Jazzmaster build

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: Jazzmaster build

Postby Veenture » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:49 pm

olrocknroller wrote:Nice score! I have just had a sunroom added to the "Honey-do" list, so there may not be much guitar building this summer! I might end up just shopping for a Jazzmaster! 8-)

My Jazzmaster arrived today and it was like meeting an old friend...I love it! 8-)
How's your Jazzmaster itch these days, olrocknroller?

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:26 pm

Veenture wrote:
olrocknroller wrote:Nice score! I have just had a sunroom added to the "Honey-do" list, so there may not be much guitar building this summer! I might end up just shopping for a Jazzmaster! 8-)

My Jazzmaster arrived today and it was like meeting an old friend...I love it! 8-)
How's your Jazzmaster itch these days, olrocknroller?

As I suspected, the sun-room is at the top of the list, and with a hot-tub yet! :roll: I will count my coins, but think I will end up resurrecting an old offset bodied project that got sidelined last year...pics to come soon.
Olrocknroller

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:06 am

Good luck with both projects!
Should I ever encounter Jazzmaster string saddle woes (i.e. strings popping off) I might just try these:

Graph Tech TUSQ Saddle Jazzmaster

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:00 pm

Here are a few pics of the offset body project. It got shelved because the cherry wood and the glue I used reacted, turning the join GREEN! Looking at it now, I'm not so upset with the result, so will finish the project...

Once the oil has dried, and has been buffed, I will add hardware, Sperzel gold lockers, my own home-made bridge, gold strap-locks, etc. Pickups will likely be EMG HZ, since I want this one to be a sustaining screamer!
Olrocknroller

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:53 pm

Outstanding! That is looking beautiful!
Danny Ellison

ludobag
Top Producer

Postby ludobag » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:38 am

looks really good ;)

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Wed May 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Well... The Jazzmaster project is on the shelf for this summer, but I am finishing up an old project, which I adapted to use my "experimental" tectonic-plate bridge. I have roughed in the pickguard, and need to wire it up, string it up, and see if my brainchild actually works! :?

In the photos, the protective cover is still on the pickguard, because I depend on it until the last second to fend off the stupid little scratches that can so easily happen. I'll wire it, buff it and do final assembly in the next while...stand by for a final report!

Here's a photo:

Olrocknroller

vibramutant1965

Postby vibramutant1965 » Fri May 04, 2012 6:42 am

heres a low/no buck fix for this buzzing. Shim the neck so the bridge has to be raised proportionally, perhaps a credit card thickness. You may need to put new/more foam rubber under the pikups to raise them as well.

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Mon May 07, 2012 4:36 pm

Well, what with time shortages etc. etc. the build definitely only "resembles" an offset guitar, being the sum of about three projects, including the extra-slim thru-body neck, offset body, brass "tectonic" bridge, and nut. With that many compromises, I wasn't very optimistic about the end result, but on first assembly and set-up, this puppy rings, and rings, and rings! When you want a note to stop, you have to damp the strings. I am particularly taken with the tonal range, from jazzy on the neck 'bucker to ear-piercing on the back half of the bridge pup. With all the selections in-between available by combining pup combinations, this could very well become my main working axe...I'm that happy with it!

EMG passive pups sometimes don't get rave reviews, but on this combination of woods, they just about do it all... Yeah, I know, bla-bla-bla, show me the pictures... Not done buffing yet, but this is pretty much what it will look like. Hey Ludobag, want to shine up another guitar? :lol:

I'm gonna go play now! :D
Olrocknroller

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon May 07, 2012 4:39 pm

I love it! But I would have to have a vibrato. Be careful that Nokie don't talk you out of it. Nice strap too.
Danny Ellison

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”