Hendrix plays a Mosrite....HUH!?!?!?

brutus
Top Producer

Re: Hendrix plays a Mosrite....HUH!?!?!?

Postby brutus » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks for posting the photos guys. It's so cool to see these rare double-necks (Davie's and Jimi's). Now, when the photo of Jimi playing one shows up that will be
great.
I think I might look for a Eddie Kramer book there might be photos of the Spanish Castle session. But then if such a photo was around I'm sure it would be know to Mosrite freaks like us already.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:11 pm

Brutus posted:
I think I might look for a Eddie Kramer book there might be photos of the Spanish Castle

That's a very kewl idea Brutus!!
But then if such a photo was around I'm sure it would be know to Mosrite freaks like us already.

Not necessarily; everyone might of thought of what you just said....and dismissed the whole idea.
i.e. Look at what Mosritforever just posted, I've never seen that PIC before ;)

BTW Johnny, VERY KEWL PHOTO of the 2 guitars! :(
Did anyone notice in the article, that there's no mention of Mosrite ever making the last 200 Black Widow Spiders for Acoustic?? They also said this about the Spider: "nor is it known to have been used on any Hendrix recordings or performances."....On the contrary, there WAS a PIC of Hendrix playing the Spider live floating around the Internet, but I haven't a clue how to go chase that down.
The other thing I also wanted to mention was what I originally had posted on this Thread, which was: A lot of us knew about the Mo' Doubleneck and some of us knew about the Spider, but there was a 'mention' by E.R. that Hendrix "had owned and used a Mosrite guitar for many years." Well, we all know it couldn't be that manys years, but....I DO RECALL hearing or reading somewhere (God Knows!) that Jimi also owned either a Mosrite Dobro or Mobro and
THAT might be the single neck Mosrite that E.R. might of been referring to. I don't think they would refer to the Acoustic Black Widow Spider as a Mosrite.........
.....darn!!! More investigating to do :| ......
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:36 pm

Dennisthe Menace wrote:Brutus posted:
I think I might look for a Eddie Kramer book there might be photos of the Spanish Castle

That's a very kewl idea Brutus!!
But then if such a photo was around I'm sure it would be know to Mosrite freaks like us already.

Not necessarily; everyone might of thought of what you just said....and dismissed the whole idea.
i.e. Look at what Mosriteforever just posted, I've never seen that PIC before ;)

BTW Johnny, VERY KEWL PHOTO of the 2 guitars! :(
Did anyone notice in the article, that there's no mention of Mosrite ever making the last 200 Black Widow Spiders for Acoustic?? They also said this about the Spider: "nor is it known to have been used on any Hendrix recordings or performances."....On the contrary, there WAS a PIC of Hendrix playing the Spider live floating around the Internet, but I haven't a clue how to go chase that down.
The other thing I also wanted to mention was what I originally had posted on this Thread, which was: A lot of us knew about the Mo' Doubleneck and some of us knew about the Spider, but there was a 'mention' by E.R. that Hendrix "had owned and used a Mosrite guitar for many years." Well, we all know it couldn't be that manys years, but....I DO RECALL hearing or reading somewhere (God Knows!) that Jimi also owned either a Mosrite Dobro or Mobro and
THAT might be the single neck Mosrite that E.R. might of been referring to. I don't think they would refer to the Acoustic Black Widow Spider as a Mosrite.........
.....darn!!! More investigating to do :| ......

....................I FOUND IT!!!.....................

But, I have no way of knowing if this might of been the Single Neck
Mosrite referred to in the E.R. Article in the previous article.........

Home Guitar Articles Guitar Reviews Guitar Videos Guitar Tools About GPC
BTW, if you do not wish to read the whole article, skip to the last paragraph in Bold and Italic Text ;)

The Guitars of Jimi Hendrix

To most people the truth about when he Jimi Hendrix got his first guitar and what types of guitars he played throughout his career is somewhat of a mystery. Although, he was unarguably the greatest guitar player ever, and with his fertile musical mind, perhaps the greatest composer of our generation or ever for that matter. No disrespect intended, putting Jimi in company with Bach, Beethoven and the likes. True Genius.

