Ramones Mosrite

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Ramones Mosrite

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Yeah, I was referring to his Custom I linked a picture to ;) ......
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:57 pm

Alrighty then. I am not sure which one Johnny had but I think someone said it was No. 03? I'm probably wrong.
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:58 pm

The last guitar Johnny used with the Ramones, was his white Ventures II, which is still on display, I believe, at the RARHOF. It belongs to Daniel Ray. His custom guitar, #JR01, is on display at the hollywood guitar center walk of fame. There is a Ventures II copy on display at the new york annex of the RARHOF, no idea if he ever played it, I kind of doubt it. His last public performance was with Pearl Jam, he played The KKK Took My Baby Away with them. That guitar was owned and then sold by Vincent Gallo, I believe. He played at least one of the Giorgini Precision Craft copies, when he signed pickguards for them, 30 in total. He signed at least 2 Filmore Signature models at the NAMM show for Ed Roman, no idea if he played them. He also played at least one white copy at the Ramones final show, I think Vince Gallo may have had that one too. The custom guitar was used mostly for videos and not very many live shows, I don't recall ever seeing it.

Now the VERY LAST guitar he MIGHT have played could possibly be the Elvis Signature Gibson acoustic he had. I'm going to guess Lisa Marie gave him this guitar, they were very good friends. Johnny claimed to never keep a guitar at home , much less a "folk guitar" but, I saw it in an interview he did in his house after Joey died. He was going to play " Here Today, Gone Tomorrow"(which btw, has one of the very few solos ever played by Johnny live!) on her second record but, died a few days before she recorded it. The Ramones version has an acoustic guitar on it and I think it's a safe bet he would have played this guitar on her record. He also played on a Rob Zombie record, unreleased and, the Lenny, Slim and Danny record of 50's cover songs, He did Viva Las Vegas , I forget the other song.

So, who knows what his last player was?

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:00 am

I have always associated the "Mosrite guitar" with the Ventures model, like the host of Ventures fans of my age usually do, as Adam (dorckrockrecords) so correctly pointed out once. This forum is teaching me that there's more to Mosrite than "that one guitar" ...or even ...than meets the eye!

Yes, so many other Mosrites too, pre-Ventures and post-Ventures but the Ventures model is the one most talked about, so it's fascinating to hear talk about the Ramones model(s) too, that became associated with the Ramones.

I'm amazed at the knowledge and the history there is on the Ramones and their gear....and coming onto the forum too :shock: That b/w 'slab model' is quite attractive and starting to grow on me.

Very interesting guys, thanks for sharing. :)

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:48 pm

I just wanted to add a few things here. Johnny always had several different guitars as backups that he used through out the years on tour. he even used a ventures one, a strat, rickenbacker, and his own signature model Hamer in the 80's. These were usually only used for a few songs on the ramones set, but in the early 90's I have seen Johnny use his ramones model live at least once.
Also he used it in several videos (like mentioned earlier) but also at their "live" performance at the 1995 MTV Movie Awards. BTW also CJ was playing his "Ramone's Model" Mosrite bass at the same show. Interesting note about that bass, it did not have the more common rosewood and metal stopbar tailpiece, but a very rare non-tremolo moseley tailpiece. I never seen one on any other mosrite bass.

Today CJ regularly uses a japanese mosrite bass, modeled after johnny 65 white ventures 2 in his post-ramones band bad chopper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dCjfrLFRSs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6gADaoP ... re=related
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:53 pm

oipunkguy posted:
Also he used it in several videos (like mentioned earlier) but also at their "live" performance at the 1995 MTV Movie Awards.

:evil: What a disappointment that was! No mention of Ramones ANYWHERE on the MTV Awards, only MJ all over the place..... :evil:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:14 pm

The Ramones got very little respect from MTV over the years, they did however get a "special award", presented by Bono, several years back. In true Ramones fashion, they went up, got the statue and walked off. I can't remember if they even said anything. Johnny did wear his Elvis sunglasses for the occasion though.

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

rynaro
Top Producer

Postby rynaro » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:32 am

zarfnober wrote:The Ramones got very little respect from MTV over the years, they did however get a "special award", presented by Bono, several years back. In true Ramones fashion, they went up, got the statue and walked off. I can't remember if they even said anything. Johnny did wear his Elvis sunglasses for the occasion though.

Rocco

haha thats great!
-R
Tym Sweeping Wing Jr #Z0094 (murph trem & mastery bridge)/ Tym vibratone #A0080 (jag trem/pickups)>Heaps of pedals>Vox AC15HW
http://www.facebook.com/tenderbones
https://tenderbones.bandcamp.com
http://ryanlhumphreys.bandcamp.com

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:26 am

whats funny is the last time I saw the Ramones was at the 1996 Lalapoza tour, or however it's spelled. it was held at the Charles Town Race way in freakin west virginia. For those of you not from around this area, Charles Town is a big horse racing venue, so you could imagine the smell of horse dung in the hot august sun.
And of course the Ramones went out to play there set in 90 degree weather still wearing their leather jackets, lol.
Right before they started into Blitzkrieg Bop, Joey said "Great F***in' day for a horse race ain't it?"
lol good times. 8-) 8-) 8-)
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

johnnyboy1234

Postby johnnyboy1234 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:42 am

I just saw CJ w/ Daniel Rey at the Whiskey and he was playing his Mark II Mosrite bass and he played all Ramones songs...quite well I might add. He played them the same tempo as the 70's (my fave). Also don't know who the drumer was but he was quite good at keeping the Tommy/Marky style the same.
1965 Mosrite Ventures II
1966 Mosrite Mark V
1984 Gibson Les Paul
1985 Fender Telecaster
1992 Gibson Les Paul

Return to “Music Related”