What are you playing on your Mosrite or clone, today?

thunderhead
Top Producer

Re: What are you playing on your Mosrite or clone, today?

Postby thunderhead » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:39 am

I've been learning even more Ventures tunes, there are so many!!!!! I think my band is doing around 30 Ventures covers along with Dick Dale, Link Ray, The Aqua Velvets, The Astronauts, The Chantays and originals.
Click on logo to visit website

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:06 am

Good on you, Thunderhead.

Here in fall-ish metro Chicago on the central coast, after watching the movie "Mama Mia," where the music was ABBA covers, 'been idly picking at the (continually, surprisingly playable) Dillion clone-ish rather than the real thing...

...on, "I Had A Dream" and "Dancing Queen."

Classy, huh.

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:52 am

Well, it's Monday AM. Played the Hallmark alot over the weekend. Let's see: some Freddie King, stuff from Eddie Angel's Guitar Party, which led into a medley of Link Wray (forget the titles), Harlem Nocturne, Yellow Jacket, The Wind Cries Mary, Church Key and a bunch of other things I don't remember. I also practiced mixolydian, dorian, major and minor pentatonics over some changes (I-ii-IV-V), using 9, minor 9, 13, dominant and diminished 7th chords (always keeping the II chord minor)...just to see what worked. Basically, exercising my west coast 'jump blues' skills...
I don't think Charlie Baty has anything to worry about.

Maui

Postby Maui » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:46 pm

Today has been a cloudy, rainy day here in Denver, I actually live just outside of Denver close to the mountains. When I got home today it started to snow. I think I will go down in the root cellar and play a ton of reverb soaked surf tunes starting with pipeline and ending with Surf Party. I will throw in some spagetti western tunes as well................................ 8-)

Chemo
Top Producer

Postby Chemo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:31 am

Today I'm playing punk (we have a band rehearsal). We are currently practicing new songs for a forthcoming album.
This concludes my report from outer space. Now, back to studio!

thunderhead
Top Producer

Postby thunderhead » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:48 pm

Learned The Ventures, "Dick Tracy Theme", their version of "Baja"and "Ram-bunk-shush" today. great tunes!!! Long Live Mosrite!!! 8-)

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:59 pm

Hey--

Spurred on by the reissue of the Beatles catalog, I've been blundering through the Complete Beatles Chord Songbook, which is a heck of a lot of fun.

My apologies to the Fabs, but I've been doing this to their songs for a loooooong time . . .

The Hallmark 60 Custom makes it sound a lot better than it used to on my 1965 EKO Ranger 12-string; that much I know.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

juan_10
Valued Member

Postby juan_10 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:15 am

Hi everyone ,
today I'm learning Slaughter on tenth avenue ... being from Hull , there is a tenuos link.
In fact my mate was a friend of a friend of Mick Ronson's .. and one of Mick's albums was titled
Slaughter etc .... the little pizzicato section is maddeningly tricky for someone as untechnical as me.
It's great how I'm getting to play lighter and with more precision on this neck!

thunderhead
Top Producer

Postby thunderhead » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:58 am

juan_10 wrote:Hi everyone ,
today I'm learning Slaughter on tenth avenue ... being from Hull , there is a tenuos link.
In fact my mate was a friend of a friend of Mick Ronson's .. and one of Mick's albums was titled
Slaughter etc .... the little pizzicato section is maddeningly tricky for someone as untechnical as me.
It's great how I'm getting to play lighter and with more precision on this neck!

Great Tune!!! I play that one also, with my band The Thunderheads. Nokie's version on the Live '65 album was a defining moment for many up and coming Guitarist. And the beat goes on!!!!!

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:37 pm

Oh yeah, "Harlem Nocturne" comes out of the Mk I really nicely. 'Idly fooled around with that tune all over the neck and the verb in and out and even some cheesy tremolo, for a half hour.

And a right and proper number in very fallish Chicago, "Moondance."

Return to “Music Related”