Bringing an ORIGINAL 1964 Fender Mustang back to life

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Re: Bringing an ORIGINAL 1964 Fender Mustang back to life

Postby oipunkguy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:01 am

more pics, the TV yellow LP is another guitar I refinished, along with reglueing the neck after a "who" moment... :shock:

Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

64sunburst
Top Producer

Postby 64sunburst » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:56 am

The Mustang looks real good - great refin job! I'll refer to this post if I ever decide to tackle a job like that. Oh, and you're better lookin' than Steve Jones. :lol: But I confess to being a Pistols fan. Saw their last concert in San Francisco in '78. What a spectacle.

Byron

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:05 am

Great job on the refin ... especially with white being such a difficult color to get right. It really pops!

Dennis

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:47 am

The Mustang looks real good - great refin job! I'll refer to this post if I ever decide to tackle a job like that. Oh, and you're better lookin' than Steve Jones. :lol: But I confess to being a Pistols fan. Saw their last concert in San Francisco in '78. What a spectacle.

now that's a show I wish I could have seen. its a true moment in punk rock history
Cheers,
Aaron

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:52 am

Great job on the refin ... especially with white being such a difficult color to get right. It really pops!

thanks Dennis, hopefully you guys will enjoy the pics of the %( LP burst replica I'm working on now. I'll be posting it soon....
cheers,
Aaron
Cheers,
Aaron

— Mark Twain

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:32 pm

oipunkguy wrote:hey,

yes that's me. that's was a show where my band GSFU opened for the UK subs. that was in 2002, we also played a show opening for the Misfits in 2003 at Jaxx, and the place was packed that night. Maybe you saw me there.
I use to go to a ton of shows back then, after GSFU broke up I was in some other bands as well. I played guitar in a hardcore band called VPR, and did some shows up in PA, and I played bass in a band called Cheerleaders of the Apocalypse, and most recently a band called Spur.
I tried out with some other bands too, one of which was Plan 15. I'm not sure if it was you I played with, or if it was the other guy in the band. as I recall Plan 15 was a three piece, guitarist, bassist, and drummer. and if I remember right, the guitarist moved out of state with his girlfriend or wife, and I tried out in the band maybe 6 months later. I think the bassist moved to rhythm guitar (why he played guitar with 4 strings) got another bassist, and I tried out on lead. But if never worked out, I don't even remember why. I remember the guy I talked to at the music store in manassas had rad butt flame chuck taylors, and i wanted a pair like that, lol.
back then in GSFU our singer was a little out there, and i think we burn some bridges with other bands at the time, but no ever said anything to me directly about it. I guess at the time we were just young loud and snotty, lol to coin a Dead Boys CD. hope this helps.
Cheers,
Aaron

PS I'm currently working on making a 1958 Burst Les Paul Replica, that I'm gonna post on here soon. I would start it tonight, but my computer is being stupid with d/ling the pics off my camera.
my next project after that is gonna be a mosrite copy.... :P

That was me that worked at the music store with the flamed out chuck taylors and the guitarist that moved out of state with his wife. I live in IL now. We were a four piece when I left the band me (Kevin)guitar, Pete on bass and vocals, Allan on drums and John on guitar.darn all the bands you mentioned ring a very loud bell. We played Jaxx a number of times even though Jay Nedry screwed us a few times but were just happy to have a place to play. darn what a small world Aaron!

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:36 pm

are you playin in any bands now? I wanted to get another band together, but the punk scene is dead in DC right now
Cheers,
Aaron

— Mark Twain

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:37 am

No I haven't been in any bands since I left Virginia but I would love to get one started again because I miss performing so much. Yeah the DC punk scene was starting to dwindle away before I moved, people were starting to A-holes where as it used to be all about helping each other out. That just makes things harder when you don't have unity between bands.

GTSP
Top Producer

Postby GTSP » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:38 am

I stumbled onto this thread & read it. What a great job on that guitar. So, what was the owners reaction? Did he like it or what?
In order of purchase:
1) Mosrite Ranger
2) V88
3) Stereo 350
4) Hallmark II in Johnny Blue
5) Danelectro '66
6) Celebrity III
7) Hallmark Gospel
8) Serenade
9) Eastwood 300

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:48 am

yeah he was really happy with it. crazy thing is that mustang sustained like a mofo!!!! i mean seriously, it was as good as a gibson LP with sustain. I tried out a reissue 65 mustang after I put that original together, and it didn't even come close. that mustang was so fun to play, kinda wish i had one, except they are so small of a guitar, looks like i'm playing a ukulele, lol

that red melody maker belonged to the same guy, that was kinda a fun job as well.
Cheers,
Aaron

— Mark Twain

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”