The Ventures in Seattle

handbrake
Top Producer

The Ventures in Seattle

Postby handbrake » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:54 pm

A handful of us are traveling to Seattle to see The Ventures and The Wailers on April 10.

http://www.themoore.com/artists/?artist=964

The bands are celebrating the release of a new CD called "Two Car Garage" that includes seperate and collaborative works.

http://www.theventures.com/index.php?pg=news&id=30

We bought tickets that will admit us to a meet and greet before the show. The event is about a week away and I'm starting to feel a creeping sense of responsibility about meeting The Ventures!

Truthfully, I'm new to the forum and have a lot to learn about the details of surf rock--not to mention The Ventures in particular. Given the chance to meet The Ventures, I wonder what my fellow forum members would ask, say or do?

Deke Dickerson
Top Producer

Re: The Ventures in Seattle

Postby Deke Dickerson » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:35 pm

The question with the Ventures these days is: Who's gonna be there? The last touring version of the Ventures I heard was Nokie Edwards on lead guitar (original guy), Don Wilson on rhythm guitar (original guy), Bob Spalding (not an original guy, but a guy who has been "the fifth Venture" since the 80's when one of the other guys couldn't make it) playing bass & guitar, and Mel Taylor's son Leon on drums. Bob Bogle, the original lead guitarist and later the bassist, has retired, but since he lives up there, he might just be at the show.

Then again, if Nokie can't make it, then you'll get Gerry McGee, the lead guitar player starting in about 1968, who has played with them off and on since then.

For my money, Gerry McGee is a great guitar player, BUT Nokie "is" The Ventures. If Nokie's not there, I'm disappointed.

But that doesn't really help you with what to ask them when you see them, just thought I'd help prepare you when you get there.

Not sure who is in the wailers these days. It's usually Kent Morrill, the original singer and keyboard player, and Buck Ormsby, the bass player and leader of the band, and some local guys and some young guys. Last version I saw (in Memphis at the Ponderosa Stomp 3 years ago) was actually really good. Other lineups of the band can vary from good to abysmal, it just depends on who is there.

Hope that helps!

Deke

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:46 pm

Deke posted:
Bob Bogle, the original lead guitarist and later the bassist, has retired, but since he lives up there, he might just be at the show.

Deke, I believe I read somwhere that Bob Bogle retired due to Health Reasons, and can no longer make the "Road Concerts." :cry:
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

handbrake
Top Producer

Postby handbrake » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:22 am

ImageImage
ImageImage

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:03 am

NICE PIX Handbrake! Interesting that they had the Tympani Drums (obviously for Hawaii 5-0),
and Don had an interesting Fender Stack on stage :) ........
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:26 am

Wish I could've been there too...anyway, another new cd "TWO CAR GARAGE" to add to my WANTS list...
THANKS for posting such nice and recent pictures of my fav. band, handbrake! Nokie is looking good...he seems to be getting younger... :)

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:04 am

Thanks Handbrake for sharing. Nice photos.

From Alaska to Seattle, you are a true Ventures fan!

Can you tell us what songs did they play at the concert?

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:16 am

Desert Surfer wrote:...//...Can you tell us what songs did they play at the concert?

Vincent, probably some of 'em found here ;) .............http://www.twocargaragemusic.com/

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:49 am

Thanks, Veenture

Did they (The Ventures) really play these songs? These are not their typical numbers.. But if they did, I am glad they have tried some things new...Wish I was there...

handbrake
Top Producer

Postby handbrake » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:15 am

Hi all, thanks for the feedback. The concert was great, but I was pretty naive about being able to talk to The Ventures. There was a crush of people at the venue before the show and the best I could muster was getting the CD art signed.

The show was great. The Wailers were LOUD and played a pretty tight set. I thought The Ventures were terrific--smooth, confident and artful like legends. Their musicianship is really amazing. Nokie smiled occasionally throughout the set, but he was most expressive with his guitar. He was doing tuner bends and string chirps and the crowd was eating it up. I think I've got a picture with Nokie's hand on the headstock--I'll put that up soon. Bob Spaulding was dynamic on bass (Nokie actually played bass on the first two songs) and Don Wilson was cracking jokes and tearing up the surf riffs. Leon Taylor had his solo at the end of the set. He came out from behind the drum kit and beat on Spaulding's bass while pictures of his father were displayed on the screen behind.

I'm not your average Ventures fan since this is the first time I've seen them live. And going to Seattle from Alaska had as much to do with a penetrating case of cabin fever ten weeks ago as it did with my affection for the band. All the same, I really enjoyed The Ventures. And kudos to their guest musicians, including Alan White from Yes on kettle drum for Hawaii 5-0 (as noted above) and the Lt. Gov. of Washington State who played sax on Surf Rider.

I didn't keep track of the song order, so I've got to recognize the blogger here >>http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/ej/2009/04/11/ventures_wailers_set_list<< who did.
The Ventures set list for the Ventures & Wailers 50th anniversary show at The Moore Theatre, April 10, 2009
Walk, Don’t Run
Blue Dawn
Driving Guitars
Telstar
El Cumbanchero
Slaughter on 10th Ave.
Apache
Penetration
Out of Limits
Surf Rider (with Lt. Governor Brad Owen)
Secret Agent Man
Sleepwalk
I Got a Woman
Walk, Don’t Run ‘64
House of the Rising Sun
Diamond Head
Hawaii Five-O (with Alan White of Yes)
Wipe-Out
Pipeline
Caravan
Encore: The Ventures & The Wailers
Needles & Pins