Adjusting neck relief

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Adjusting neck relief

Postby olrocknroller » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:49 am

Am I doing something wrong? I have had my HitchHikers with me this winter in Yuma, and in summer they are in Saskatchewan, at least as dry a climate as here, yet every 6 weeks or so, the necks on these guitars have moved enough that I need to adjust the neck relief! I bring them to my desired amount of relief, about .004" at the 9th fret, and one time they'll back-bow, and the other, they'll go as high as .012"... Are these guitars that touchy, or am I just too fussy? :roll:
Olrocknroller

mark1
Top Producer

Re: Adjusting neck relief

Postby mark1 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:06 pm

Are you adjusting the rod to much at once? By that I mean it should be moved a little each day to allow time for it to settle.Other wise you will get the setting you want untill it settles way over or way under.

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:05 pm

mark1 wrote:Are you adjusting the rod to much at once? By that I mean it should be moved a little each day to allow time for it to settle.Other wise you will get the setting you want untill it settles way over or way under.

I never go over 1/4 turn, usually 1/8 brings it into alignment...I'm wondering whether this truss rod has a real coarse thread, and should be adjusted even less than this... :?
Olrocknroller

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:05 am

if you use a heavy gauge, or if you have to adjust a bass neck for example it's more fussy then a guitar with a string gauge thats is lower in tension. neck construction is another factor, gennerally muilti piece necks stay more stable then a one piece. weather changes also affect a neck. I have to readjust my p bass necks every 6 months for this reason sometimes more often. some of my les pauls were very fussy brand new, but once the neck got in a good spot and stayed there, the problem went away. all you can really do is keep adjusting and sticking with it. it should fix itself eventually. once in a while I'll clamp down a metal straight edge to a neck for several days to quote "retrain" the wood. but dont ever do it unless the truss rod is completely loose, and i wouldnt recomemend doing it unless you are really comfortable with it. not for beginners in the luthiering trade.
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:42 pm

oipunkguy wrote:if you use a heavy gauge, or if you have to adjust a bass neck for example it's more fussy then a guitar with a string gauge thats is lower in tension. neck construction is another factor, gennerally muilti piece necks stay more stable then a one piece. weather changes also affect a neck. I have to readjust my p bass necks every 6 months for this reason sometimes more often. some of my les pauls were very fussy brand new, but once the neck got in a good spot and stayed there, the problem went away. all you can really do is keep adjusting and sticking with it. it should fix itself eventually. once in a while I'll clamp down a metal straight edge to a neck for several days to quote "retrain" the wood. but dont ever do it unless the truss rod is completely loose, and i wouldnt recomemend doing it unless you are really comfortable with it. not for beginners in the luthiering trade.

Beginner...that definitely fits my description. :lol: I'll stick with the micro-adjusting routine, and the 10-46 strings until things settle. I've used dual rod truss rods in all the guitars I've built, and find they stay put nicely; then, of course there's Hagstroms...I haven't had one of them move appreciably yet! I have a 1967 Hagstrom that I bought new, and the neck hasn't needed adjustment in that entire time!
Olrocknroller

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Beginner...that definitely fits my description

my apologies I didn't mean to mock you ol, I'm just making a general statement for others to read
Cheers,
Aaron

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:47 am

oipunkguy wrote:
Beginner...that definitely fits my description

my apologies I didn't mean to mock you ol, I'm just making a general statement for others to read

No offense taken...I believe that if the shoe fits, wear it, and be happy you have one! I thoroughly enjoy tinkering on guitars, and this forum has been valuable in helping me avoid some disasters!
Olrocknroller

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Postby oipunkguy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:38 pm

myself as well and I'm a professional! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers,
Aaron

— Mark Twain

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”