Super Reverb

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Super Reverb

Postby Haole Jim » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Pondering for quite some time, on divesting some stuff and parting with some cash and purchasing a Fender '65 Reissue Super Reverb-Amp.

As it was "made" for the Stratocaster, success and joy with a Mosrite seems a reasonable extrapolation. Intent is an "all around, go-to daily " for surf, jazz, lite blues, lounge, old C-W, folk rock. Seeing as the SR was basically a '59 Bassman with reverb and tremolo in black or silverface...expectation seems reasonable.

Thoughts? Experiences? Negatives? Issues? Raves?

Thank you.

panther
Top Producer

Re: Super Reverb

Postby panther » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:57 pm

Might I suggest, a VOX VT20+. Stuffed full of special effects, and it's tube 12AX7.
They sound super.
Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:35 pm

I've always loved Super Reverbs, the sound of the 10's cut through the live mix really well. Vibroluxes with 2 tens work well too. The smaller speakers don't emphasize the lower frequencies so the guitar sound won't muddy up.

I have a 1967 Super Reverb that used to be my go to amp for most things. Loud enough to play out with and not so big and heavy to hurt too badly, but as I get older I prefer carrying smaller and smaller amps.

Technically, they're a little different than the original Bassman circuit as the tone stack is plate driven instead of the Bassman cathode driven controls. Plus the added reverb and trem give it a real typical Fender black face sound.

The reissues have had a good reputation and service record. I think that they sound better after the speakers have been broken in.

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:18 am

Super Reverbs are killer amps. Killer sound, but unfortunately, they'll kill your back too! They're light only in comparison to a Marshall 4-12" cab. The 4-10" setup really brings out the best in the blackface Fender sound, but the tall cabinet (compared to a Twin) makes it top-heavy, and if you've got wheels on it, (a must with a 65 lb.+ amp), it'll tend to fall over.
It should sound great with the Mosrite. Most guitar and amp companies voiced their amps to sound good with their guitars, but it seems like Leo Fender voiced his amps to sound good with everybody's guitars. I had a '67 blackface Super Reverb back in the late-'80's-early-'90's, and if it had been a little easier to move around I'd still have it.

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”