Jazz-Funk-rock Mosrite action

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Jazz-Funk-rock Mosrite action

Postby Strat-o-rama » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:09 am

I find this totally refreshing: a Fillmore Mark 1 takes it past The Ventures or garage rock. These guys are jammin', and it's an interesting concept as only the internet can bring. Hope you enjoy as much as I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS3GfLPeyNs

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: Jazz-Funk-rock Mosrite action

Postby Veenture » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:23 am

Yep...like the 4-way split screen concept also.

Hey, did you notice that the red Fillmore Mark 1 beauty (with nice speed stripes btw) has THREE knobs...as well as the usual toggle switch in the treblehorn? :shock: (extra knob for phase switching?)

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:28 am

Great stuff! Is that the same guy playing all the instruments? Same shirt, same pants, looks like the same person.
Danny Ellison

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:48 pm

I'm not sure about the drummer, but that's probably him as well. The cat can play.

Here's another. It's a dance number this time; Disco beat backing tracks. This ain't your grandpa's Mosrite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IDp34kJ ... re=related

He uses several effects patches here. Methinks he's directly into a computer through amp/effects software.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:58 pm

That was KEWL!!! ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:55 am

I noticed that igrek-U claims he is playing covers. Well, apparently he is a talented fan of a group called "The Band Apart", a group in Japan that play a kind of funky, Brit-pop style of music. There are vocals, reminding me of an 'Aha' or 'Tears for Fears' style. The lead guitarist in The Band Apart plays Mosrites. So if anyone is looking for a modern application of the Mosrite sound, look no further than u-tube. Search the name The Band Apart and enjoy dozens of clips of the group, with lotza Mosrite action.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:05 am

Incredible...boy that guy playin' the Mo' has super fast fingers. These guys eat, drink, and sleep music, -pretty evident. :shock:

64sunburst
Top Producer

Postby 64sunburst » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:42 pm

At first I thought this was going to be some contemporary smooth jazz stuff(yawn!), but boy was I surprised! That was incredibly cool. The guy can definitely play, and that song (the 1st one) was totally refreshing - I could listen to it over and over. I'm definitely going to check out their/his other videos. Thanks for posting Strat-o-rama!

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:35 pm

64sunburst wrote:At first I thought this was going to be some contemporary smooth jazz stuff(yawn!)

Excuse me? You are treading on thin ice. Now do you want to hear how I feel about the Ram---s...............never mind. :evil: ;)
Danny Ellison

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:43 pm

Just to reiterate Strat-o-rama's point (which I think got buried in the thread), igrek-U and his bandmate are playing covers - mostly of the Japanese group The Band Apart. The Band Apart's guitarist, Nobukazu Kawasaki, has an endorsement deal and a signature model with Fillmore, and igrek-U's Mosrite is also a custom Fillmore based on the Kawasaki model.

http://www.mosrite.co.jp/musicfair2007_event2.html
http://www.sound.jp/igrek-u/equipment.html

It should also be stated that The Band Apart is a less interesting version of the seminal Japanese indie rock band Number Girl (whose bass player also plays predominantly Mosrites).

Lastly, everyone in Japan can PLAY. Guitar culture and pedagogy is a huge industry with the goal being musicianship first and foremost, regardless of idiom. Sadly, that's an area in which the average guitar player outside Japan is sorely lacking.

Return to “Music Related”