First encounter with odd truss rod.

panther
Top Producer

First encounter with odd truss rod.

Postby panther » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:52 am

I'm setting up a Recording King acoustic guitar, and the neck needs adjusting. Problem is, I've never encountered a truss rod, that acts like this one.
Normally I will loosen the truss rod, and in a few cases, I have removed the adjusting bolt completely, to straighten out a neck. This particular truss rod, will loosen in the normal fashion, but when I attempt to remove the adjusting bolt, it tightens up again. It has a neutral spot in the middle of the adjustment, where the adjusting rod is loose, if I turn it clockwise it tightens, and if I turn it counterclockwise it goes neutral then tightens up again ?
Is there something wrong, or is this a different type Truss rod ? Is it possible, the threads at the very end, have gotten damaged from previous over tightening by the former owner ? Any suggestions on how I might remove it if that is the case.
Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Re: First encounter with odd truss rod.

Postby olrocknroller » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:12 am

Sounds like a double truss-rod to me. These have two rods, instead of the normal single rod, which can be used to add relief, or back-bow pressure to the neck. The slack space you mention is the point where neither rod is under tension, but as you turn the nut either way from that point, you are again applying tension to one, and pressure to the other rod. These rods are very effective, and make the necks very stable once set properly.
Olrocknroller

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:11 pm

Can you point me to a diagram, so I can picture how this duel set up works.
Dan

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:48 pm

panther wrote:Can you point me to a diagram, so I can picture how this duel set up works.
Dan

Go to the Stewmac website and look up their dual truss-rod. They all work in similar fashion. Here's a link...http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Adjustable_truss_rods/Hot_Rod_Truss_Rods.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=146&tgtiid=0975
Olrocknroller

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:21 am

Is this a modern guitar or a vintage one? Dual action truss rods weren't used until the 1980's.

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:12 pm

Bill, it's a fairly new recording King 12 string. (9) actually. It sound great, but not really very heavy built. The problem is that the areas I feel are under built, would really not have added much, if any cost to the instrument, if done beefier in the beginning.
Dan

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”