Vintage Ampeg Gemini I & II

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Vintage Ampeg Gemini I & II

Postby Desert Surfer » Tue May 01, 2012 5:40 am

Recently I have been bitten by a jazz bug and just picked up a Hofner Verythin John Stowell Jazz guitar in violin finish from a local seller on Chicago Craigslist. It is so easy to play and sounds great.

The seller also has two 60's Ampeg Gemini I & II amps for sale. I have too many vintage and new amps and am not looking for another one. But you guys may be interested in these vintage Ampeg amps.

Here are the links:

Ampeg Gemini amps:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/msg/2982865492.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/msg/2975746912.html

:)

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Vintage Ampeg Gemini I & II

Postby dubtrub » Tue May 01, 2012 8:10 am

That's a beauty!
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Tue May 01, 2012 9:57 am

Congrats on the Verythin. Beautiful guitars.

Ampeg Geminis are great amps. I've got a I which I've loaded with a JBL D-130. What a sound! As I understand it, the I has slightly lower output than the II-VI models (25W v. 30W). Best reverb I've heard in a combo amp.
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Tue May 01, 2012 10:30 am

Now that is one beautiful guitar! :mrgreen:
Olrocknroller

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue May 01, 2012 10:39 am

That's one gorgeous instrument Vincent! Is that a solid Rosewood tailpiece on her?
Because if you take a second look at her, she then looks like it's Ebony......?
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Tue May 01, 2012 10:44 am

dubtrub wrote:That's a beauty!

olrocknroller wrote:Now that is one beautiful guitar! :mrgreen:

Dennisthe Menace wrote:That's one gorgeous instrument Vincent! Is that a solid Rosewood tailpiece on her?
Because if you take a second look at her, she then looks like it's Ebony......?

Thanks, Danny. olrocknroller & Dennis:

The name "Verythin" says it right, it is thinner than ES335 and is light like feather.

The Clear Contour electronic circuitry is quite unique, with the roll of the tone knob, it can simulate the sound of nearly-silent single-coil or humbucker pickups.

It looks like a full hollow body from outside, but it has a solid spruce sustain wood block in the middle like ES335 to reduce the feedback.

The Germany craftsmanship is quite amazing. It has the simplicity but with carefully crafted details.

Dennis, you are right. It's ebony. The bridge, tailpiece, pickguard and even tuner heads are all made of ebony.

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Tue May 01, 2012 10:58 am

MWaldorf wrote:Congrats on the Verythin. Beautiful guitars.

Ampeg Geminis are great amps. I've got a I which I've loaded with a JBL D-130. What a sound! As I understand it, the I has slightly lower output than the II-VI models (25W v. 30W). Best reverb I've heard in a combo amp.

Thanks, Mel.

I have heard a lot good things about vintage Ampeg amps.

I did not try these Ampegs as I am afraid if I tried them I would have been hooked. I already have vintage Bandmaster, Twin Reverb, Mosrite & Standel amps (all 60's) and can't bring any more vintage amp home.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue May 01, 2012 11:26 am

Congrats, Vincent! A very elegant piece in all it's simplicity. One needn't even be 'jazz oriented' to appreciate such a beautiful object 8-)
My very first electric guitar was a red 1962 Höfner Strat copy (model 172) that I bought in 1962 on downpayment, LOL.
I (foolishly) traded her in for a Fender Strat in 1973...not so LOL :roll:

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Tue May 01, 2012 11:49 am

Veenture wrote:Congrats, Vincent! A very elegant piece in all it's simplicity. One needn't even be 'jazz oriented' to appreciate such a beautiful object 8-)
My very first electric guitar was a red 1962 Höfner Strat copy (model 172) that I bought in 1962 on downpayment, LOL.
I (foolishly) traded her in for a Fender Strat in 1973...not so LOL :roll:

Thanks, Paul.

Yeah, we have all made a few mistakes buying and selling guitars. I have made tons of them.

bumblebeetwist

Postby bumblebeetwist » Tue May 01, 2012 11:57 am

Vint Ampegs sound amazing...its a revelation to get into them if you are used to Fenders..."my guitar sounds like that?!?"

Spent rehearsal last night playing instrumental and surf tunes onna Mosrite Maphis thru a '66 Reverberocket II. Far less hi-fi and crisp definition than a Fender but *deep*, mysterious, and the reverb is downright dangerous-sounding. It's been tough deciding which setup I like more, YMMV but for me it can be a tough choice between those two worlds...depends on mood.

The Gemini has the Baxandall tone circuit (Reverberockets and the lower models dont), which would make it even more unlike a Fender, my understanding is that tone circuit is quite interactive, possibly more like navigating thru a Vox AC-30 tonestack. A friend of mine has a Gemini with a 15" and it sounds wonderful.

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”