Blackguard Telecaster

panther
Top Producer

Re: Blackguard Telecaster

Postby panther » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:43 am

Danny;
CRAP.
I have 10 cans of (2) Re-Ranch and (10) Mohawk Clear sanding sealer, and 4 cans of DEFT high gloss lacquer finish.
I did find out the hard way, that you can not BUFF Deft.

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:10 pm

Yeah, I have acquired quite a selection of aerosol cans of clear that I have no use for. I used the ReRanch paint on a surf green Jazzmaster and one can was sufficient, but then I sprayed clear Deft on it and although it polished out to a nice shine it always felt sticky. After a year or so I finally removed that finish and sprayed the old standby Ellison Custom sunburst.
Danny Ellison

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:09 am

Danny;
Great finish on both.
I have 3 guitars in various states of construction, 2 are 12 string electrics, one Strat, one Tele, I plan to paint the Strat Foam green, the Tele Coral. Then I have a Hollowbody Tele but not sure what color for that yet. I'm really glad I waited on the clear finish, I would have hated the sticky feel.

Dan

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:13 am

I do have a question about how to handle the Hollowbody Tele. It has the binding already on the body. I've watched videos where after the color is added, they take a blade and trim off the color over the binding. That has disaster written all over it. What is the alternative, masking, I've never had any luck getting clean lines ? Any suggestions. Short of removing the binding.
Dan

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:16 am

The last couple of guitars I painted I used Watco clear in the quart size and it worked great. I see they also have it in aerosol cans but I don't know how they dry. Just to be fair, I've also used Deft clear in the quart through my spray equipment and it dried fine. It must have something to do with an additive in the aerosol can that aids in the flow out.

:arrow: http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search ... %20lacquer

panther wrote:I do have a question about how to handle the Hollowbody Tele. It has the binding already on the body. I've watched videos where after the color is added, they take a blade and trim off the color over the binding. That has disaster written all over it. What is the alternative, masking, I've never had any luck getting clean lines ? Any suggestions. Short of removing the binding.
Dan

Back in the 70s I painted motorcycle helmets, fenders and gas tanks. I was shown a method for using the 1/4" and 1/8" striping tape with great success to do flames and other artwork. The surface had to be sanded perfectly smooth with no orange peel. Then apply the tape. Afterwards use a tack cloth and rub it over the tape and all along it's edges to make sure it was down tight and flat. The tack cloth removed the microscopic bits of glue protruding from the edge of the tape that would cause fuzzy edges. Spray on the color then remove the tape after about ten minutes of drying time. The idea is to remove the tape while the paint is still pliable as it will chip when removing the tape after the paint dries hard. Also you don't want to spray the color coats too thick over the tape. The thinner the color coat the better. I've used this technique on the double neck I build and it worked great.

BTW, get industrial quality striping tape at an auto paint store that supplies paint and body shops.
Danny Ellison

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:17 pm

Danny;
I take it, you only put on one coat of color, otherwise you would have to re-tape each time you sprayed ?
OR, Do you put a tack coat, then follow quickly with 2 coats or more of the color, then remove the tape after the last coat ?
Dan

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:52 pm

panther wrote: Do you put a tack coat, then follow quickly with 2 coats or more of the color, then remove the tape after the last coat ?
That's pretty much it. You have plenty of working time, you just don't want to leave the tape on for several hours. Don't try to remove the tape when the paint is wet. You want it dry to the touch but not dried hard.
Danny Ellison

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:07 pm

Thanks, Now I understand how it works.
Dan

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:25 pm

We have been experiencing very unseasonable weather since mid September. it's more like spring here, UNTIL.
I decide to spray the finish on my Guitar project. Now today it's overcast, and the humidity has taken a 20 point jump.
I was going to apply the color coat to the body. Now it will give me more time to come up with a stable, and swivel based hanger.
Anyone have a design for an adjustable fixture to hold Guitar bodies, and neck, so you can rotate them, and paint them without having to hang them by a wire, or hold them by hand.
Dan

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:30 pm

talk about a MAJOR letdown.
I sprayed the first few coats of color to the body. It says Butterscotch, but deep Amber seems more realistic. Not what I picture at all. I'm considering going to solid color. something to cover this Redwood slab I called a Telecaster. I'm very bummed and disappointed.
Dan

This is more What I was looking for. I figure about the only thing I can do is to apply another color. The Body is more what I expected for the neck.

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”