My '65 Standel

Damon67

My '65 Standel

Postby Damon67 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:45 pm

Several months ago, after I had sent the doubleneck into Bob Shade for restoration, I found this baby. I figured it went along well, kinda like a big bold red goes with a juicy steak. It's in perfect shape and even has the original footswitch. Pretty cool, and the clean tone is just that, very clean.

My Guitars
Bellevue,WA

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: My '65 Standel

Postby dubtrub » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:26 pm

What a beautiful amp. I find it interesting (or maybe not) that there are so many similarities between the Standel amp and the production Mosrite Amps (not the Award amps). Looks like the same grill cloth.

As we already know Semie was having a lot of direct dealings with Standel. This might be another interesting twist of history involving the Mosrite connection. Eddie Sanner where are you? ;)
Danny Ellison

ElTwang
Top Producer

Postby ElTwang » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:35 am

Damon67 - you just seem to track down a lot of cool stuff. Wasn't it Wes Montgomery that played those solid state Standels?

Mr. Bill
Top Producer

Postby Mr. Bill » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:18 am

Again, another cool find. I have a later model Standel Artist XII. It is nowhere as nice as yours, I really like the ostrich skin covering on yours.

Wes Montgomery did play a solid state Standel with a 15 inch speaker. I can't remember if it was a Custom or a Studio model.

Damon67

Postby Damon67 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:37 am

Yeah, Wes played the higher end models. This one has the 4 Jensen speakers. It's really in good shape though. I couldn't believe it when the guy pulled out the amp cover. He bought it new. Footswitch is in perfect shape too. The guy never used it, and he hadn't been using the amp since his college days.

I like the pure clean channel better than the reverb/tremolo. It does a surprising good job as an acoustic amp too.
My Guitars
Bellevue,WA

Return to “Other Instruments, Equipment, Accessories & Projects”