Adventures in tolex!

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Re: Adventures in tolex!

Postby olrocknroller » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:49 pm

Nice cover-up! I've never attempted "upholstering" a speaker cab, but this looks do-able. Until now, I've used rock-guard spray on cabs I've built...rock-hard, wears great, but definitely lacking in the looks department. :( The new grille cloth works wonders too! Another project added to the growing list!

olrnr
Olrocknroller

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:11 pm

For those that may want to re-tolex an amp, my research on other forums has come up with some various glues being used by hobbyist. Basically I use Elmer's Carpenters glue for all the wide flat spots. I spread it all over the surface using a squeegee. I leave all the edges for Weldwood Original contact glue. That way I can spread and the Tolex to get all surface flat and free of bubbles, then pull the edges tight and secure them with the contact glue once it has surface dried. I haven't tried commercial Tolex glue because it is too expensive. However, the following glues are suppose to be basically the same glue or at least have been used with great results. They are all water based contact glues and can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot except for the first one.

Wilson Art H20, this is suppose to be the same Tolex glue packaged for Mojo Amps.

Weldwood water based contact cement

Formica brand 160 water base glue

DAP water base glue

Red Label DAP contact cement
Danny Ellison

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:47 am

I love this, Mel! And if none other than 'Tolex Danny' thinks it's great, then who am I to think otherwise?! :D
Thank you for having some spare time! (any more projects?)

-Paul

JimPage
Top Producer

Postby JimPage » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:36 am

Wow, Mel, great job. Sarah, the original Showman cabinet I used to have in the '60s was white or beige, so Mel's finished one looks perfect to me!

By the way, Mel, I was stuck in the Bethesda Row (Maryland) Apple Store yesterday for several hours getting my iPad replaced, and I was wearing the red-on-red Mosrite forum shirt you designed and produced. I was sitting there thinking how the numerous other folks in the place, which is one of the toniest suburbs in this country, were obviously capable of writing bigger checks than I ever could!

I felt better when this very well-dressed man approached me and said, "Excuse me for saying this as a complete stranger, but I just wanted to say you have the coolest shirt in the building!" Then another person said, "Yeah; I keep looking at that shirt and thinking of so many great bands that played Mosrites!!!"

Back to Tolex. I read that in the '50s, Fender used hide glue as an adhesive, and later went to something like Elmer's. Don't know how accurate that is. Rocco (Zarfnober on this forum) is reTolexing the piggyback head cabinet for my Tremolux in the original black as we speak. I asked him to take photos so maybe we can see some.

Great job, Mel!

--Jim
• '99 Martin D-41
• '67 Mosrite Celebrity II
• '72 Mosrite Celebrity III
• '83 Tokai TST56
• '10 Hallmark Barris Krest
• '10 Hallmark 60 Custom
• '10 Hallmark Stradette
• '50s Tele Clone
• Basses: Ashbory, Hofner, 51RI Precision, 5-string, fretless

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:58 am

Bingo, Mel. You nailed it on the first try. Excellent job!
Dennis
So many guitars; So little time ..

jnslobaugh
Top Producer

Postby jnslobaugh » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:58 pm

looks great, and the commentary with supporting photos?
Fantastic!!!

FYI... I'm still searching for --- Black Ostrich Vinyl for my Mosrite if anyone has any leads...
I do have black ostrich (faux leather) which looks just like the Bad Cat Amps covering... http://www.soundpure.com/p/bad-cat-black-cat-guitar-amplifier-head-blk-os-blk-os/1422
I know it would look great but quite honestly, I still have the obvious reservations about pulling the trigger on that...

Great Job Mel, and thanks for the inspiration...

Jeff Lobaugh
JEFFREY S. LOBAUGH

stl80
Top Producer

Postby stl80 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:17 am

Good job and nice rig.
Jim

oigun
Top Producer

Postby oigun » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:44 am

WOW! That really looks sharp!

zarfnober
Top Producer

Postby zarfnober » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:56 pm

dubtrub wrote:For those that may want to re-tolex an amp, my research on other forums has come up with some various glues being used by hobbyist. Basically I use Elmer's Carpenters glue for all the wide flat spots. I spread it all over the surface using a squeegee. I leave all the edges for Weldwood Original contact glue. That way I can spread and the Tolex to get all surface flat and free of bubbles, then pull the edges tight and secure them with the contact glue once it has surface dried. I haven't tried commercial Tolex glue because it is too expensive. However, the following glues are suppose to be basically the same glue or at least have been used with great results. They are all water based contact glues and can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot except for the first one.

Wilson Art H20, this is suppose to be the same Tolex glue packaged for Mojo Amps.

Weldwood water based contact cement

Formica brand 160 water base glue

DAP water base glue

Red Label DAP contact cement

I have not used any of the above except for the Wilson Art H20, which did not work. Any of these water based glues lose their "stick" if the product freezes. I bought mine at Home Depot, it was dusty on the top.

Mojo and any of the others selling tolex glue charge an arm and a leg for it, even buying 5 gallons at a time. I found the source for this glue locally, but you have to buy 5 gallons at a time. I did save over $100 on my dealer price from Mojo though.

Contrary to what they say, it is not an "easy clean up with soap and water". After doing a few hundred cabs however, I've developed ways to make this stuff very easy and clean(but not easy to clean) to work with. However, once it dries, it's dry. Takes paint stripper to remove it from brushes and most surfaces.

I haven't tried the spray type contact cement but, if you're careful, it's probably the easiest way for home covering. There are 2 types, one is stickier than the other, both are solvent based and STINK. The water based stuff has an odor but is harmless, so far anyway!

Or you can call me and have it professionally recovered :mrgreen:

Rocco
www.rockometeramp.com Vinatge spec American and British style cabs, custom cabs, recovers, regrills and restorations.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:05 pm

So, what glue do you recommend?
Danny Ellison

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”