Speakers for Fender 1963 Bandmaster 6G7-A amp

Hydra19
Valued Member

Speakers for Fender 1963 Bandmaster 6G7-A amp

Postby Hydra19 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:39 am

I just got a head, 1963 Fender Bandmaster 6G7-A circuit but it comes with no cab, so I need to get one. I'd prefer to have a 2x10 speaker format rather than the 2x12 this head is meant for, as it's 4ohms. So I will most likely go for a Tremolux style cabinet. Now I just need to find some 10 inch speakers for it. What kinds of speakers would most compliment this amp? The stock speakers were likely Jensens or Oxfords, alnico 12s. Has anyone had any experience with a 1x15 inch setup?

Right now, I'm going for a Jensen P10Q reissues, mainly because I want to have a classical Fender tone, or a 1x15 inch speaker instead, Has anyone had any experience with a 1x15 inch setup?

I would like to keep it portable, and have it sounding like a 1963 Bandmaster should, but without the 2x12 cab. I like 10 inch speakers, but I have never played a 15 inch, but I do love the Ventures live tones, which were probably 1x15 or 2x15 Showmans

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Speakers for Fender 1963 Bandmaster 6G7-A amp

Postby dubtrub » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:23 pm

I have a pair of virtually brand new 8 ohm for10" Ragin Cajun speakers for sale. They were temporarily installed in my Vibroverb and have about three hours of studio time on them. They will ship in original packaging. Location Bakersfield Ca. $120 for the pair shipped.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... fgodjXoAlQ
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Congratulations - brown Bandmasters are great amps! It'll sound like a brown Fender regardless of what speakers you use. Ragin Cajuns like Dubtrub has are among the best for 10" speakers. Personally I'm fond of the single 15" setup for the low end clarity at high volume, but 10s are particularly well suited for breakup at tolerable levels. You should also consider whether you want a closed back or open back cabinet.

By the way, turning up the presence control does wonders for Mosrites so make sure to play around with that.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:07 am

thanks for the reply!
I am more interested in the 15 inch sound, but I'll also want to use this amp at moderate volumes, for which I'll probably get an attenuator of some type, I am also planning on getting the Kemper Profiling amp, and will take a profile of my amp.

I'm not sure i can make a decision between 2x10 and 1x15 without hearing them, but I am thinking it's better to get the single speaker setup first, and see how I like it. If it doesn't work for me, I'd go for 2x10, but I'm wary of that, as I know these amps were not designed with 10 inch speakers in mind.

I've ordered a Tremolux cabinet for it, with a cutout for a 15 inch speaker. It will be a multiback, so can have it closed or partially open. Can't wait to get it, I've put the trusty old Princeton for sale!

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Sat May 03, 2014 2:41 pm

seeing as the cab without the speaker would cost me almost 400 pounds, I bought this for 670, and I can use the 2x10 jensen P10Q speakers as a cab, with a bonus Vibroverb backup with bias tremolo and reverb

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Mon May 05, 2014 2:41 am

I've put 2x10" Eminence Ragin' Cajuns in my Vibrolux and love 'em! Great bang for the buck.
ATM I play a BF 1964 Bassman into a 15" tonering cab. As you are on this side of the pond, stop wasting your time looking for a Showman 1x15" cab.
Try to get your hands on an Echolette ET4 or ET40 instead. These are the EU Showman clones and come with the highly sought after JBL D130F.
Actually they are exactly the same as the Showman cabs. But beware: these are for clean tones only and they don't handle overdrive/distortion well.
If you need a more flexible setup I'd go for the 2x10" Ragin Cajun cab.
And congrats on the amp. Was that the one from the vintage dealer in Germany/Oldenburg?

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”