Recording for practice

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Re: Recording for practice

Postby MWaldorf » Thu May 21, 2009 9:52 am

Veenture wrote:In the video the switch was all the way in the bridge position...believe it or not (don't forget, speakers do a lot too!) and my strat is a 50's Classic made in Mexico so I presume the pups are pretty standard. I won't replace them though, because they do have that vintage sound which is what I really want after all. In my playing style you can hear my attack which also accounts for the overall sound too. But I hope I'm not hijacking this thread now...
:)

In addition to the bridge pickup, a key to the sound is to pluck the strings close to the neck. From what video's I've seen, Hank Marvin usually would pick the strings somewhere between the middle and neck pickup, often directly over the neck pickup, which gives a "spanky"-ness to the tone that sounds sort of that that in-between quack. To bring this back around to recording for practice, if you record video, you'd be able to match up tone to playing position, as you can in Veenture's video.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: Recording for practice

Postby Veenture » Thu May 21, 2009 11:56 am

Good observations Mel and you're so right; we can also learn a lot from watching! (video feedback)

Return to “Music Related”