Fender Jaguar 'Thinline'

vibramute
Top Producer

Fender Jaguar 'Thinline'

Postby vibramute » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:36 pm

I stopped into Banjo Mart (Guitar Center) this evening since I had a 15% coupon and needed a few accessories.

I had a chance to demo the new Fender Excelsior 13 watt amp, it sounds reeeeeally good for $299 and looks completely like a mid-late 50's combo out of a Sears catalogue. I had a severe moment of GAS but it subsided when I realized the purchase would set me back from getting a Tone King Imperial by the end of summer.

The amp was nice for the money...but what completely blew me away was this striking MIJ Fender Jaguar 'Thinline":

I loved everything about it (except the $1499 price tag), and that says a lot since I'm not a big Jaguar fan. The typical surfy Jag tones were mostly obtainable, but the hollowbody definitely added some uniqueness and the instrument had resonance that I've never heard out of a Jaguar (which tend to be 'plunky' to my ears). If they had a Jazzmaster 'Thinline' with the same cosmetics it would have been very difficult for me not to pull out my Visa (are you listening Fender?! ;) ).

Gary67

Re: Fender Jaguar 'Thinline'

Postby Gary67 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:23 am

Did you get the Tone King Imperial by the end of summer?
How is it if you did?
Looks like a great amp!

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:13 am

I agree, vibramute! I think they should have put a tortoiseshell pickguard and block inlays on that, but it still looks great. If they'd do a thinline Jazzmaster, that would really be cool. I'll take mine in White Blonde with tortoise binding and pickguard, please...

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:02 am

I just picked up a Squier Jazzmaster, and have to say, I am amazed at the playability and tone. Fender is really taking a hard lick at the other budget guitar makers with their 2012 lineup! If you're a heavy picker, you may have to deepen the slots in the bridge, but other than that, Fender has refined a lot of the Jazzmaster quirks without taking away the tone... The"Thinline" is obviously a beautiful instrument, but this Squier is a nice alternative at a budget price.
Olrocknroller

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”