Gretsch + Quilter + Digitech Whammy = Bluegrass Stairway

Nokie
Top Producer

Gretsch + Quilter + Digitech Whammy = Bluegrass Stairway

Postby Nokie » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:11 pm

I just worked up a solo arrangement of "Stairway to Heaven" on my spiffy new Gretsch 6122 12 string electric. I put it through a Quilter MicroPro 200 (a super amazing amp!) and used a bit of chorusing from a Digitech DT Whammy pedal. -Marty

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: Gretsch + Quilter + Digitech Whammy = Bluegrass Stairway

Postby Veenture » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:21 am

Amazing playing Marty, you sound like more than just one guitar playing 8-) (and not just because of 6 extra strings!) :o
BTW, does playing 12 strings require lots more pressure from your (left) playing hand? I've never tried a 12 myself :?

mrmomo

Postby mrmomo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:55 am

Veenture wrote:Amazing playing Marty, you sound like more than just one guitar playing 8-) (and not just because of 6 extra strings!) :o

Stellar playing, Marty! I could definitely use some finger picking lessons!

I love your interpretation. Well done. :D

I never heard of quilter amps, so I went to their site. A lot of power for a small amp! Gen 3 technology seems kind of like a turbocharged big block in a compact car! ;)
Great wide range of tones and sounds.

-John
John Drysdale | Surf Guitarist - Mentor - Instructor | John Drysdale Music
Web Sites: http://www.johndrysdalesurfguitar.com | http://www.johndrysdalemusic.com

MOSDAN
Top Producer

Postby MOSDAN » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:14 am

Great playing Marty and you have a guitar that's loaded with coolness. Great finger picking also. Cool little amp-it kind of goes with the bare feet.

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:08 pm

mrmomo wrote:
Veenture wrote:Amazing playing Marty, you sound like more than just one guitar playing 8-) (and not just because of 6 extra strings!) :o

Stellar playing, Marty! I could definitely use some finger picking lessons!

I love your interpretation. Well done. :D

I never heard of quilter amps, so I went to their site. A lot of power for a small amp! Gen 3 technology seems kind of like a turbocharged big block in a compact car! ;)
Great wide range of tones and sounds.

-John

Thanks John. Yes, the power from that Quilter amp is unreal. I first played one when Matt Quilter brought a prototype to one of the So Cal surf shows. Paul Johnson came up and took over the Showman I was using and I switched to this little amp. It had power and full range that easily kept up with the Showman. it was hard to believe all that sound was coming from 200 transister watts through an 8" speaker. They are pricey though at 900 clams. -Marty

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:09 pm

MOSDAN wrote:Great playing Marty and you have a guitar that's loaded with coolness. Great finger picking also. Cool little amp-it kind of goes with the bare feet.

Thanks, I probably shoulda cut my toe nails! eeeeghgh.

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:13 am

Wow! That's impressive! You've got some killer fingerpicking chops--love the arrangement too. The Gretsch sounds great--I've never tried their 12-string, but it looks and sounds like the neck is wide enough to be usable. That Quilter amp sounds terrific! Are you using the limiter function on that? I've been real curious about that amp--haven't found one to try yet, but I want to.

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:13 pm

jfine wrote:Wow! That's impressive! You've got some killer fingerpicking chops--love the arrangement too. The Gretsch sounds great--I've never tried their 12-string, but it looks and sounds like the neck is wide enough to be usable. That Quilter amp sounds terrific! Are you using the limiter function on that? I've been real curious about that amp--haven't found one to try yet, but I want to.

Thanks! Yes, the neck has what I call "luxury width". Ya gotta have it on 12-stringer. Thankfully, the Mosrite Ventures Model XII's also have extra width.

I do believe the limiter was engaged on the Quilter Amp. It sounds like it as I hear compression but I wasn't using a pedal compressor. The only dials I paid attention to were the gain, gain-boost, and volumes. I set them for as clean a sound. The amp probably doesn't have great distribution for trying out, especially if your not in So Cal. I haven't seen it at Guitar Center or Sam Ash yet.
-Marty

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”