Fender Pro Junior

dellison

Fender Pro Junior

Postby dellison » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:10 pm

Hello, I have a question about small amps. I was thinking of trying to pick up another small tube amp that doesn't weigh a tone that I could keep at work. I didn't realize that Fender made their little Pro Junior 15W tube amp. Anyone have any experience with it?

The only reason I ask is because my Marshalls sound like crap after playing through the hot rod...

Thanks!

Dennisthe Menace

Re: Fender Pro Junior

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:19 pm

dellison wrote:Hello, I have a question about small amps. I was thinking of trying to pick up another small tube amp that doesn't weigh a tone that I could keep at work. I didn't realize that Fender made their little Pro Junior 15W tube amp. Anyone have any experience with it?
The only reason I ask is because my Marshalls sound like crap after playing through the hot rod...
Thanks!

Duane,
1) How big is your Office Area?
2) Is the Office SEPARATE from other workers?
3) Do you own an Effects Processor? Would it be more
feasible to use the FX Pedal, being that you could use
the Headphones with it and no one could hear you, or
that does not matter???
4) The Pro Junior is a cool little amp, but very limited to
tone control, and it still might be to loud in your own
work environment. :|
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:10 pm

dellison wrote:Hello, I have a question about small amps. I was thinking of trying to pick up another small tube amp that doesn't weigh a tone that I could keep at work. I didn't realize that Fender made their little Pro Junior 15W tube amp. Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks!

I don't have any experience with Fender Pro Junior but would suggest you to take a look of the Fender G-Dec either 15W or 30W. (only 30W can be hooked up with a foot switch) You can play along with pre-set beats (like surf of course. :lol: ) Guitar sound is not the best but a lot fun to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jouxCPEosTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCF267KH ... re=related

At home I use DR-880 hooked up with a Hartkle Bass Amp which offers much better guitar sound.(Yes, a Bass Amp which offer great drum beats and bass sound, my guitar will go thru DR880's guitar effect not directly into Amp)

dellison

Postby dellison » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:52 pm

Dennisthe Menace wrote:
Thanks!

Duane,
1) How big is your Office Area?
2) Is the Office SEPARATE from other workers?
3) Do you own an Effects Processor? Would it be more
feasible to use the FX Pedal, being that you could use
the Headphones with it and no one could hear you, or
that does not matter???
4) The Pro Junior is a cool little amp, but very limited to
tone control, and it still might be to loud in your own
work environment. :|

Actually it's a pretty good size office with no one else in in. I wouldn't be using an effects process just the amp. Loudness could be an issue but I could keep it low though.

I have just noticed how fakey solid state amps like the marshall MG's sound compared to my Hot Rod. I am assuming that the tube pro would have the same creamy sound.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:21 pm

Well, I guess you could use it, and as long as you have the volume up, you should get that creamy tone. However, keep in mind, if you have to turn down the Vol because of it being to loud, well then, you are no better off than when you were playing the Marshall MG. That was my reasoning for maybe an FX Pedal. And I am referring to the processors which have amp modeling as well as Spkr Cab Selection, and of course, the zillions of effects. Now these Processors will DEFINITELY not give you an identical sound of a tube amp, but at least the modeling that they do use, will be a lot better than say, a Marshall MG Series.
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dellison

Postby dellison » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:23 pm

Dennisthe Menace wrote:Well, I guess you could use it, and as long as you have the volume up, you should get that creamy tone. However, keep in mind, if you have to turn down the Vol because of it being to loud, well then, you are no better off than when you were playing the Marshall MG. That was my reasoning for maybe an FX Pedal. And I am referring to the processors which have amp modeling as well as Spkr Cab Selection, and of course, the zillions of effects. Now these Processors will DEFINITELY not give you an identical sound of a tube amp, but at least the modeling that they do use, will be a lot better than say, a Marshall MG Series.

Good point! Thanks for the ideas!

jtr654
Top Producer

Postby jtr654 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:49 am

It's a great little amp I have a Tweed. You don't need alot of controls on this amp because its impossible to get a bad tone out of it.Record wonderfully, great cleans ,creamy overdriven sounds.

thunderhead
Top Producer

Postby thunderhead » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:30 pm

I played Live through two Pro Jr.s for years. It was a great stereo rig that was perfect in Clubs. Small and easy to haul all tube with simple layout. I ran mine stereo out of a Visual Sound H2O. I set one set a little behind the other through the delay and the other I ran through a Fender Reverb Unit, Big Sound from small Amps.
Click on logo to visit website

Walter Broes

Postby Walter Broes » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:42 pm

Wouldn't recommend it for an office amp - I think they're great sounding little amps, but I think they're way too loud for what you're wanting to do with it. I'd look for a single ended (single power tube) amp like a Champ if I were you, and even those are suprisingly loud.

midwestsurfer

Postby midwestsurfer » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:07 pm

I think that the Vox AC4TV is a great little tube amp for the money ($250 at most on-line retailers), if your a fan of the Vox sound. It has three power modes (4, 1 and 1/4 watt) and a 10" speaker. If you're interested, check out: http://www.voxamps.com/us/modernclassic/ac4tv/

I'd discourage you against getting the Fender Champion 600 because the 6" speaker just doesn't cut it. I have one and find the tiny speaker and the lack of a tone control to be quite limiting.

If you really want the Fender tube sound in a small package, you might want to check out the Vibro Champ XD. It's a small (5 watt, 8" speaker) and inexpensive ($200 on-line) way to get the Fender sound in a small, usable package. Plus it has on-board effects if that sort of thing interests you. You can check it out here: http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... 2331000000

I hope this helps somewhat. Good luck!
Nick

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”