Amp for surf playing

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Re: Amp for surf playing

Postby Desert Surfer » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:06 pm

Thanks. You guys are great! Now I've got so much info that I have digest slowly:

64sunburst wrote:I second strat-o-rama's recommendation - the Vibrolux, and after that the Deluxe. The Blues Jr. might be good too, but I don't have much experience with them. A Twin is definitely too much amp. I've tried a Koch at my local guitar shop - it's a nice little amp, but I think you'd be happier with a Fender. Even though the reverb on the Vibrolux and Deluxe don't match a tank, they're still pretty nice. I've played some nice boutique amps like Carr, Koch, Bad Cat, Matchless, etc but nothing really sounds like a Fender except a Fender.

Byron

Yes, I will try Vibrolux first this week, test it side by side with my Koch. If Vibrolux sounds better than Koch and I can work out a reasonable trade with my dealer, I will go for it.

If it does not work out, the next option will be:

MWaldorf wrote:On the pricier side, you could consider a Gomez "G-Reverb" Amp - it's basically a brown Princeton with on-board reverb and a 15" speaker. Dario Gomez's amps get rave reviews from the folks who own them, including Denis from Zak's band, who owns the Surfer Amp model (a brownface Showman replica) and Eddie Bertrand (from Eddie and The Showman) who plays the G-Spring and El Sonido.

Dario posts on the SurfGuitar forum and he mentioned having a couple of these left in stock, and it might suit you very well.
http://www.gomezamps.com/index.html

Yeah, I heard a lot good review for this Gomez amp on Telecaster forum. It is hard find at local stores. I don't think GC or Sam Ash carry this brand. Still looking..

Another option suggested by Dennis

Dennisthe Menace wrote:Vincent, I'll second Mel's vote for Ampeg, but if you are a true Fender Man,
then my vote would go to the FENDER Blues Junior for a number of reasons....
1) It only weighs in roughly around 30 pounds, give or take a few pounds.
2) TRUE FENDER Spring REVERB. It might not have the sound of a tank, but will be
darn close without you having to go chase down another piece of gear for practice.
3) Has Master, Treble, Midrange, and Bass controls, not just a Tone Knob.
4) Has a 12" Speaker, so that it won't sound like you are playing through
a Transistor Radio; remember those? :mrgreen:
5) It uses 3 12 AX7 preamp Tubes as well as 2 EL 84 Power Tubes, so you will get a 'Nice Valve Sound'.........
BTW, the Tubes are GROOVE TUBES. Everyone has their opinion on these, but they are decent for the money.
6) Great as a Practice Amp, Studio Amp for recording, or EVEN a great GIGGING Amp,
as long as you mic it, unless it is a small venue....
7) This Amp costs about $450 depending where it is purchased. But like the old phrase says,
you are actually getting "More Bang for the Buck" which I still believe that this amp comes
with a 5 year warranty, excluding the Tubes....
8) 15 Watts R.M.S. into 8 ohms. It's one of the loudest 15 watt amps I've ever heard! :shock:
9) It does have access for dirty sound, but if you leave the Master up, you can pretend that it's not even there ;)
10) Vincent, as ALWAYS, ONLY YOUR Own Ears can make the judgement. GOOD LUCK to you! ;)

Thanks, Dennis. It sounds that this amp is reasonably priced and has everything I need. I shall test it out. Actually a small amp in this size is probably all I need. If the above does not work out. I will probably sell my Koch and get this one and invest the money on other guitars...

I will update you guys in a week or so...

Johnnyguitarjl

Postby Johnnyguitarjl » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:16 pm

I use a new 65 Deluxe Reverb amp.It has tube spring reverb plus it has a rectifier tube in it.22 watts 6v6 power tubes and it's only 42 lbs.These amps cost 949.00 new.I would go to a music store and play one,that's what I did.I love mine sweet tone and lot's of reverb.

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:51 pm

Johnnyguitarjl wrote:I use a new 65 Deluxe Reverb amp.It has tube spring reverb plus it has a rectifier tube in it.22 watts 6v6 power tubes and it's only 42 lbs.These amps cost 949.00 new.I would go to a music store and play one,that's what I did.I love mine sweet tone and lot's of reverb.

Thanks, Johnny: There is used but like new on for sales locally for $600. I will consider that. I am going to try the vintage Vibrolux tomorrow first.

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:23 pm

After all the great advices, I think I have disappointed many of you...

I went to my guitar dealer last weekend and tested his vintage Vibrolux and my Koch Amp side by side. I like both of them. But tone wise, I couldn't hear a big difference between two, or big enough to justify the trade up. So I decided to keep my Koch Amp for a while.

Today I saw a mint condition used Twin Reverb at great price locally. So I couldn't resist and bought it. It has casters and a little easier to move around. Now I have gone back to the square one like a few years ago... :oops:

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:34 pm

OooooWeeee! darn that's sweet....................and Ohoooo so heavy. ;)

Is somone having an early Christmas? :lol:
Danny Ellison

dellison

Postby dellison » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:57 pm

Wow! That looks REALLY nice! Congrats on the find!

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:37 pm

Congrats on the Twin - what year is it? Is it a reissue?

After years of shlepping my '67 Twin Reverb around, I converted mine into a piggyback. It's been much easier on my back!

Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:51 pm

Congrats to you Vince! ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:57 am

Twin Reverbs are superb amps! Good catch, Vincent. I really like Pro Reverbs too and think of them as a mini-Twins.

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:35 am

Thanks, guys! It is a 2006 65' reissue, not the original vintage. I can't be this lucky :)

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”