which amp 4 the Ventures sound

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: which amp 4 the Ventures sound

Postby Veenture » Sat May 02, 2009 4:43 am

I remember reading somewhere (probably Harmony Central, too) that the 70's Silverface circuits are NOT the same as the Vintage Blackface ones, so take note. Sure, the vintage circuits (point to point wiring, sturdier quality components etc.) are better but come at a price. For my money, I'd go for the Custom VRRI ;)

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Sat May 02, 2009 6:25 am

I'm not sure just what modern day amp would sound the best but I do remember seeing the ventures on a you-tube clip and Nokie was using a new Fender Twin Custom 15. You can tell because the Custom 15 plate was visible in the video. I might have been on there induction show to the hall of fame. It is in the upper right corner of the grill cloth. I also don't remember seeing them play through amps that didn't have 15" speakers. Of course I could be wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-qWW39JRdQ
Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sat May 02, 2009 9:13 am

Yeah, impressive but with 85 watts(!) you’ll be waking up the dead and getting the neighbours all over you before the amp’s natural overdrive even starts kicking in …
Price $1,700.= (for Europe, add a couple hundred more) …and heavier too. Get a better look at it:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... S&ZYXSEM=0

But, I’d better stop because,…..….the more I look at it, THE MORE I WANT IT!!! :twisted:

Your decision Bruno ;)

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Sat May 02, 2009 12:19 pm

Ya it is heavy but it sounds so good on stage. I don't play with overdrive but if I need it I just use a pedal. I also don't think it is quite as loud as a 2x12 Twin. It just isn't moving as much air, but it can get VERY loud if needed. LOL I have had mine for about 4 years and no troubles at all. It does have more highs than the 2x12 and also much better bottom end due to the JBL clone it has. I have no plans on changing amps.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

brunob

Postby brunob » Sun May 03, 2009 8:35 am

I played a couple of months ago with it!
just plug in with a Dipinto Galaxie 4,amazing!
a great sounding amp I remember...heavy.not like mine 76 twin rev.
I will see....
Bruno :twisted:

Philipp

Postby Philipp » Sun May 03, 2009 11:58 am

i don't know if you will find this interesting
but to me it is fascinating:

http://mixonline.com/recording/tracking ... index.html

describes the technique and equipment used to record walk don't run

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Sun May 03, 2009 2:19 pm

brunob wrote:ok,I've to make up my mind:
I could find a Vibrolux custom reissue for 800-900 euro
or a Pro-reverb(76) 1600 euro
a 75 Vibrolux at 1600 euro
mmmmmmmmm....the winner is?
everybody at Harmony-central tells all the good of the old ones SF,but they are really expensive and not looking that good by the picture.
Any advise?
Bruno :twisted:

brunob: The price on used Vibrolux custom reissue is high but not too bad (used is about $850-900 here in the US), but the prices for the vintage ones in Europe are outrageous! Normally mid or late 70's Silverface are quite inexpensive here.

I just turned down a deal for a 1966 Blackface Pro reverb (original speakers etc.) for $1700 yesterday as I just got a cleanest 1972 all stock Silverface Twin Reverb for $825 (sounds great too!)

This is my $0.02

Strat-o-rama
Top Producer

Postby Strat-o-rama » Mon May 04, 2009 7:07 am

Bruno,
Keep in mind the Silverface amps from 68 to 79 went thru a few design changes, and they will sound slightly different depnding on when they were made. Generally, they are all noted as being 'clean machines', and an amp like the Silverface Twin is famous for tons of clean headroom. Like Scot and Mel stated, much of The Ventures music was recorded using Brownface amps. they do sound different form the Silverfaces, as Mel stated, less scooped and they break-up nicely. Fender doesn't make a RI of a true Brownface type circuit, but the Vibrolux Custom may be the closest you can get without having to shell out big bucks for an original. VCRI is exactly what the name implies...it is Custom, and differs from the vintage models. There is no negative feedback loop, so the amp will start to break-up early on. Not a lot of headroom, and designed to be that way on purpose. It is also a bit noisy, but at the Fender Discussion Page there are some folks who mod them to make them quiet and have more headroom. Also, it seems everyone hates the speakers, and usually replace those. The guys who tweak 'em really love them and say it is a great gigging amp for most American Roots style music.
Anyway, maybe this'll help you in making your decision.

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Mon May 04, 2009 7:17 am

Strat-o-rama is right about Fender silverface Amp. The early '70 models might be OK as they used the similar Blackface specs inside but later on they made a lot changes especial during the wattage power war in late '78-79. The quality went down. Watch for those powerful (135 W) amps with push-pull type volume control knob.

My $001 input..

mosriteer

Postby mosriteer » Mon May 04, 2009 6:37 pm

Most of the early silverface amps can be easily modded to get the blackface sounds. I have a vibrolux reverb that has this mod and it breaks up nice and warm. The sound that Nokie now gets using the twin reverb is nowhere close to the 60s sound - I have been at a few recent concerts where he used this amp.
-Kanad

Return to “Music Related”