a fellow from these parts named Johnny Seaton, who did an Elvis thingie at the MGM Grand in Vegas for several years and is playing locally again. Johnny and I are great pals, and I'm going to see if he wants to do something.

Of course, he did a couple of albums when his guitar player was Danny Gatton, and I am NOWHERE near THAT level, but at least I have an ear for what folks like to hear, so that should count for something.

And I have told Johnny that he can only go so far as an Elvis clone.

So maybe we can do something. Either that, or I have the biggest eBay sale of guitars and basses you've ever seen.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:42 pm

JimPage wrote:...Of course, he did a couple of albums when his guitar player was Danny Gatton, and I am NOWHERE near THAT level,...//...So maybe we can do something. Either that, or I have the biggest eBay sale of guitars and basses you've ever seen.
No need for a sale Jim, the level is the level of your band, period. If Johnny can be comfortable with that and hopefully enjoy being part of your band, there's no problem...an option is that he could always just stay himself instead of being an Elvis- or other clone?
If your singer, whoever he may turn out to be, shows that he does not feel 'at home' in your band (with all respect) then you guys should move on...there are other fish to fry you know, that is just how I look at it of course... :|

Anyway, give yourself some time to let the emotions cool down and then allow yourself to make balanced decisions ;)

Hang in there and good luck!

brutus
Top Producer

Postby brutus » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:57 pm

Hey Jim
sorry bout the bad gig.. we all have them from time to time.
Opening with Dylan and not knowing all the words?.... not good.... your singer needs a reality check I hope there is video
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but had to comment.

looking forward to music from the The White Falcon Band there Sarah

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:42 pm

brutus wrote:...Sorry to hi-jack the thread but had to comment.

looking forward to music from the The White Falcon Band there Sarah
+ 1 Sarah :)

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:27 am

+3 Sarah. You and the rest of the White Falcons already have the image/vibe for the kind of music you like.
Nice score for Michelle! Now she's got a Black Penguin to go with her White Falcon...sweet!

Jim, I've been there with the band explosion thing too, from drummers getting on stage and constantly rushing the beat, to a second guitarist playing in the wrong key...and not realizing it! When it happens while gigging all you can do is cover it up the best you can and deal with it afterwards. Also, I would definitely see where your buddy Johnny's head "is at" for breaking free from Elvis and doing the king of music you guys want to do. And don't worry about the Danny Gatton thing.

Return to “Music Related”