The path that will be described here is what I would consider the most accurate, after a lot of research and a little voodoo-magic. Realistically though, boiling down the mixture may leave some people to disagree with me, and I welcome the input.

The evidence and consistencies suggest that his first guitar was a cheap acoustic his dad gave to him, as early as eleven years old. The story goes as such, that even at a young age of six years, his school teacher mentioned to his dad, ” Jimi obsesses over having a guitar so much that it may be contributing to some mental health issues”. Not to discount todays teachers, but that was a very perceptive statement at that time.

His first electric guitars were bought from Myers Music in Seattle in 1959. Professed to be a white, single pickup Supro Ozark. The next axe that Hendrix played was a red Danelectro single pickup Silvertone, nicknamed “Betty Jean”. In ‘62, while doing some gigs with the King Casuals in Tennessee, he traded his Danelectro for an Epiphone Wilshire, which had dual pickups and a glued on mahogany neck with a solid mahogany body, as opposed to the bolt on Fender Stratocaster guitar necks.

In 1964, Jimi would play rhythm guitar for the Isley Brothers. During this nine month gig, he finally got his first Fender guitar, a blond ‘59 Duo-Sonic. He next played with Little Richard in ‘65, and briefly played a Fender Jazzmaster. However, he switched back to a Dou-Sonic when he played with Curtis Knight and the Squires. Even though Jimi later returned to the Jazzmaster.

A point of interest is that none of the gigs he had with the bands mentioned above lasted very long, because Jimi’s guitar work stole the show. His unbelievable guitar abilities were noticed by all immediately, which took the focus away from the musical-icons he worked for.

Jimi purchased his first Strat from Manny’s Music in New York in ‘66 in the summer. Early on he would use a variety of CBS Strats with rosewood fretboards. While he was staying in Greenwich Village in late ‘66 and ‘67 he narrowed down his choices to black or white Fender Strats using maple fretboards. Which, most likely is the reason the Fender Stratocaster is the most important guitar in the history of guitars and music.

From then on he played Fender Stratocasters with large headstocks. One of his many unusual playing techniques was to play a right handed guitar backwards, or in the left handed position, obviously because Jimi was left handed. In order to do that one must reverse the strings and (bone) nut so the low E was still on the top. My understanding was that he preferred the controls on the top of the guitar. Apparently he could work his magic easier with the voluminous amount of tricks he performed, partly by messing with the volume control knob. Jimi was not much on tone controls or guitar setup. Mostly Jimi spent the bulk of time modifying his tremolo to do things like lower the pitch more than usual and create trem sounds otherwise unheard of.

Naturally Jim Hendrix had purchased and played a tremendous assortment of guitars in his lifetime. During my fact finding mission, this is the list of the other guitars Jimi most likely owned and played; a Gibson ES-330, a Gibson Firebird, a Mosrite electric resonator guitar, a Guild 12 string acoustic, a Black Widow Spider acoustic, several Rickenbacker’s including a bass Rick, a double neck Mosrite, a Hagstrom 8 string bass(it was the on played on “Spanish Castle Magic” from the ‘Axis Bold As Love album)”, a ‘67 Gibson Flying V, a ‘67 Gretsch Corvette, a lefty Guild Starfire Deluxe, a Hofner electric, a ‘55 Gibson Les Paul, a Gibson Dove acoustic, a Martin acoustic, a ‘68 Gibson SG Custom and a black lefty Flying V. Wow!

dorkrockrecords
Master Contributor

Postby dorkrockrecords » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:24 am

Houston, we have a problem...

Note the f-hole:

No f-hole:

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:36 am

dorkrockrecords wrote:Houston, we have a problem...

Note the f-hole: ....//........

Indeed Adam and thanks to the addition of your picture we can have some more fun ;) ...spot the differences:

-f-hole (as mentioned)
-tuning keys (?)
-size of the dot markers
-bridge and string anchor, (plus positioning)
-input jack washer/cover, (plus positioning)
-different positioning of the volume and (different)tone knobs
-pick-up switch seems further away from the neck pup in dorkrockrecords' pic.

