Blackguard Telecaster

dubtrub
Administrator

Blackguard Telecaster

Postby dubtrub » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:59 pm

I finally decided it was time to start working on a parts guitar that has been sitting around for a couple of years. For you Telecaster fans you'll no doubt know about the black guard Tele's. I'm using a light weight Ashe body ( I bought it from eBay 2-3 years ago, don't recall the maker) the neck is a vintage spec'd All Parts. This will be an early 50s replica so all screws will be slot head, Fender No Caster pup's, domed knobs. I'm using cloth covered wired salvaged out of an old Fender amp and I will try to make everything under the hood as close to original as possible right down to the replica waxed paper covered capacitor. Finish will be the standard butterscotch see through blonde. I just cut out the pickguard today. I was able to locate a source for sheet bakelite as that is what the original was made. It will be sprayed over with clear lacquer as were the originals. My goal is to replicate a 52-53 Telecaster.

Danny Ellison

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Re: Black guard Tele project

Postby KRamone27 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:29 pm

I'll be watching this one :D if you want to take the authenticity further put the infamous doughnut route between the neck and bridge pickup. Are you going to amber tint the neck?

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:54 pm

Infamous doughnut route? Are you referring to this comment I made above?

dubtrub wrote: I still need to rout the neck p'up channel for the wire.

Yes on the amber tint.
Danny Ellison

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Super - I love those Teles, too. Have fun, keep us in the loop.
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:08 pm

dubtrub wrote:Infamous doughnut route? Are you referring to this comment I made above?

dubtrub wrote: I still need to route the neck p'up channel for the wire.

Yes on the amber tint.

Before Leo added the wire channel diagonally from the neck pup he had the "doughnut" rout it was one of those early esquire/broadcaster features as well as the hump near the neck pocket. here's a link to what I'm talking about http://www.telecasterplanet.com/ampliad ... uts_00.jpg

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:28 pm

Yikes! I've never seen that before. I have a good size file of photos save from eBay of one Broadcaster and several pre 54 Telecasters and never seen a hole like that. I'm going to have to do some more research.
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:21 pm

Cool project Danny! What's the pickguard material? It looks really matte - is it covered in plastic, or is it the material itself?
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:56 pm

The pickguard material is called Garolite or Bakelite. I got the XX version. I read about it on another forum where a guy built a replica of a 53. This is the same basic material used in 1950 -53, It is a matt texture but was sprayed with clear lacquer. It wears and looks like crap. That's why Leo finally changed to white plastic them to nitrate. Also this material is great for making circuit board blanks. Maybe another amp on the horizon. ;)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#garolite/=fmiblk

The more I see on the internet it looks like the first Broadcaster did not have the neck pickup wire channel routed so I may leave it as is and go for the 1950 Broadcaster replica. Problem is, I already have the early style Telecaster decal.
Danny Ellison

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:19 am

Sweet!
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

Olav
Top Producer

Postby Olav » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:34 am

This is going to be very interesting to watch. I'm curious to see what you have planned for the finish. I'm currently in planning for a similar project using a pine body. I haven't decided/figured out how to do that milky yellow on the body...
va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
my guitars @ LGTf
Official Member of the GUN Guitar Owners Association
my 2011TDPRI entry

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”