Should I put a Bigsby on my Les Paul?

fuzztone

Should I put a Bigsby on my Les Paul?

Postby fuzztone » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:13 pm

Like the "Keithburst"?

ImageImage

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Re: Should I put a Bigsby on my Les Paul?

Postby olrocknroller » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:25 pm

Most people find Bigsbys don't have a lot of range in the amount they change the note, which is fine if you only want a mild tremolo, but "dive-bombing" is definitely not on the menu with these trems. I have increased the range quite a bit by enlarging the back cross-shaft, but it still is pretty mild compared to more modern trems...
Olrocknroller

FritzCat
Top Producer

Postby FritzCat » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:37 pm

Of course you should! Here's one way to do it without drilling any holes in case you change your mind and don't like it http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-v7-lp-install.php

fuzztone

Postby fuzztone » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:28 pm

FritzCat wrote:Of course you should! Here's one way to do it without drilling any holes in case you change your mind and don't like it http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-v7-lp-install.php

Thanks,That look great. I think I might get one.

vjf1968
Top Producer

Postby vjf1968 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:42 am

olrocknroller wrote:Most people find Bigsbys don't have a lot of range in the amount they change the note, which is fine if you only want a mild tremolo, but "dive-bombing" is definitely not on the menu with these trems. I have increased the range quite a bit by enlarging the back cross-shaft, but it still is pretty mild compared to more modern trems...

Well the Les Paul's top is arched so he will have more play in the Bigsby then it would on say a Tele.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:05 am

If your Les Paul is an expensive model I'd give it a lot of thought before altering it.

Do you really use a tremolo a lot, or just trying to make the guitar look like Keith's?

For most of the music I play I don't really use the tremolo. I've taken the arm off of my Strat just to get it out of my way. On my Gretsches and Mosrites, I rarely use them unless I'm doing a particular Rockabilly tune.
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

olrocknroller
Top Producer

Postby olrocknroller » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:59 am

Sarah93003 wrote:If your Les Paul is an expensive model I'd give it a lot of thought before altering it.

Do you really use a tremolo a lot, or just trying to make the guitar look like Keith's?

For most of the music I play I don't really use the tremolo. I've taken the arm off of my Strat just to get it out of my way. On my Gretsches and Mosrites, I rarely use them unless I'm doing a particular Rockabilly tune.

Me too. Nokie showed me some of his licks, and one of them replaces the tremolo completely...thus his guitar doesn't have one. When he wants to "dive-bomb" a note, or notes, he fingers the note flat by a half, or a full tone, bends it up to pitch, picks it, brings it down to the pitch where he's fingering, then brings it back up to pitch, complete with the "warbling" effect if he wants it. Since he showed me that, I actually find it easier than fishing for the trem handle in the middle of a tricky lick... This works to replace B-benders as well!
Olrocknroller

vjf1968
Top Producer

Postby vjf1968 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:27 pm

Sarah93003 wrote:If your Les Paul is an expensive model I'd give it a lot of thought before altering it.

The Vibramate eliminates the need for any drilling. All you have to do is remove the tail piece and screws and replace that with the bracket and screw it in. Attach the Bigsby to the Vibramate and put it the whole assembly on the guitar. Secure the Bigsby on the strap button on the end. It is not permanent so if you sell the guitar its easily reversable.

All th parts that touch the guitar are covered in felt so your in no danger of scratching the top of the guitar.

Sarah93003
Master Contributor

Postby Sarah93003 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:46 pm

vjf1968 wrote:

The Vibramate eliminates the need for any drilling. All you have to do is remove the tail piece and screws and replace that with the bracket and screw it in. Attach the Bigsby to the Vibramate and put it the whole assembly on the guitar. Secure the Bigsby on the strap button on the end. It is not permanent so if you sell the guitar its easily reversable.

All th parts that touch the guitar are covered in felt so your in no danger of scratching the top of the guitar.

Well then, there ya go! ;)
1982 Fender Bullet
1994 Gretsch Streamliner G3155 Custom
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
2006 Jude Les Paul 12 String

fuzztone

Postby fuzztone » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:37 pm

Thanks! I bought this this Les Paul used. It is a little beat up already so I don't think the mod would hurt it.

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”