the best matching amplifier

brunob

the best matching amplifier

Postby brunob » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:45 am

which one are the best 4 you?
mean about the new product line,I red about the new custom vibrolux,isn't that good?

MOSDAN
Top Producer

Re: the best matching amplifier

Postby MOSDAN » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:34 pm

Brunob-I use a 1972 Silver Face Twin Reverb with a 15" Electro Voice speaker that is run with a split signal going to a 1963 Vibroverb. The signal is split at my pedal board. Sometimes instead of the Vibroverb I will us a Dr. Z Maz 38. This setup works great and will give any sound I want because the 15" EV can carry lows so well and still sounds great with mids and highs. The Vibroverb and Dr. Z give a real tight compressed sound with strong emphasis towards the mids. The Mosrites sound great on this setup. I know these are not of the new product line but I haven't found any of the new product lines give the sound of the old tube amps. Just my opinion.

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:45 am

MOSDAN wrote:Brunob-I use a 1972 Silver Face Twin Reverb with a 15" Electro Voice speaker that is run with a split signal going to a 1963 Vibroverb. The signal is split at my pedal board. Sometimes instead of the Vibroverb I will us a Dr. Z Maz 38. This setup works great and will give any sound I want because the 15" EV can carry lows so well and still sounds great with mids and highs. The Vibroverb and Dr. Z give a real tight compressed sound with strong emphasis towards the mids. The Mosrites sound great on this setup. I know these are not of the new product line but I haven't found any of the new product lines give the sound of the old tube amps. Just my opinion.

I like the idea of a 15 in that '72 Twin. Were you able to fit the 15 in the standard two 12 cabinet? ~ Marty

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:53 am

I match my Mosrites to a Fender Custom Vibrolux which is a late model tube amp with a sweet spot at 5. It has no.negative feedback loop so its very sensitive to attack. Alternatively, I use a '57 Twin reissue that is hand wired and has dual rectifier tubes. ~Marty

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:20 pm

Nokie wrote:I match my Mosrites to a Fender Custom Vibrolux which is a late model tube amp with a sweet spot at 5. It has no.negative feedback loop so its very sensitive to attack. Alternatively, I use a '57 Twin reissue that is hand wired and has dual rectifier tubes. ~Marty
I should also mention that I had great results matching Mosrites (6 & 12 string) to a Quilter MicroPro 200 at a performance last December. We covered surf tunes and the complete Ventures Christmas album. I've posted it elsewhere on this forum so I won't repost the videos here but they are on youtube. That little amp puts out an astonishing amount of full range sound with punchy bottom as well as clean highs. -Marty

MOSDAN
Top Producer

Postby MOSDAN » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:40 pm

Nokie,
This amp came as a custom build from Fender years ago with a 15" JBL D130F speaker. I could hear, after a period of time, the JBL was getting somewhat fragile so I replaced it with the Electro-Voice and retired the JBL. The JBL is still usable but in itself is now worth mucho dollars so I am just letting it gain in value in safe storage. The Electro-Voice is a 600 watt early speaker so I have lots of headroom if needed. I bought this amp years ago to use with steel guitar and I found I can run anything through it and it sounds great. Bass can even run through it and it still sounds great. Fender is now making a 65 Twin Custom Reissue with a 15" Eminence speaker. This is the amp that Cindy Cashdollar uses for steel and she really can make it sing.

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:14 pm

MOSDAN wrote:Nokie,
This amp came as a custom build from Fender years ago with a 15" JBL D130F speaker. I could hear, after a period of time, the JBL was getting somewhat fragile so I replaced it with the Electro-Voice and retired the JBL. The JBL is still usable but in itself is now worth mucho dollars so I am just letting it gain in value in safe storage. The Electro-Voice is a 600 watt early speaker so I have lots of headroom if needed. I bought this amp years ago to use with steel guitar and I found I can run anything through it and it sounds great. Bass can even run through it and it still sounds great. Fender is now making a 65 Twin Custom Reissue with a 15" Eminence speaker. This is the amp that Cindy Cashdollar uses for steel and she really can make it sing.

Ah, very good. I didn't know that Fender made an earlier version of the Twin with a 15" speaker. I know of the modern version and it's a great idea. -Marty

MOSDAN
Top Producer

Postby MOSDAN » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:33 pm

Nokie- Actually in 1972 Fender did not make a Twin Reverb with a 15 inch speaker but as I said in my post my amp is a custom build. Many years ago I had a friend that worked for Fender who was a personal friend of Leo Fender and he was able to get the special build for me. My friend has passed on and is dearly missed. I guess you could say my amp is a protoytpe to the Twin that exists today with a 15 inch speaker. It's probably the best amp I have ever played through, however, it weighs a ton. Thank God for the casters it came with!

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:18 pm

MOSDAN wrote:Nokie- Actually in 1972 Fender did not make a Twin Reverb with a 15 inch speaker but as I said in my post my amp is a custom build. Many years ago I had a friend that worked for Fender who was a personal friend of Leo Fender and he was able to get the special build for me. My friend has passed on and is dearly missed. I guess you could say my amp is a protoytpe to the Twin that exists today with a 15 inch speaker. It's probably the best amp I have ever played through, however, it weighs a ton. Thank God for the casters it came with!

Yeah, I really think the 15" speaker is the way to go with a twin. I'm gonna have to find a cabinet such as your custom build in which to fit a 15" speaker and the twin head. Those D130's are the best.
-Marty

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:05 pm

Using an old Fender Cyber-Twin with the Mosrite on "Vibrolux" setting (mimicing 2-10" speakers) came out too bright for this liking. The powerful Mo pickups seem to call for robust speakers like 2 or 4 12s or a 15.

Only an opinion.

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”