50th Anniversary Fender Japan Ventures Signature Strat

vibramute
Top Producer

50th Anniversary Fender Japan Ventures Signature Strat

Postby vibramute » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:39 am

Was just wondering if any other members had one of the Japanese 50th Anniversary Ventures Strats that came out in '96? What do you think of them?

I've sort of always wanted one (big Gerry fan), but they usually went for big money from what I've seen on Ebay. One was listed last week with an extremely reasonable BIN, so I thought "what the heck?". I'm waiting anxiously for UPS to deliver it.

Seems like a fun guitar; Lance sensors, mid boost, TBX (like a Clapton Strat), gold hardware, block inlays and bound neck (love!), black burst finish. I'm mostly into 'traditional'-type guitars, but Gerry's getting pretty classic Strat tones based on the youtube vids I've seen of him using one.

Veenture
Master Contributor

Re: 50th Anniversary Fender Japan Ventures Signature Strat

Postby Veenture » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:46 am

Hey, congrats vibramute on your Ventures Strat score!
That ought to give you some consolation for that Mosrite Combo which seems to be out of reach for you at this time.

TimR
Valued Member

Postby TimR » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:32 am

I had one of those once. It was a great Strat -made in Fender's Japanese custom shop, so I was told. The only problem I had was the pickguard began to warp & lift up off the body. A very unusual finish though. The Lace sensors were pretty cool. They could be found pretty cheap shortly after they came out -I think I paid around $600.00 in about '99. Eventually traded it on a Rickenbacher 12 string. I always wanted the Jazzmaster version, as I was never really a Strat guy. Gerry can sure make one sing though...

vibramute
Top Producer

Postby vibramute » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:33 pm

Had a little time to play the Ventures Strat today thru my Vibrolux, very impressed.

The construction is excellent, much better then my CIJ Bass IV. It feels and looks meticulously put together. I was doubtful of a Fender Japan 'Custom Shop', but apparently it does exist as the quality of this guitar is top notch.

The Lace Gold pickups are incredibly Strat-like, but not in a modern, sterile way. I was afraid I wouldn't like these pickups, and while they wouldn't be my first choice (I'm spoiled by a set of Sheptones in a '58 Strat), they do a convincing vintage single coil tone. The mid boost is fun too, providing a nice subtle overdrive as you crank the knob, great for a bluesy tone. I can see why Gerry likes this 'Clapton' setup, it suits his swampy, country-blues style.

Based on how much I like the Stratocaster, if the 50th Anniversary Jazzmaster and Jazz Bass fell in my lap at a reasonable price, I'd pick them up as well :D

vibramute
Top Producer

Postby vibramute » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:52 pm

A quick snap...

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:56 pm

Good quality Strats have a permanent place in NA music...their sound is unmistakable!
Olrocknroller

Haole Jim
Top Producer

Postby Haole Jim » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:11 pm

Congtrats, very nice. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”