The Olav Overdrive

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

The Olav Overdrive

Postby Sarah93003 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:52 am

Olav has the distinction of ordering the very first Mercury Overdrive pedal. It will be Prototype #2 as I plan to add a couple of features that were not on my original build.

So, here is the candidate ready for an extreme makeover. It is a 1:24 scale Jada model with fully functional doors, hood, and trunk.

To make room for everything the engine was removed from under the hood compartment. This area will house the two potentiometers for "Drive" and "Level", as well as the 9 volt battery connector and AC input jack mounted into the grill. The seats were removed to make room for the circuit board and wiring. The trunk had a chrome tank mounted in it. This was removed to make room for the switch mounting bracket, the spring, and two rear potentiometers. One pot will be for "Tone" and the other is a dummy pot.

Right away I noticed that the trunk did not open and close smoothly. There was a little "catch" which caused it to sort of snap shut. I didn't think that would work out very well as the spring might not have enough strength to return the trunk lid to it's resting position. So I had to disassemble the trunk lid and figure out what was causing it to stick. I determined that the two little dog legs that create the hinge effect were slightly different and one of them was not truly round. This made it so it did not rotate properly under the mounting surface. So, with a little baby file I kept working at it until it was round and would rotate smoothly. This is marked by the blue line below.

This is the AC input jack that will get mounted into the grill. I like that it is small and chrome so it looks good once it is all together mounted into the chrome grill.

Everything is soldered and ready to go.

Next up was to drill the two holes into the side of the body where the input and output jack will be mounted. This is probably the scariest part of the build because I couldn't really hold the car in a vice without causing damage. So, I have to hold it with my left hand keeping it square to the drill press and I drill down with my right hand. As soon as the drill punches through of course it grabs into the metal and it climbs up the drill bit. No harm done just kinda scary when you're holding onto it.

Next up will be to drill out the holes for the axles in the chasis to accept the shafts of the potentiometers. Even though there are lights on the model they are not meant for light to pass through. They have silver plating which will have to be sanded off. Then I think I'll drill a small hole into the bubble on the roof to glue in a tiny LED light. I also want to run two lights to the rear so they can be seen when power is on.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Olav
Top Producer

Re: The Olav Overdrive

Postby Olav » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:08 am

make sure to turn up the volume on your 'puter for this;

va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
my guitars @ LGTf
Official Member of the GUN Guitar Owners Association
my 2011TDPRI entry

stl80
Top Producer

Postby stl80 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:38 am

This project is so cool I can hardly stand it.
Jim

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:53 am

Hey Sarah! Good to see you back on the forum. These things could go viral, you know...are you gearing up for mass production?
Olrocknroller

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:08 pm

Thank you! That video is awesome!!
1982 Fender Bullet

ludobag
Top Producer

Postby ludobag » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:31 pm

i have already see the other vraoum effect ;)
what type of overdrive it is?
vintage ,modern ,both ?
i don't ask if it is warm cause of the flame of the car :lol:

juan_10
Valued Member

Postby juan_10 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:39 pm

Looking Good Sarah ! I'm glad you have got over the extra workload/ flu and Christmas :-) It's great to see this idea progressing .. prototyping is the hardest part.

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:40 am

I cringed as I read about your hole-drilling technique! :shock: I've done it myself, with the scars to prove it! Get/make some soft-jaw inserts for your clamping system, and concentrate on feeling the bit's progress into the metal...the handle of the drill-press can tell you a lot, as can the shavings from the bit. As the bit progresses, it will begin to lift heavier shavings, especially as soon as the tip penetrates the metal. Learn to ease back on the pressure as the bit begins to penetrate through the metal. Also, for thin, and pot-metal, use a fairly high bit rotation speed

Hope that helps!
Olrocknroller

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:29 pm

olrocknroller wrote:I cringed as I read about your hole-drilling technique! :shock: I've done it myself, with the scars to prove it! Get/make some soft-jaw inserts for your clamping system, and concentrate on feeling the bit's progress into the metal...the handle of the drill-press can tell you a lot, as can the shavings from the bit. As the bit progresses, it will begin to lift heavier shavings, especially as soon as the tip penetrates the metal. Learn to ease back on the pressure as the bit begins to penetrate through the metal. Also, for thin, and pot-metal, use a fairly high bit rotation speed

Hope that helps!

You're right. To be honest I got pretty nervous as I went past 3/16". I then chucked the drill bits in my hand drill and did them that way. the 3/8" drill bit was the worst and I'm glad I did not try that one in the drill press.
1982 Fender Bullet

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:32 pm

juan_10 wrote:Looking Good Sarah ! I'm glad you have got over the extra workload/ flu and Christmas :-) It's great to see this idea progressing .. prototyping is the hardest part.

Thank you very much. The work load is just beginning to improve. It is very difficult to describe but suffice it to say I've had to put in many hours to redefin and redesign the processes where I work. To say I didn't have a life is an understatement. The past 2-3 weeks have shown great improvement as our production levels are stabilizing and people are getting into the groove. We've actually broken a few production records and achieved some notable milestones never before reached. I'm beginning to feel like I can breathe and do something beside work. I am well aware that this kind of pace is unhealthy.

I shall have an update this evening!
1982 Fender Bullet

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”