More video fun - "Tri-Armond" Gretsch

MWaldorf
Site Admin

More video fun - "Tri-Armond" Gretsch

Postby MWaldorf » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:03 am

I've got a '61 Gretsch Anniversary that's been modded through the years to it's current format of three Dynasonic pickups. (What! Mel with a guitar with three pickups?!?)

Thought some here might be interested in this video I made running through the pickup selections:

Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

MOSDAN
Top Producer

Re: More video fun - "Tri-Armond" Gretsch

Postby MOSDAN » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:25 pm

MWaldorf,
You have some of the coolest 3 pickup guitars. The Gretches carry so much great old vibe and you just make it sound better with your modifications. The amp sounds great too. Great Job!!!!

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:51 pm

Hey, Mel!

Another classic! My favorite sound, though all are great, was with all three pickups at once. Very complex tone.

Also, I'll have to tell Don, our lead-guitar player about the accordion input and "Polka Rules!" Don plays baritone sax in a local polka band.

Also, Don is the guy who hipped me to old tube Ampeg amps and he has a super-clean Jet J-12 beauty from about 1961. He offered it to me for $200, but I couldn't feel right taking advantage of his kindness, and it was while searching for a similar tube amp on eBay that I lucked into that '66 Tremolux of mine.

Great video; please keep them coming. Don''t you have some Fender Jaguars or Jazzmasters? There was some recent allusions to their sounds on this forum and I'd love to hear yours, if you still have them. I've never seen or heard either guitars in person.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:35 pm

Thanks guys!

I agree, on this guitar the all-on tone is particularly good - not really a "quack", but definitely ducky.

Ampegs are great - I was lucky enough to stumble on a '67 Reverberocket in college and it really stuck with me. I like the Gemini I as it's got a bit more power and headroom. Too bad Ampeg didn't really make high powered amps until later - I know there was the B-12XT at 50W but they're rare and *heavy*!

I've got more video demos in mind, and my trusty old Jazzmaster will no doubt make an appearance soon. :)
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Mel wrote:
>>'ve got more video demos in mind . . .

Well, HURRY UP!!! :lol:

>>Too bad Ampeg didn't really make high powered amps until later . . .

I seem to recall reading or hearing that the gentleman who ran Ampeg in those days didn't like rock 'n' roll and didn't like his amps being used at high volumes!

Isn't that a hoot? Ampeg tube amps have a very pleasing voice, and the Mosrites and Hallmarks I have sound really nice through that Jet J-12. I play rhythm and fills, though; not much in the way of lead.

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:37 pm

Hey Mel....D.E. RULES!!!!....So does POLKA!!!! :shock: ......... :lol: .....Loved it!!... ;) .
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:13 pm

Another great video, Mel. This is my introduction to the Gretsch Single Anniversary. I hadn't heard of it before. Searching on line, I see that some had the Filtertron pickup. Keep the guitar demos comin'! -Marty

PS - Hows the binding holding up on that old Gretsch? I just read the post about the Monkees model someone is considering but the neck binding is not good. I also have an older Gretsch where the body binding has shrunk.

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:35 pm

Marty,

1958 - 1960 Anniversary models came with filtertrons. In 1961 they got hilotrons and became significantly less desirable guitars. This particular one has gone through a number of iterations with the previous owner - it came to me with a hilotron at the neck, dynasonic in the middle and filtertron at the bridge. The dynasonic wildly overpowered the other two pickups, so out they came and in went the two TVJones dynas.

The binding issue on Gretsches seems to be more a problem for mid to late 60s models. This one has no binding issues at all, though it did need the typical Gretsch neck reset. With the reset done it became a really great player.

Mel

PS. how'd you like the neck/middle and middle/bridge sounds? With your eyes closed you'd think it was a Strat, right? :)

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:26 am

A very good but also entertaining demo, Mel :) Your mods nail that iconic sound of 'Mr. Guitar Man'
You'd better hold on tight to this Gretsch in case Mr. DE pays you an unexpected visit ;)
I also dig that kewl looking Hawaiin surf shirt you're wearing, dude!

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:22 am

MWaldorf wrote:Marty,

1958 - 1960 Anniversary models came with filtertrons. In 1961 they got hilotrons and became significantly less desirable guitars. This particular one has gone through a number of iterations with the previous owner - it came to me with a hilotron at the neck, dynasonic in the middle and filtertron at the bridge. The dynasonic wildly overpowered the other two pickups, so out they came and in went the two TVJones dynas.

The binding issue on Gretsches seems to be more a problem for mid to late 60s models. This one has no binding issues at all, though it did need the typical Gretsch neck reset. With the reset done it became a really great player.

Mel

PS. how'd you like the neck/middle and middle/bridge sounds? With your eyes closed you'd think it was a Strat, right? :)

Well that 'splains my binding problem. Mine is definitely latter day. I'd not heard of the hilotrons but they look very cool and sound nice. I liked all the sounds you were getting but especially the DE tones. -MT

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”