-what else.....................maybe Jimi had two Black Spiders? ...he could afford them after all, heh, heh...
but then the best one is the one made by Semie, ...of course! :mrgreen:

mosriteforever

Postby mosriteforever » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:03 am

Hey all,
When I sold my Moseley made Black Widow a while back, I was contacted by a gentleman who said the Widow Hendrix is playing in the picture is his and that he loaned that one to Jimi. Paul Barth made them and they were basically, prototypes. Hendrix was gone by the time these guitars were introduced to the public in 1972. For more on these guitars go to http://www.acousticblackwidow.com

Mosriteforever!

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:28 am

.............incredible..............I continue to be absolutely amazed at all the knowledge and know-how that's on this forum! :roll: thanks to all concerned.

...makes this here small fry from Holland take up a humble position... :oops:

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:48 am

Brutus posted:
Thanks for posting the photos guys. It's so cool to see these rare double-necks (Davie's and Jimi's). Now, when the photo of Jimi playing one shows up that will be
great.
I think I might look for a Eddie Kramer book there might be photos of the Spanish Castle session.

You mean LIKE THIS :shock: ????

ANTIQBOOK
MCDERMOTT, JOHN / EDDIE KRAMER / REF : JIMI HENDRIX Jimi Hendrix - Setting the Record Straight with John Mcdermott & Eddie Kramer
New York: Warner Pub, 1992. First Printing. Soft Cover. Rare Photos. 6 x 9 x 1 " 0446394319 1992 Softcover 1st printing ... Brand new from publisher ... Never opened, Never owned, Never marked ... Gift Giving quality .... 364 pages ... illustrated with 16 pages of rare never-before-published B&W photographs ... Since 1970, the mythmakers have chosen to portray legendary guitarist and musician Jimi Hendrix as a risk-taker who lost it all - and not the serious musician whose sole desire was to play and write good music ... Now, authors John McDermott and Eddie Kramer ( Jimi's longtime engineer ) finally set the record straight ... From Jimi's Greenwich Village days to his Electric Ladyland nights, they chronicle the innovative techniques of a pioneer who painstakingly worked to perfect the sounds others couldn't even imagine ... They also take a rare and detailed look into the music industry and show how the same business acumen that nurtured Jimi's image while he was alive, later worked to discredit him after his death ... Told completely in firsthand accounts by Jimi's closest friends, associates, and fellow musicians, this is the definitive biography of a legend whose recording career transformed the essence of rock and roll ... " Hendrix : Setting the Record Straight with John McDermott & Eddie Kramer " ... by John McDermott & Eddie Kramer ... published by Warner Books ... 1992 softcover First ***. NEW .

Offered for US$ 19.95 by: Cavendish International Books & Music - Book number: 5477
See more books from our catalog: Music - Rock, Pop, Blues, Soul, Jazz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hundreds of the world's finest antiquarian and used booksellers offer their books on Antiqbook. They offer full satisfaction and normal prices - no markups, no hidden costs, no overcharged shipping costs. Over 10 million books at your fingertips!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Search all books at Antiqbook

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:19 pm

Don't show the doubleneck picture to the Strat fanatics because it will make them cry.

Vintage Soul

Postby Vintage Soul » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:32 am

Hi Guys, if you go to the Unofficial Acoustic Control Corp. forum/ under look at the rigs/favorite example of Acoustic at its best, you will find a picture of a pal Harvey Gerst playing the guitar that Jimi own. Harvey was a top designer for Acoustic and was there from the begining. That Black Widow was confiscated by Jimi at TTG studios where he was recording. He tried it out loved it and told Harvey he had to have it. Well that left Harvey in a bad Position. Harvey had a Guitar show that he had to attend with his Left handed Black widow that weekend. Harvey had to go back to the office and tell his company what just happen. Jimi spent alot money at Acoustic so they let the man have it! Harvey owns a great recording studio with his son in Dallas,Tx. If you notice at the bottom of that pix of Jimi playing that black Widow you can see the name of that recording studio TTG in LA. My two cents.......................Tony G. 8-)

Return to “Music Related”