Chase an original or buy the Kemper profile?

Hydra19
Valued Member

Chase an original or buy the Kemper profile?

Postby Hydra19 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:41 am

I love the Ventures, from their Nokie Showman tones all the way to the first album, but the 'Surfin' album has special guitar tones, pulsating vibrato, and some of Bob Bogle's tastiest playing. It definately sounds like thick, flatwounds on a Jazzmaster. But what amp do you think was used? This isn't the Walk Don't Run session, with a Gibson GA-40 and a Vibrolux.

What amp does the 'Surfin' album sound like to you? Brownface?

I have a Fender PRRI which is good enough, and a Yamaha THR10C for home use and now would like to get an amp that has that pulsating, dry tone. The PRRI isn't too pulsating and the tone is cleaner, thinner, and slicker than what I hear on Surfin.

I am expecting a bonus and as a great treat after buying my first Mosrite for Christmas would be an appropriate amp. I want something brownfaced, and would have gone for original if they weren't so loud. The other option is to get a Kemper Profiling amp and get all the profiles of the brownfaced amps. Which would be the better option in your opinion? Tone is subjective and I'm actually more easy going than I sound but have had this problem for a while - kemper or a real amp? I believe the Kemper's digitalness wouldn't bother me too much. Thanks!

FritzCat
Top Producer

Re: Chase an original or buy the Kemper profile?

Postby FritzCat » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:33 am

For the same price as the Kemper (probably a little less) you can get one of these. In either case you'll still need a speaker cabinet.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:10 pm

I am not a fan of modeling amps, but gosh darn if those Kempers aren't pretty badass. I'd get one, walk into a guitar center, and steal the essence of every amp in there.

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:36 pm

+1 to what Fritz said. I'd get a decent vintage amp or a clone. Don't go digital. :o

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:44 am

thanks, those luxetones look great! While I was in the states I checked Craigslist and they had some original Bandmasters in there at decent prices. The problem is that I live in the UK and hauling all that stuff wouldn't be worth, the British tax as much as they can....luckily they didn't get my Mosrite :)

My main thing for the Kemper is low volume playing and versatility. The other side of my Ventures obsession is a similar obsession with hard rock, Les Pauls, GNR and Neil Young. I used to be in a GNR cover band as well so having all those Marshall profiles would be great. I used to have a JCM800 that was somehow quiter on 2 than the Princeton.
The argument against the Kemper is that I'm sure I'd sell it after a year or two, and go about getting the amps whose profiles I liked in the Kemper....but a blonde bandmaster would be great, I guess with an attenuator it'll be usable in the home as well.

I'd need a cab for the Kemper anyway, but think I may prefer 2 x 10 speakers rather than a 12 inch speaker, a 15 inch JBL is not an option :(

Another option is to sell the princeton, buy a blonde amp with a cab, and an attenuator, got a bunch of pedals for OD tones....man, I love guitars and gear......thanks for your advices, I've only heard good things about the Kemper but am worried where will it be in 20 years? An original 60's Fender would definately still be around and worth a bit more!

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:35 am

Luxtone is out, they don't ship to Europe. This is the whole problem, all this stuff is in the States, and if they do ship the UK will add 30% tax to the value no matter what you do, so for us, these kind of things are always going to be at leat 40% more expensive, ruining the value. Might just have to go with a Kemper until my next trip to the states.

I've been reading reviews about Bare Knuckle pickups and a lot of Americans say they're not worth the money precisely as you have to pay for extra shipping, but at least the Americans are more reasonable about tax.

Kemper it is, unless I can find a Fender Vibrolux CVR and mod it back to Vibroverb specs

SanchoPansen
Top Producer

Postby SanchoPansen » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:58 am

Hydra19 wrote:Fender Vibrolux CVR and mod it back to Vibroverb specs

That's exactly what I have and I love it! The Moyer Mod wasn't expensive and the amp sounds great.

vjf1968
Top Producer

Postby vjf1968 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:45 am

Since your in the UK, have you looked at the Award Sessions Blues Baby? http://www.award-session.com/bluesbaby.html

All you need to do is buy a cab that fits the unit or have one custom built to spec. It would be way cheaper and it is Stewart Ward who designed it. If there is anyone can make people rethink Solid State it's Stewart Ward.

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:33 am

i have been looking for builders in the UK but don't want to get too far off track.
Right now I'm debating between a CVR modded to Vibroverb specs, or get the kit from Tube Amp Doctor in Germany, which would be probably as good. 3rd option is finding a good priced Bandmaster Head in the States and buying that, then I can get a cab locally

reverserite

Postby reverserite » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:37 pm

A very affordable and efficient alternative : keep your Princeton Reverb and buy an EH Nano Pulsar tremolo. I have both, and I suggest you to have a try before going further...

A+!

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”